Black Metal.

Yeah, there's something about German black metal that just doesn't seem to click with me. I like Falkenbach, but that's about it.

Is there any German BM out there worth giving a shot?

I've heard Nagelfar and wasn't too thrilled. I know you (Dodens) said Anael was great like early Samael and Morrigan is Celtic-influenced stuff.

I've also heard good things about Suidakra, particularly their comparisons to Borknagar.

Suidakra is decent, not black metal in the slightest and they do not even remotely compare to Borknagar sound wise.

But get The Arcanum and Emprise to Avalon and be done with them.

What are some more recent black metal bands that are sort of thrashy, mostly black metal with thrash riffs thrown in the middle occasionally like early Bathory and Mayhem? Absu? I haven't really listened to them all that much.

What are some more recent black metal bands that are sort of thrashy, mostly black metal with thrash riffs thrown in the middle occasionally like early Bathory and Mayhem? Absu? I haven't really listened to them all that much.

Absu is pretty good but i've only heard their Tara album so i dont really know. Similar bands would be Sarcofago, Destroyer 666, and Necrodeath

I knew those were coming. Not bad bands.

Okay, here's an example. Bathory's Sadist song off of ...The Return is pure black metal until about halfway through, where it turns to a pure thrash/heavy metal riff. No integration.

Absurd is awful.

Ironically, the earlier material is awful, but its this very period which some deem important due to Hendrik Möbus actually still being in the band. Musically, I find their later material to be pretty kickass and preferable. A shame about their stupid political leanings though.

Yeah, there's something about German black metal that just doesn't seem to click with me. I like Falkenbach, but that's about it.

Absurd are the undisputed kings of German Black Metal, but their best material (pre-2000) is pretty inaccessible.

Some others:

Bergthron
Bethlehem
Dark Tribe (Best band in recent years, imo)
Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult
Deinonychus
Eminenz
Martyrium
Nox Intempesta
Nyktalgia
Pest
Ungod

Heaps of good stuff there.

As stated before Katharsis is a great band. Also someone mentioned Nagelfar, and I will also agree. One spin-off band from Nagelfar that I suggest is Ruins of Beverast. They play raw black metal but with some heavy industrial and ambient influences as well as some doomy sections for good measure. I suggest the album "Unlock the Shrine" first then "Rain Upon the Impure."
Here's a link to a track from "Unlock the Shrine" (song is at bottom of page):
http://www.van-gbr.de/gemeinsame Seiten/RuinsInfo.htm

Ironically, the earlier material is awful, but its this very period which some deem important due to Hendrik Möbus actually still being in the band. Musically, I find their later material to be pretty kickass and preferable. A shame about their stupid political leanings though.

No! Facta Loquntuur and Asgardsrei are brilliant albums! It's all about spirit. The former easily takes a very high spot in my top ten.

I knew those were coming. Not bad bands.

Okay, here's an example. Bathory's Sadist song off of ...The Return is pure black metal until about halfway through, where it turns to a pure thrash/heavy metal riff. No integration.

Only thing i've got for you is early Samael like Blood Ritual and some stuff from Anael. Sorry for being lazy and not listening to that song but from what you've described this is what i can come up with. And these two bands are probably ones you already know of so yeah.