Black Metal.

Shitty production does define a lot of black metals "core" or should we say "founding area". And is it not true that we commonly as black metal fans reject many of the bands that have cleaner productions? Not saying I agree with this, but it tends to be a trend.

I like shit production. It gives the music (in some cases) a rather dark and distinct atmosphere. At the same time, some of my favorite albums are well produced (for BM). So honestly, it really depends. But as a general rule, low-financed production does BM justice.

Depends on the types of synths for me, INTE has great synths. but orchestras vary for me, some can be good, some just ok, you find both in Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth, Satyricon had good synths on their first 3 albums, Emperor used more of a modern type synth on Anthems but I didnt like it as good as INTE's.

Ah, the good old "I'll pass off my stupid comment as a joke" routine. Think for a second next time.

Naw, I may not have been joking like that in that comment. I was just warning you for the next time when I am possibly making a joke :loco:

Also, I might not be thinking of Swing-Jazz when I said Swing. I'm thinking of 50's "snap-your-fingers" shit actually. I'm surprised people here bash some of the music that they do & still have respect for Jazz though. I've heard plenty of "MetalHeads" like to down play or shit talk Jazz. I personally like a very good portion of it & I respect it, but it's like everything else - there's a time & place for it.

I tend to prefer more obscure black metal (with cheesy lyrics if need be) as opposed to "fun" stuff like this.
I meant fun more in the Immortal sense, but I guess I see what you mean.

It figures that they are black 'n roll I guess, though...so at least they didn't try to play uberkvlt raw production BM with sing-song pedestrian "terrorist" lyrics.
Is "black n' roll" just anything bouncy? Because I certainly found the riffing more along the lines of Rammstein industrial rock (even similar to industrial metal) than the more gritty/punky riffing I would associate with that term.

The lyrics to that album are rather enigmatic and metaphorical, using Satan as an allegory and all that, so I appreciate it more when taken in stride with the obscure sounding music (though I don't particularly enjoy the album anyway :p). Like I said earlier, I guess it is better that they are using the rather ridiculous "9/11 was cool people should do it again and we hate humans by the way" with "black 'n roll" as opposed to "tr00 BM."
I think you are oversimplifying the concept, it seems more to do with the end of the Western/Christian empire although there are misanthropic threads here and there. The third track seems a reference to Aum Shinrikyo which combined with the 9/11 imagery and the "cleansing" theme throughout there seems to be some sort of statement on the revolutionary power of mass violence. Plus the last track is likely a reference to When the Sleeper Wakes (H.G. Wells) which is also full of revolution against a global empire. Of course when you have different lyricists it makes for more questions and a more varied message (Nattdal's track seems to be the odd one out) but I wouldn't say we have that obvious a piece here. The second language factor doesn't help, as I'm not sure whether to interpret Zimmering fire and brimstone ("Rewards of Ignorant Wrath") as a misspelling or a comment on the relationship between the American Christian Right and Zionism.

Yeah, so that's where my "conceptually interesting" comment comes from.

I failed to see the connection, but I'm glad you can find positive (if out-of-character) highlights among a lackluster album. Can't fault you for that.
It really didn't seem out of character, it used the same riffing style and drum beats as the rest of the album while the voice samples present throughout the album gradually shift to the forefront. Plus the H.G. Wells influence mentioned above makes a "future dystopia" aesthetic more appropriate. :|

I found this magazine cover rather amusing.

l_715dc988627d97f659d13594527bb9a9.jpg

I found this magazine cover rather amusing.

l_715dc988627d97f659d13594527bb9a9.jpg

LOL I read that today. My friend is a subscriber to Revolver (so she gets it like a month in advance) and I chuckled as I read the interview.

Funny it says "Black Metal X-Mas," Dani, Shagrath, and Nergal's bands aren't Black Metal (Early DB and TPoEMF-era CoF is debatable to some though and Behemoth was BM once)

If you see this in your grocery store or whatever, give it a read, might make you laugh, or make you angry that I said to read that piece of shit.

I took my maiden voyage on the S.S. Gorgoroth tonight with Under the Sign of Hell and all my expectations about this band were met. The riffs were vicious yet passionate, and the Norse roots shine through just enough to give it a perceivable sense of spirit. The production was a bit unsettling at first, particularly with the snare drum, but I got used to it and found that it suited the music well. The vocals were on par, and a few clean vocal sections were a welcome surprise.

Thoughts on this album?