Black Metal.

I don't think it's all that fair to call them a joke. They clearly put enough effort into their music to create an album (Genevieve) that stands as a very strong album regardless of the motivations behind it. It will go down as one of the best albums of this decade.

What's sad is that they had the potential to make a lot of great music, but too many drugs did them in. Genevieve is unique in it's sound and concepts, and I can't say there's any other album like it. A must for fans of minimal BM.

Edit: They claimed to have recorded numerous albums prior to the ones that were released. No such albums exist. This served to build up a kvlt reputation, since no one had these mythical albums, and everyone wanted them. They also claimed that they held wild concerts in warehouses where all sorts of illegal acts took place. They claimed their original drummer died, forcing them to go with a drum machine. That may actually be true. They also said that they ran their amps through a fishtank full of water, wine, and blood, in order to get their unique sound. You can read about all of these things on their original website, which still exists. The link is on metal archives.

Their new site was updated within the past few months. If they can shake their drug problems, maybe they have some original music, metal or not, left in them.

Edit: They claimed to have recorded numerous albums prior to the ones that were released. No such albums exist. This served to build up a kvlt reputation, since no one had these mythical albums, and everyone wanted them. They also claimed that they held wild concerts in warehouses where all sorts of illegal acts took place. They claimed their original drummer died, forcing them to go with a drum machine. That may actually be true. They also said that they ran their amps through a fishtank full of water, wine, and blood, in order to get their unique sound. You can read about all of these things on their original website, which still exists. The link is on metal archives.

What the hell are these guys the fucking Spinal Tap of black metal or something?

I don't think it's all that fair to call them a joke. They clearly put enough effort into their music to create an album (Genevieve) that stands as a very strong album regardless of the motivations behind it. It will go down as one of the best albums of this decade.

What's sad is that they had the potential to make a lot of great music, but too many drugs did them in. Genevieve is unique in it's sound and concepts, and I can't say there's any other album like it. A must for fans of minimal BM.

Their new site was updated within the past few months. If they can shake their drug problems, maybe they have some original music, metal or not, left in them.

I always wonderd how drugs never did lennon in.

Haha, it is one of my top 10 BM albums, but I have incredibly skewed BM tastes compared to most so I doubt that has much weight for others.

Velvet Cacoon's Genevieve is an absolute fucking masterpiece, despite their otherwise shady personas and theivery.

Were they serious with there storys. I mean did they do it for laughs. I just cant take them seriously. Anus.com did with that interview haha.

BTW THIS CAME FROM ANUS.COMS WEBSITE.
Death
One of the first to popularize (but not invent: Possessed, Massacra, Sepultura, Morbid Angel, Deathstrike, Hellhammer and Necrovore predate them) the death metal genre, Death bashed out simple structures from strips of chords and make declarative, intense works of violence. Their first three albums are simple death metal, and with "Human" they went progressive, but reverted to a technical heavy metal style for later works, which are overpraised. Vocalist/guitarist Chuck Schuldiner died of AIDS in 2001.

Were they serious with there storys. I mean did they do it for laughs. I just cant take them seriously. Anus.com did with that interview haha.

BTW THIS CAME FROM ANUS.COMS WEBSITE.

They were serious with the stories in one way - their mission was, from the begining, to make a rouse within the black metal scene, exploit the excitability of the scene in a sense - and become overnight BM celebrities. In that way they were serious, but were the stories true, no.

Haha, it is one of my top 10 BM albums, but I have incredibly skewed BM tastes compared to most so I doubt that has much weight for others.

Oh, it does! I love the type of music VC created with Genevieve whether you want to call it black metal or otherwise. Also, it has the spectacular effect of clearing up the issue of who is a moron and who is not. You know the morons are the ones who tell you that everyone who enjoys the album is somehow mistaken or doesn't know what they're talking about :lol: