Black Metal.

I listened to Transylvanian Hunger last night on the beach. I set up a beach fire to create the perfect setting. I really underestimated this album, I find it a lot better than Under a Funeral Moon. It has more emotion in its simple riffs in most of its songs, particularly the first and last track. I'm not sure if I can place this over A Blaze in the Northern Sky, but my friend was right when he claimed this was the heart and soul of black metal.

I listened to Transylvanian Hunger last night on the beach. I set up a beach fire to create the perfect setting. I really underestimated this album, I find it a lot better than Under a Funeral Moon. It has more emotion in its simple riffs in most of its songs, particularly the first and last track. I'm not sure if I can place this over A Blaze in the Northern Sky, but my friend was right when he claimed this was the heart and soul of black metal.

Transilvanian Hunger has an atmosphere that no black metal album can top.

In your own opinion, what are the most epic black metal albums in history? Albums that are incredibly vast, thunderous, larger than life, awe inspiring, and terrifyingly powerful. Here are mine:

Weakling - Dead as Dreams
The Ruins of Beverast - Rain Upon The Impure
Graveland - Creed of Iron / Will Stronger Than Death

...then everything else...

Hate Forest - Battlefields
Lurker of Chalice - Lurker of Chalice
Darkness - As The Last Star Falls From Heaven
Anti - The Insignificance of Life
Negura Bunget - Maiastru Sfetnic
Aeternus - Beyond the Wandering Moon

and a lot more I can't think of right now.

In your own opinion, what are the most epic black metal albums in history? Albums that are incredibly vast, thunderous, larger than life, awe inspiring, and terrifyingly powerful.

Borknagar - Quintessence
Borknagar - The Archaic Course
Borknagar - The Olden Domain B
Behemoth - Grom
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
Kataxu - Hunger of Elements
Satyricon - Nemesis Divina

In your own opinion, what are the most epic black metal albums in history? Albums that are incredibly vast, thunderous, larger than life, awe inspiring, and terrifyingly powerful.

Borknagar - Quintessence
Borknagar - The Archaic Course
Borknagar - The Olden Domain
Behemoth - Grom
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
Kataxu - Hunger of Elements
Satyricon - Nemesis Divina

Krieg ist krieg

That's a nice axiom you have there.

So, I've been gone for a bit...who's listened to the new Blut aus Nord sample (which was on their Myspace but now seems to be gone...?) from the new album Odinist? I have, and it's AWESOME. This is coming from not-so-much a fan anymore, due to MoRT, which was pretty boring, directionless/lifeless dissonance-exercising. Lame. Odinist is going to be more in line with the early material...so you should ALL like it, because early BAN is amazing.

In your own opinion, what are the most epic black metal albums in history? Albums that are incredibly vast, thunderous, larger than life, awe inspiring, and terrifyingly powerful. Here are mine:

A lot of good choices there, especially Battlefields. You somehow omitted Vikingligr Veldi from this list. Probably Darkspace too, although that album is too epic for me most of the time. Thorns s/t and Velvet Cacoon - Genevieve would go on my list.

A lot of good choices there, especially Battlefields. You somehow omitted Vikingligr Veldi from this list. Probably Darkspace too, although that album is too epic for me most of the time. Thorns s/t and Velvet Cacoon - Genevieve would go on my list.

I think you've confused the terms "epic" and "atmospheric". Darkspace and that particular Enslaved album rely heavily on atmosphere more than anything. I wouldn't play Darkspace charging into glory with my shield and spear.

I just listened to three black metal albums in a row, Wyrd - The Ghost Album, Moonblood - Blut & Krieg, and Wyrd - Kammen and thought they sucked! What's a good BM album so I can revitalize my BM tastes please, one that has better production than those three yuck.