Black Metal.

I think that's part of it. Black metal is kind of my "break" metal from Brutal death, so if something is too powerful or too aggressive, it doesn't work for me, despite being a good album objectively. I think that is why I lean towards more suicidal, slow and atmospheric BM bands.

Maybe you should try to move away from that mindset, and I'm sure by this time next year that you will have.

Hm...too much of an "epic" factor? All of their albums are oppressive in scope. It takes a lot to penetrate their enormous cacophony of sound.

People are having problems getting into Emperor because they're starting with Anthems. I heard In the Nightside Eclipse being referred to as epic black metal for dummies. It really is quite accessible, I'd say.

Maybe you should try to move away from that mindset, and I'm sure by this time next year that you will have.
I think this is true, which is why I try to keep my objective evaluations of bands in mind. When listening to Emperor I thought "This is good, I just don't want to listen to it". I know when I start wanting something different, it'll be there for me.

Also, that Limbonic Art song is not that bad, its not brilliant but it could be a lot worse with those keyboards.

I listened to the song a couple more times, and made note of two things.

First off, I liked the song more the second and third time around, it having had time to ferment in my mind. It took a few listens to acclimate myself to most other LA songs, so I'm confident to get the same results from this album.

Secondly, I began to pick out more keyboard parts in the song that were not noticeable upon first listen. These tracks were hidden by the promo/myspace rendering, so I'm sure the clearer production played from the CD will reveal more keyboard flares woven into the fabric. It's the complex keyboard arrangements that made LA's earlier works successful (In Abhorrence Dementia especially).

This song is likely the tip of the iceberg. I have seen many cases that the song released by a band ahead of the album's release will sound similar to the prior album (Dark Tranquillity's "Focus Shift" for example), so as to delay the surprises latent until the album's release. I'm hoping this is the case.

It takes a lot to penetrate their enormous cacophony of sound.

as much as I enjoy Emperor, this quote is extremely true about the band. their songs are so heavily layered. it's just like twenty guitar tracks over 21 keyboard tracks over 5 drums tracks over 2 vocal tracks.

I'm currently listening to the Malfeitor promo album (the guy from Aborym) and it's pretty good symphonic extreme metal.... except the vocal sucks.

I have heard Drowning Down The Moon, some parts of it sounded good and caught my attention, but overall I didn't take to it. It wasn't the producion that did it, cause I tend to like raw / bad production (when done right). Maybe I'll listen to it again sometime further in the future.

I have heard Drowning Down The Moon, some parts of it sounded good and caught my attention, but overall I didn't take to it. It wasn't the producion that did it, cause I tend to like raw / bad production (when done right). Maybe I'll listen to it again sometime further in the future.

The best part of this album, in my opinion, was the vocals. They were very unorthodox and are placed perfectly in the mix to enhance the album. The vocal performance gave the album an esoteric, supernatural feel. I think I also gave them more attention because the riffs were hard to hear a lot of the times (especially during the faster passages).

DDTM is a great album. Chock full of memorable moments (beginning of Salomon's Gate, all of Down There..., etc.), unintentional humor (the robotic vocals in The Gate of Nanna, all of Nuclear Girl, etc.) and ridiculous atmosphere (Summerlands!).

I'm currently listening to the Malfeitor promo album (the guy from Aborym) and it's pretty good symphonic extreme metal.... except the vocal sucks.

I've been anticipating this release (Aborym is one of my favorite bands), and I can't wait to hear the album. Looking at their myspace bulletins it looks like it will be released September 24th.

What was bad about the vocals?

Drawing Down the Moon has good production. I agree that the vocals are the best part though. Nuclear Holocausto Vengeance deserves mention on any best vocalist list for this performance.

What was bad about the vocals?

well they should recruit a real singer instead of a guitarist doing vocals.

listen to the myspace sample to give you an idea, but I think his voice is terribly cheesy.

with an excellent vocalist like Aborym - Generator, the album would have been perfect.

well they should recruit a real singer instead of a guitarist doing vocals.

listen to the myspace sample to give you an idea, but I think his voice is terribly cheesy.

with an excellent vocalist like Aborym - Generator, the album would have been perfect.

Listening again, I see what you mean. The vocals aren't too bad, or cheesy. But you're right, Prime Evil would be a better voice for the job.

However, the music is so good it makes up for the unoriginal vocals. Hopefully Malfeitor (the person) can focus on Aborym again now that his side project has an album out and he's played a few shows.

I think that's part of it. Black metal is kind of my "break" metal from Brutal death, so if something is too powerful or too aggressive, it doesn't work for me, despite being a good album objectively. I think that is why I lean towards more suicidal, slow and atmospheric BM bands.

I have a very similar mentality when it comes to BM. I listen to it for something different from the rest of metal, something I can relax to almost. Obviously there are exceptions, but I find a lot of BM bands that have acheived 'legendary' status just don't do it for me.

I can't think of any BM bands that have come out of nowhere to be popular this year. DsO and Drudkh have been well known since 2004. Other "new" bands that have been received well are just side projects or new bands by well-known BM people.