Black Metal.

The only good shit BAN put out are the first two albums. Everything DSO has put out has been good.

TWWTG is a good album, and is worth seeking out. There was kind of an unfair backlash against it when it was very highly rated. Now it seems to be properly rated.

Kenose is a dramatically underrated album, considering how much talk SMRC gets. The extremely subtle use of motifs throughout the album makes it an incredibly unified and tight work.

I need to pick up some Inquisition. And about 100 other bands. I still haven't heard the new Graveland yet either, hopefully Vintage Vinyl will be able to get it within the next couple of weeks.

The music is secondary generally yes (Genevieve being the big exception to this), but Genevieve is the perfect example of how to bring black metal away from the typical atmosphere of forests and kvlt fjords, and to the vast expansive ocean, while still retaining a distinctly black metal sound, which isn't too "out there."

It is a masterpiece in every sense of the word as far as I'm concerned, I care not for the quality of their other albums because Genevieve they are not.
I would ask you to elaborate but you used the word "kvlt" so don't bother. ;)

Velvet Cacoon are about as "kvlt" as Milli Vanilli.

Never saw the big shit with DsO. Hirilorn is much better.

TWWTG flat out blows.

Has anybody heard this depressive black/doom band Donkelheet? I've heard it's pretty decent. And also two of its formers commited suicide.

p.s. why does almost all new black metal fucking suck? i downloaded the new peste noire people were shitting themselves over and, while it's competent, it has none of the romantic spirit or melodic intricacy that makes great black metal great. totally failed at transporting my mind to a spiritual realm of refreshment. fuck that shit!

I would ask you to elaborate but you used the word "kvlt" so don't bother. ;)

Obviously wasn't serious about it :p, anyone who uses that word seriously needs to get help.

Just Genevieve has a very oceanic feel, much more akin to the atmosphere of Isis's album Oceanic (heh, go figure) than it is to the forest and frozen mountains feeling that alot of BM goes for.

edit:
p.s. why does almost all new black metal fucking suck? i downloaded the new peste noire people were shitting themselves over and, while it's competent, it has none of the romantic spirit or melodic intricacy that makes great black metal great. totally failed at transporting my mind to a spiritual realm of refreshment. fuck that shit!

Retroism is all really, it isn't the problem of the bands - but with your retroism I'm betting.

Obviously wasn't serious about it :p, anyone who uses that word seriously needs to get help.

Just Genevieve has a very oceanic feel, much more akin to the atmosphere of Isis's album Oceanic (heh, go figure) than it is to the forest and frozen mountains feeling that alot of BM goes for.

edit:

Retroism is all really, it isn't the problem of the bands - but with your retroism I'm betting.

its got nothing to do with the sound of the records, but the spirit. drudkh is good (at least their first 2, i havent listened to the others enough to say), dso's 2004 album was good, alcest are fantastic, i hear from people i trust that fanisk is good though i haven't heard them yet.....a lot of these bands just seem to want to sound 'dark' and 'evil' or something and theres really nothing else driving the music. you can hear the sense of wonder in burzum, in emperor's first album, you can hear the joy in alcest, the reverence in drudkh... much of new black metal communicates none of that to me. if wanting to music to sound passionately played and like its players really believe in something is 'retroist', then i guess i am retroist. personally i think the black metal scene is so bad right now people are willing to heap praise on bands who get even the rudimentary elements right.