Black Metal.

I think you've confused the terms "epic" and "atmospheric". Darkspace and that particular Enslaved album rely heavily on atmosphere more than anything. I wouldn't play Darkspace charging into glory with my shield and spear.

I can agree on Darkspace but Vikingligr Veldi is pretty epic as well as atmospheric.

I think you've confused the terms "epic" and "atmospheric". Darkspace and that particular Enslaved album rely heavily on atmosphere more than anything. I wouldn't play Darkspace charging into glory with my shield and spear.
Umm, maybe you should have read the previous post more carefully. Epic does not only refer to dumb battle fantasies. Darkspace is very much "incredibly vast, thunderous, larger than life, awe inspiring, and terrifyingly powerful" as mentioned in Wagontrain's post. VV as well.

Blue Jay, Wyrd is a pretty below average band for the most part. Try out Averse Sefira - Battle's Clarion
Inquisition - Nefarious Dismal Orations
Mgla (any)
Nachtmystium - Instinct: Decay

All have pretty fresh, clear production.

I have a question, has Bathory ever done a live show or tour? If not, why not? I keep hearing from some people they never did a live show or a tour in band history.

I haven't been listening to much black metal as of late. Mainly classic death metal and heavy/doom. When I do listen to BM I find myself sticking to stuff like Urfaust, Darkspace and Paysage d'Hiver in terms of modern stuff. Basically I want to hear some great contemporary bands that can compete with the classics. Anyone got any recs?

edit: Also, out of curiosity, WTF is Orthodox BM?

I've heard the term used for bands with theological themes, or bands that play a first-wave black metal style. Either way, it's not too useful of an indicator. It belongs with white, unblack, grey, and other genres we don't really need.

I've heard the term used for bands with theological themes, or bands that play a first-wave black metal style. Either way, it's not too useful of an indicator. It belongs with white, unblack, grey, and other genres we don't really need.

I figured as much. Any recs for decent newer bands?

I haven't been listening to much black metal as of late. Mainly classic death metal and heavy/doom. When I do listen to BM I find myself sticking to stuff like Urfaust, Darkspace and Paysage d'Hiver in terms of modern stuff. Basically I want to hear some great contemporary bands that can compete with the classics. Anyone got any recs?

edit: Also, out of curiosity, WTF is Orthodox BM?

Check out Anti.

Sweet, they've reissued Dark Funeral's back catalogue. Time to make my move. :kickass:

I think it's time I got up to date on '07's releases. Other than DSO and Dimmu Borgir, what are some good releases from this year?
The new Abigor album is quite good. I also enjoyed Watain's newest one. Also, check out the band Negative Plane. Their debut album has a very interesting sound, very fresh. Although I forget if it was released in 2007 or 2006.

I'm glad Deathspell Omega's new album is being distributed through Southern Lord; that means it'll be easy to find. My local Virgin Megastore is filled to the brim with records from Southern Lord and Moribund.

I've got the new Marduk, but I've got Watain on my list and Naglfar is really only a latent need at the moment.