Black Metal.

and I know I shouldn't help derail the thread but come on! the promo sheet says the band is trying to do a throwback to 80s thrash metal!

uhhh

I'll put on Dekapitator instead

edit: I listened to Negura Bunget's OM the whole way through for the first time in a while...goddammit that's such an amazing album

I also don't consider it a throwback really, it obviously has a contemporary touch in it, and I really don't feel that much of an aggressive tone in the songs - but hey, I got it for free (album review for a zine).

Structures are also pretty simple, although there were a few good tracks. I'll take Razor of Occam any day though over Blood Tsunami, as I prefer my thrash blackened.

Anyone here like Secrets of the Moon?

I wouldn't call them thrash either, especially not throwback thrash. However, I do like how they have come up with such a crystal clear sound in a more than probable shit studio. Also I like long intro's, and this band is chalk full of them. And Killing Spree's intro sounds Slayer-esque.

Edit: How do you guys find new bands? Personally, being from CO its not like Metal has a great exposure, so the majority of new stuff i hear about comes from shows i go to and asking the musicians, or from here. To tell you the truth sitting on the internet all day searching for a new band to listen to is pretty boring, especially when one site will give a cd a 9.5 and another will give it a 4. Suggestions?

Editx2: as for BM, I'm pretty sure Dark Funeral is on tour/going on tour with Naglfar. At least they are here on the 25th of may i think? Worth going to? Isn't Emperor there too? Did I make this up completely and was dreaming of a good concert?

Secrets of the Moon is a great band :kickass:

...I discover bands on my own, mainly through downloading and checking out new bands/albums that way. It's for sure the best way to discover new bands. If it wasn't for downloading I wouldn't be listening 95% of the stuff I currently enjoy.

Indeed, but only from what i've heard on the internet. Hopefully i'll get my hands on Antithesis next weekend, along with the Deathspell Omega/Moonblood split and Emperor's Wrath of the Tyrant.

Antithesis is a fucking great album. Very original and different from most black metal.

as for discovering new bands, I find all of my bands here on GMD and Metal Archives...and I do some blind buys every now and then.

Figured this was noteworthy since I recall Life Sucks raving about this a couple years ago:

According to Metal-Archives, Undercover Records is going to reissue Mjölnir (Ger) - Hinweg über die Tore der Zeit. I don't see any information about this on the Undercover website though, so I don't know how true/official this is.

What is everyone's thoughts on "bedroom" black metal bands - Are they respectable or not to be taken seriously?

If a 'bedroom' black metal band releases a great album, are you hesitant to acknowledge it, and hold it to a lower acclaim because of it?

Totally respectable, as long as they're good. Not everyone can find complimentary band members or afford studio time. Black metal is hardly dependent on studio production anyway, so it's very possible to produce good music from a low-end home studio.

What is everyone's thoughts on "bedroom" black metal bands - Are they respectable or not to be taken seriously?

If a 'bedroom' black metal band releases a great album, are you hesitant to acknowledge it, and hold it to a lower acclaim because of it?

Bedroom black metal bands are fine. The thing that gets me is when they slap it on like a fucking label or bragging right.

"also, so-and-so records all of his music in his bedroom."

is that supposed to score you kvlt points or something? Some band actualy did that, I forget which one.

Bedroom black metal bands are fine. The thing that gets me is when they slap it on like a fucking label or bragging right.

"also, so-and-so records all of his music in his bedroom."

is that supposed to score you kvlt points or something? Some band actualy did that, I forget which one.

I argee. Most good Black metal bands record on four tracks. I just dont know how they get that "necro" sound. You can record on a four track and still get a clean track.

I think it's fine. With the state of home recording today there can be some great things done at home.

Theoretically, "bedroom" Black Metal is fine, but the reality is that this 'style' of Black Metal has the highest percentage of utter shit.