Black Metal.

i discovered The Ruins of Beverast recently, a one man band performing atmospheric black/doom metal with lots of gregorian chants.

he made two albums.... both 80 mins long, not so easy listening!

Rain Upon the Impure is quite similar to Darkspace - I i say.

i discovered The Ruins of Beverast recently, a one man band performing atmospheric black/doom metal with lots of gregorian chants.

I am liking the ideas of chants

Great band. It's the drummer from Nagelfar's one-man project. Rain Upon the Impure took me a while to get into, mostly due to the production, but it's as great if not better than Unlock the Shrine.

I think Morrigan's 6th album, The Damned, should be out by now. I've heard one track from it on the label's page, and it sounds like the standard fare, so if you like their previous albums, you'll probably like the new one.

I wish I had been able to get in on this sooner.

Some points I have about USBM.

1.) It's an active scene that can actually be followed from day to day. I love the second wave bands as much as anybody, but they're all done. There's nothing new coming out of there. Arcturus and DHG? No thanks. With the US scene, many of the bands are active and releasing material quite regularly. I enjoy following how bands progress and how their music changes. Being in the US, it's easier to keep track of such things, considering interviews and information is always in English.

2.) I know people involved with bands here and people that run labels. I find it personally relevant to follow bands from here for building my band's own career.

3.) Hubster's theory of scene patriotism doesn't carry much weight to me. Consider ANUS, based in the US, which doesn't cut US bands any slack at all.

4.) The most important point I wanted to make: The US scene has more potential that any other. History has shown that great metal comes from lots of bands in close proximity that competed for greatness and shared members, i.e. Bay Area, Florida, Norway, Gothenburg. Geography has largely kept this from happening up until recently, and I think in a few years we'll see some of the rewards. A project like Twilight, now with Aaron Turner of Isis in the fold could be something like we've never heard before. A lot of the key figures are in contact, and this can only be a good thing. I think a lot of the bands are just starting to come into their own, and the best material is on the way.

5.) Xasthur is like an old friend to me. Yes, I know that every Xasthur release sounds (musically) the same. I don't really care. I like the familiarity, and the atmosphere works for me.

6.) The bands that are really ideologically driven aren't my favorites for the most part. Consider Averse Sefira, Weakling, Wolves in the Throne Room. These are the most ideological, and most pretentious of the US bands. How people can laud pretentious crap like Weakling and dislike the most down to earth bands like Nachtmystium or Xasthur is confusing. If you think about it, few people treat their fans better than Malefic. He releases just about everything he records, because he knows there's demand for it. Releases are prompt and frequent, and he delivers the goods to fans time and again.

I guess that's enough for now.

I wish I had been able to get in on this sooner.

Some points I have about USBM.

1.) It's an active scene that can actually be followed from day to day. I love the second wave bands as much as anybody, but they're all done. There's nothing new coming out of there. Arcturus and DHG? No thanks. With the US scene, many of the bands are active and releasing material quite regularly. I enjoy following how bands progress and how their music changes. Being in the US, it's easier to keep track of such things, considering interviews and information is always in English.

2.) I know people involved with bands here and people that run labels. I find it personally relevant to follow bands from here for building my band's own career.

3.) Hubster's theory of scene patriotism doesn't carry much weight to me. Consider ANUS, based in the US, which doesn't cut US bands any slack at all.

4.) The most important point I wanted to make: The US scene has more potential that any other. History has shown that great metal comes from lots of bands in close proximity that competed for greatness and shared members, i.e. Bay Area, Florida, Norway, Gothenburg. Geography has largely kept this from happening up until recently, and I think in a few years we'll see some of the rewards. A project like Twilight, now with Aaron Turner of Isis in the fold could be something like we've never heard before. A lot of the key figures are in contact, and this can only be a good thing. I think a lot of the bands are just starting to come into their own, and the best material is on the way.

5.) Xasthur is like an old friend to me. Yes, I know that every Xasthur release sounds (musically) the same. I don't really care. I like the familiarity, and the atmosphere works for me.

6.) The bands that are really ideologically driven aren't my favorites for the most part. Consider Averse Sefira, Weakling, Wolves in the Throne Room. These are the most ideological, and most pretentious of the US bands. How people can laud pretentious crap like Weakling and dislike the most down to earth bands like Nachtmystium or Xasthur is confusing. If you think about it, few people treat their fans better than Malefic. He releases just about everything he records, because he knows there's demand for it. Releases are prompt and frequent, and he delivers the goods to fans time and again.

I guess that's enough for now.

good work :kickass:

I disagree, everything recorded should be released, but b-sides and stuff not cut for full releases should be released on compilations that are specifically for b-sides and stuff not on full releases.

As for USBM... I really enjoy the scene. Leviathan has got a lot of attack against them, but I find their music very very... satisfying. Same with Xasthur, amazing depressive black metal band, and if your attacking them for sounding the same, you really shouldn't be in the black metal scene as their is a lot of repetivity in it. That's what makes the sound so familiar. Bands like Wolves in the Throne Room, Weakling, Twilight, all amazing bands. I can see why people might say they're untr00 or whatever cause they are wayyyy diffrent then the European scene, but that's ok, because diffrent scenes are meant to sound diffrent. If you realize that then it's not so bad.

Bands shouldn't release everything they record, only that which is worth releasing.
Well, I can't say with any certainty that Xasthur releases everything, but there have been many releases over the years. Check out his 2004 output on M-A (two full-lengths and four splits). Some of the splits were done as favors to bands or were encouraged by label politics. The Xasthur s/t EP was done to get out of a contractual obligation. Labels are also very interested in rereleasing stuff, since Xasthur sells well.

Since there hasn't been a significant drop in quality, I don't see the problem with bulk releases like this.

I disagree, everything recorded should be released, but b-sides and stuff not cut for full releases should be released on compilations that are specifically for b-sides and stuff not on full releases.

You think things not worth releasing should be released?

I hate the policy of bands releasing every fucking thing they ever put down on tape. It just reeks of self-importance. No sense of quality control whatsoever. Take a band like Countess. They have 12 releases out since about 1993 I believe, including a 3 year hiatus, which a new album coming out in August, yet Orlok has shelved several full albums' worth of material because he actually has a sense of quality control. Artists should have some dignity and only release the music that reflects well on them and not be so self-involved as to think that every song they pen is worth hearing.