Black Metal.

Recieved a nice order today from Ajna Offensive:
Antaeus - Blood Libels (Really nice packaging for the album)
Deathspell Omega - Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice (Been meaning to buy this for a while)
Watain - Sworn to the Dark (Forced myself not to listen before buying)

I'm sorry, but where the hell am I flaming someone? By the fucking gods, you pull this out of your ass because you, personally, have an issue with my opinions. I knew your moderatorship was going to be questionable at best, but you've truly outdone yourself on this one. And if you think for a second that your position somehow give your opinion more weight, your delusions just reached sky-high boundaries.

I am never flaming, I am never trolling and I certainly make a hell of a lot less personal attacks than ANY GIVEN MEMBER on this forum. In fact, look at the beginning of your own post, and see that you have just made a more blatant personal attack than I have in this entire thread, hypocrite! I'm sorry if discussions that don't follow the standard "X band rule. Yeah they totally do." formula go over your head, but that is really not my problem.

Now, if you have further issues with me, a PM would be in order, something I surely don't have to tell you, O mighty moderator. I will, however, NOT stop posting here, just because you find my opinions hard to swallow.

Oh, and get over yourself.

Arguments happen all the time. It's part of discussion, especially on a forum. Don't play the "asshole mod" card, it has nothing to do with that.

[/participation]

I'm sorry, but where the hell am I flaming someone? By the fucking gods, you pull this out of your ass because you, personally, have an issue with my opinions. I knew your moderatorship was going to be questionable at best, but you've truly outdone yourself on this one. And if you think for a second that your position somehow give your opinion more weight, your delusions just reached sky-high boundaries.

I am never flaming, I am never trolling and I certainly make a hell of a lot less personal attacks than ANY GIVEN MEMBER on this forum. In fact, look at the beginning of your own post, and see that you have just made a more blatant personal attack than I have in this entire thread, hypocrite! I'm sorry if discussions that don't follow the standard "X band rule. Yeah they totally do." formula go over your head, but that is really not my problem.

Now, if you have further issues with me, a PM would be in order, something I surely don't have to tell you, O mighty moderator. I will, however, NOT stop posting here, just because you find my opinions hard to swallow.

Oh, and get over yourself.

alrite man thats cool :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: lets be friends

Well, the state of the Norwegian society is vastly different now than it was for fifteen, twenty years ago. Obviously, an enormous cultural heritage isn't going to be enough to produce good black metal; other factors come into play as well. I suppose the early Norwegian black metal bands were just the right people at the right time and at the right place.
I'd love to see some elaboration on this point, especially from someone who's been in Norway and around the scene for so long. :)

V.V.V.V.V. said:
I realize a lot of modern bands are not playing the style for the "right reasons" but let's also not forget that black metal's ideals were basically a hilarious joke (or, that's how they began).
Is that relevant? :confused: It stopped being a joke over 20 years ago, didn't it?

I don't give a shit I'm done arguing about it now. It's not even really worth it to me. If black metal's your life or something, that's cool. I like the MUSIC I like...and I don't care about the dumb themes, politics, or aesthetics that go with them for the most part...in a lot of ways, I guess black metal seems to be lost on me. Ignorance is bliss, I guess?

I'd love to see some elaboration on this point, especially from someone who's been in Norway and around the scene for so long. :)

Well, first and foremost, there is no scene anymore. At least not a coherent one. Back in the days, everyone knew everyone, and gaining "entrance" into the scene, so to speak was definitely not guaranteed by just showing up in a cook t-shirt. Now, the "scene" is flooded with left-wing hippies and open-minded people. It is faaaar less esoteric than it once was. And that is just when talking about the metal scene, which, in many ways is a distorted reflection of our whole society.

Another great different, would also be that fifteen years ago, there was actually such a thing as a taboo subject. And that meant that the artists didn't have to make ridiculous gimmicks out of themselves (at least not the same degree as they must today! :D ), they could just speak what was on their honest minds and could focus on the thing that is vastly more important than image; the music. Nowadays bands strive waaay to much to be noticed. And as we all know, if you want to be noticed quickly, quality in your music won't be on the top of your check list.

