Black Metal.

I wouldn't call it mediocrity, just a style that is so radically diffrent yet so the same that it's often misunderstood. I think that's the best way to put the USBM-scene, lost in interpetation. People get to worked up over it. I say just listen to the music, you like it listen to it, don't, don't listen to it.

Yes I agree with that, I listen to bands regardless of their location as well including some American black metal. But I just find that there are so many mediocre American black metal bands that are praised to no end, where as...I find that it just doesn't happen to that extent in any other current scene. France for example gets much recognition but I feel their scene in general is considerably better and worthy of the attention given.

You could've fooled me! I haven't seen one person from your country NOT say that a USBM band rules or something along that line.

Anyway - there is some good stuff. Weakling, Xasthur, LoC (better than his work on Leviathan), Veil.

Von is from San Francisco and they fucking suck. I live in California by the way.

And whomever said Vesperian Sorrow, I second that. Psychotic Sculpture is great.

Yes I agree with that, I listen to bands regardless of their location as well including some American black metal. But I just find that there are so many mediocre American black metal bands that are praised to no end, where as...I find that it just doesn't happen to that extent in any other current scene. France for example gets much recognition but I feel their scene in general is considerably better and worthy of the attention given.

You're clearly a liberal faggot who likes it in the butt with them damn Frenchie bastards. Where would they be if we hadn't been there on D-Day? Speakin' German!

If you hate America so much, why dontcha just move to Canada or something? ...Oh wait.

You're clearly a liberal faggot who likes it in the butt with them damn Frenchie bastards. Where would they be if we hadn't been there on D-Day? Speakin' German!

If you hate America so much, why dontcha just move to Canada or something? ...Oh wait.

No problema, I love German black metal as well.... :)

And I don't necessarily hate America...I just think much of the USBM is overrated which is my opinion.

See! This is exactly what I'm talking about! It's not that I hate Americans - ffs I'm obsessed with The West Wing :lol:

I just feel that US BM fans concentrate on USBM too much, this is all I'm trying to get across, and nearly all of you defend your scene by saying it rules etc. I can't recall the last time I saw an American BM fan on this board saying anything negative about USBM... seriously guys!

The reason I bring this up is that it makes talking about BM as a whole difficult with you guys. Nachtmystium comes up on every other page, and then one of you praises the USBM scene and everyone else jumps on as well. I really feel some of you are missing the whole thing with BM because you seem wrapped in the bubble of USBM and don't seem to want to branch out.

I'm not saying I'm the most open-minded guy there is, hell we all have our thing, but I find that the US BM fans on here don't care too much about anything other than USBM. Don't get me wrong - it's GOOD that you guys support your local scene, but balance out your knowledge etc and cut your bias towards USBM.

Now if I'm totally correct about how I feel about US fans and USBM, I probably will get very few abusive replies to this post. However, I don't think that's going to be the case.

Peace folks.

Boy, you got me there. Look at me just shooting off my ethnocentric opinions. I should be ashamed of myself.

Anyway, see my above post. You sound a little enamored with your theory there, but of course I can't really speak for my fellow countrymen here since I'm not that big of a BM fan, and I rarely look at this thread anyway.

Maybe I should listen to more of this stuff just to have something to talk about here. Seems like about half of the forum activity takes place in this thread. :Smug:

See! This is exactly what I'm talking about! It's not that I hate Americans - ffs I'm obsessed with The West Wing :lol:

I just feel that US BM fans concentrate on USBM too much, this is all I'm trying to get across, and nearly all of you defend your scene by saying it rules etc. I can't recall the last time I saw an American BM fan on this board saying anything negative about USBM... seriously guys!

The reason I bring this up is that it makes talking about BM as a whole difficult with you guys. Nachtmystium comes up on every other page, and then one of you praises the USBM scene and everyone else jumps on as well. I really feel some of you are missing the whole thing with BM because you seem wrapped in the bubble of USBM and don't seem to want to branch out.

I'm not saying I'm the most open-minded guy there is, hell we all have our thing, but I find that the US BM fans on here don't care too much about anything other than USBM. Don't get me wrong - it's GOOD that you guys support your local scene, but balance out your knowledge etc and cut your bias towards USBM.

Now if I'm totally correct about how I feel about US fans and USBM, I probably will get very few abusive replies to this post. However, I don't think that's going to be the case.

Peace folks.

I find it a little hard to believe that there exists anywhere a disproportionate number of black metal fans biased towards US acts. Not that they don't exist at all, but the genre, more so than almost any other metal sub-genre, has been so predominately European for nearly its whole existance that anyone into the music enough to call themselves a serious fan would have to be somewhat well-versed in other scenes around the world. Besides, most of the Americans I've met who are mostly into USBM aren't really big BM fans to begin with. They're a bunch of artsy-fartsy post-rock-listening hipsters who found out Malefic collaberated with SunnO))) and suddenly decided Xasthur was the greatest thing in metal.

Also, I'm not too sure how well the "supporting your local scene" argument really holds up unless, for instance, most Nachtmystium fans are from Illinois, most Leviathan fans are from California, most Averse Sefira fans are from Texas, etc. I don't consider these bands geographically any more local than your average Norwegian band, the difference being that the former happen to live under the same government as me.

I am an American; USBM is over-rated.

USBM isn't underrated at all - I think the amount of shit it gets balances out with the fanboy idiots. I try to defend the US scene when I can, because I do feel it gets unwarranted shit alot of the time - but it isn't like I love it. France is my BM home really.

I think you are totally wrong on this one Hubster. I cannot think of a single person on this board that cares only about USBM.

I think if anyone is wrapped up in bias, it is yourself.