Black Metal.

I did not like it. I feel that whole band lacks a lot of creativity. I feel it ok for raw black metal but no much for anything else.

I took my maiden voyage on the S.S. Gorgoroth tonight with Under the Sign of Hell and all my expectations about this band were met. The riffs were vicious yet passionate, and the Norse roots shine through just enough to give it a perceivable sense of spirit. The production was a bit unsettling at first, particularly with the snare drum, but I got used to it and found that it suited the music well. The vocals were on par, and a few clean vocal sections were a welcome surprise.

Thoughts on this album?

Shit. First two are the only real good ones.

I liked AMSG a little though

I took my maiden voyage on the S.S. Gorgoroth tonight with Under the Sign of Hell and all my expectations about this band were met. The riffs were vicious yet passionate, and the Norse roots shine through just enough to give it a perceivable sense of spirit. The production was a bit unsettling at first, particularly with the snare drum, but I got used to it and found that it suited the music well. The vocals were on par, and a few clean vocal sections were a welcome surprise.

Thoughts on this album?

I agree with you on your points (and appreciate your enthralling metaphor) and can say that it is probably my favorite album by them. The snare drum problem disappears pretty early in the album, anyway, and personally, I like unusual drum production.

It's funny how none of the bands on the cover of that Revolver are really Black Metal. I haven't heard too much old Dimmu though & Behemoth used to be Black Metal. I've always been skeptical about checking out anymore old Dimmu. I have Stormblast & it's nothing to bust a nut over.

It's funny how none of the bands on the cover of that Revolver are really Black Metal. I haven't heard too much old Dimmu though & Behemoth used to be Black Metal. I've always been skeptical about checking out anymore old Dimmu. I have Stormblast & it's nothing to bust a nut over.

Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and Spiritual Black Dimensions are their peak. Beyond those is when many cease to call them Black Metal.

Check out some of these bands too. This is my recent purchase list. There is a lot of less accessible music out there but it is well worth the work to track it down. I think there is a lot more imaginative stuff out there than 1349 even though that stuff is pretty good too.

Arkenstone – Arkenstone
Arkona / Moontower - W Szponach Wojennej Bestii
Azamoth – Eternity
Beatrik - The Requiem of December
Beyond The Ninth Wave - Beyond The Ninth Wave
Blizzard – Les Litanies de Satan
Cryfemal - With The Help of The Devil
Daemonlord/Satanizer - 9 Bullets In The Face Of Christ
Diecold - Rest In Hell
Forest of Doom - Ancient Woods of Darkness
Hills of Sefiroth - Fly High the Hated Black Flag
Kosa – Evilabsorption
Moontower / Taran - Devil's Incarnation
Myrk - Icons of The Dark
Nortt – Graven
Pest - Hail the Black Metal Wolves of Belial
Absonus Noctis - Penumbral Inorgantia
Alatyr – Alatyr
Ashdautas - Shadow Plays of Grief and Pain
Autumnia - In Loneliness Of Two Souls
Blackthru - Is Tamsos
Brume d' Automne - Fiers et Victorieux
Chaos Moon - Origin of Apparition
Depths of Depravity - Insensible Extinct Mechanical World
Funeral Fog - Under The Black Veil
Imperium Dekadenz - Und die Welt ward kalt und leer
Svartthron - Obscure Telepathy
Ur Falc'h / Heretic Blood - Sur le Chemin de la Noirceur
Utarm - Mutilation Epoch
Zargof - Departure For The Cosmic Twilight

Possibly, that and the fact that starting with PEM the production removed most of the atmosphere integral to the Black Metal aesthetic.

Then again I'm playing devil's advocate here, since I include all of Dimmu's material within my broad definition of Black Metal (everything from Welcome to Hell to Prometheus: The Discipline of Fire & Demise, basically).

Then what kind of metal would Dimmu be? To me they're black metal that doesn't sound like traditional black metal, kinda like how Enslaved and Emperor evolved as well.

In Sorte Diaboli is a pleasant surprise, I wasnt sure if the rest of the album would live up to the 3 really good songs I had heard from it, 8/10, I'm really enjoying it, now I'm wondering if PEM, which I'll get in a couple weeks, is going to live up to this record.

*attempts to derail the lame Dimmu discussion*

So uh...how about that Burzum? Best ALBUM (as a whole and judged holistically) is HLTO, best group of songs on a CD = Burzum/Aske. Disagreements??

In Sorte Diaboli is a pleasant surprise, I wasnt sure if the rest of the album would live up to the 3 really good songs I had heard from it, 8/10, I'm really enjoying it, now I'm wondering if PEM, which I'll get in a couple weeks, is going to live up to this record.

I guarantee you it will, if not surpass it with ease.

PEM is better. The only track I don't like on it is Puritania... otherwise great shit.

*attempts to derail the lame Dimmu discussion*

So uh...how about that Burzum? Best ALBUM (as a whole and judged holistically) is HLTO, best group of songs on a CD = Burzum/Aske. Disagreements??

The lame Dimmu discussion shall continue!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!
But as far as Burzum is concerned HLTO is the best album. I'd have to say it is the best group of songs also. But these days my favorite Burzum is Filosofem... I love the ambience and atmosphere of that album.