Bah, I could probably write a lot more on this subject, but this should cover the more important aspects, I think. If you want to know more, feel free to ask, of course!

Haha you're a FUCKING IDIOT.

I'm also 18, and the moderator of the forum. If you want to keep going here, you will stop being such a pig-headed moron. Your posts usually involve personal attacks, flames, or pointless trolling under the guise of "discussion-starting." Call me biased (I am, I'm denying nothing), but I don't think that if you can sink that low you should be able to stay. Take your knowledge and preach to someone who believes that black metal is more politics and stupid worthless ideologies and thoughts than music and sound. I, for one, am fucking sick of you.

LOL

Why in the fuck hasn't Deron fulfilled my ban request for you yet, you fucking monstrosity.

@Crimson Velvet: I'm not really an arguing kinda guy...you could call it a cop-out but I just don't feel like it much. I would much rather hear about people discussing excellent BM bands old and new rather than the themes and stuff. We all have different opinion on that stuff and it's good, but it is sometimes not worth the argument.

Well, first and foremost, there is no scene anymore. At least not a coherent one. Back in the days, everyone knew everyone, and gaining "entrance" into the scene, so to speak was definitely not guaranteed by just showing up in a cook t-shirt. Now, the "scene" is flooded with left-wing hippies and open-minded people. It is faaaar less esoteric than it once was. And that is just when talking about the metal scene, which, in many ways is a distorted reflection of our whole society.

Another great different, would also be that fifteen years ago, there was actually such a thing as a taboo subject. And that meant that the artists didn't have to make ridiculous gimmicks out of themselves (at least not the same degree as they must today! :D ), they could just speak what was on their honest minds and could focus on the thing that is vastly more important than image; the music. Nowadays bands strive waaay to much to be noticed. And as we all know, if you want to be noticed quickly, quality in your music won't be on the top of your check list.

Bah, I could probably write a lot more on this subject, but this should cover the more important aspects, I think. If you want to know more, feel free to ask, of course!
I was hoping for something more specific; I don't disagree with you but your comments sound like vague nostalgia that could easily apply to most any scene, I think. :) I wonder if there is something specific to your scene you could share, some anecdote that would illustrate this decline more thoroughly for the rest of us. Feel free to name names. :D

V.V.V.V.V. said:
I don't give a shit I'm done arguing about it now. It's not even really worth it to me. If black metal's your life or something, that's cool. I like the MUSIC I like...and I don't care about the dumb themes, politics, or aesthetics that go with them for the most part...in a lot of ways, I guess black metal seems to be lost on me. Ignorance is bliss, I guess?
Hey, I love the MUSIC just as much, so much that I'd rather not refer to certain aspects of it as "dumb". ;) There's that entertainment vs. art thing again...

Hey, I love the MUSIC just as much, so much that I'd rather not refer to certain aspects of it as "dumb". ;) There's that entertainment vs. art thing again...

To me, music and words are definitely very separate. I believe that black metal can be alienated completely from its old-style themes and still be black metal, despite what so many purists think. I don't like debating about ART VS. ENTERTAINMENT because it turns into a lame rhetoric debate which I tend to avoid due to the fact that they're usually very circuitous.

To me, music and words are definitely very separate. I believe that black metal can be alienated completely from its old-style themes and still be black metal, despite what so many purists think.
This mentality always confuses me - it seems easy to separate the music into separate pieces at your end, but you would think that the artists put them all there for a reason. :confused: Listening for just the aural dimension of music seems to me like reading Nietzsche for the puns. But you got yours and I got mine as Lemmy says. :)
I don't like debating about ART VS. ENTERTAINMENT because it turns into a lame rhetoric debate which I tend to avoid due to the fact that they're usually very circuitous.
There's no debate to be had here; I'm speaking of the level on which we are appreciating the music. So it isn't one piece of music versus another that I am alluding to, but a single given piece interpreted differently by two people: one focuses on the parts that stimulate them and ignores the parts that interfere with him being entertained, one looks at the music as a whole and tries to appreciate it as a piece of art. Two different schools of thought (not to say that one is 'better' than the other) that would perhaps be best off if they were polite and respected the other's desire for discussion. ;)