Black Metal.

Do you have a favorite Burzum album and would you give your opinion on each of your releases?

My favourite Burzum album is probably "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss". Yes, I can give You my opinion on each of the releases I have contributed to...

The debut album: the production is a bit thin on this album, and the vocals and high-hat becomes rather annoying at the end of the listening experience. In retrospective there is much I would have done differently when I recorded this album, but all in all I like it. It was very original when it came, in all ways (good and bad).

The "Det Som En Gang Var" ("What Once Was") album: as far as I remember the vocals are much better on this album and the sound a bit better, but apart from that it is much like the debut album. The tracks on this album were created at the same time as the tracks on the debut album, so in a sense it is "Part II" of the debut album - something that can be seen on the cover artwork as well.

The "Aske" ("Ash" or "Cinder") mini-LP: I wish I had never recorded this mini-LP in the first place, because it is only an mini-LP, and I don't like neither EPs, mini-LPs, "best of" albums, compilations or singles. If it's not a full-length album it's not worth releasing...

The "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" ("If The Light Take Us") album: this is, as I see it, the best Burzum album. It's very "anti-rock star" and - I think - original, consistent and close to what I wanted to achieve when I made and recorded it. This album is the first album I played music, instead of just playing different instruments... I did that on the earlier albums too, but not as successfully as on this album.

The "Filosofem" ("Philosofem") album: this album contains the first real Burzum track, titled "Dunkelheit" on the album (but the real title of the track is "Burzum". "Dunkelheit" is just the German translation of "Burzum"), that I originally wanted to include on the "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" album (but the recording was very poor, so I didn't use it). I changed the name to Burzum from Uruk-Hai when I made this song (I think in August 1991). The album is a bit weird, and far from perfect, but it is okay. Unfortunately (?), this is the album that sounds the most like the new Burzum music.

The "Dauði Baldrs" ("The Death Of Baldr") album: the metal versions of a few of the tracks on this album are really cool, so I think I will include at least one of them on the coming album. (The track called "Jesu Død", on the "Filosofem" album, is also a metal version of one of these tracks, by the way.) I am not overly fond of this album, but it is okay. I like at least two of the tracks a lot (the two first, as far as I remember). I once heard a cover version of one of the "Dauði Baldrs" tracks, on some German compilation album, I think, and that was very good... much better than the original. :) In short, let's just say I prefer the metal version of the tracks on this album oh, and it was recorded in a prison cell, using a normal tape recorder, so the sound is naturally not the best.

The "Hliðskjálf" ("Hidden Opening Into Asgarðr" or "Secret Ritual-Site") album: there are at least three tracks on this album that I like a lot, but in general this album is much like "Dauði Baldrs": it was the best I could do in a few months; the time I had to complete each of these albums, before the prison authorities either sent me to another prison (in 1995 ["Dauði Baldrs"]) or prevented me from recording anything more (in 1998 ["Hliðskjálf"]).

I very much feel that Hliðskjálf is under-rated, the album is worth it alone just for "Der Tod Wuotans" - after reading the storyline for this composition, you realise just how creative and imaginative Vikernes really is.

The musical representation of the storyline is incredibly accurate (anyone who has knowledge of war-music from the Renaissance and early Baroque periods would probably understand why I say this). Hearing this song alone raised my opinion of Vikernes as a composer overall. I no longer view him as being confined to a Black Metal artist, rather, simply, someone creative and imaginative.

I only like Filosofem.

@Hubster

Yea Varg can write a good song but he is no where near being a truly amazing or extremely talented composer. being a good composer means being able to make a song succeed in multiple different ways and Varg lacked a lot of things. He has never done anything that would push him into something else better than Black Metal.

I try.

Lets face it. Radiohead can write a more complex song that still songs good and is at a much higher caliber of intelligence than the music of Burzum, which is good music. I just hate the mindless praise Varg gets.

Radiohead can write a more complex song that still songs good and is at a much higher caliber of intelligence than the music of Burzum, which is good music. I just hate the mindless praise Varg gets.

Complexity is no character of good composition. Take early composers of the 12th and early 13th centuries, before the Renaissance. Polyphony didn't even exist back then, yet their compositions have stood the test of time based on a lack of complexity.

I feel that Varg's ability to establish himself as a composer outside of metal was cut short by the circumstances in his life, alas, we will never know.

I try.

Lets face it. Radiohead can write a more complex song that still songs good and is at a much higher caliber of intelligence than the music of Burzum, which is good music. I just hate the mindless praise Varg gets.

Quite frankly, I think Radiohead gets more mindless, undeserving praise than Burzum, speaking from an underground perspective.

(-o-o-) tie bomber

|-o-| tie fighter

(-o-) darth vader's tie fighter

aaaaaaand...that's all i got.

edit: no, wait, one more!

<-o-> tie interceptor (not actually shown in the movies but it's real i swearz)

I've only heard the radio BS that RadioHead did, but nothing leads me to think they couldn't compose a great song (non-metal of course).

That being said Varg is still excellent at what he does.

I've only heard the radio BS that RadioHead did, but nothing leads me to think they couldn't compose a great song (non-metal of course).

That being said Varg is still excellent at what he does.

OK Computer is a MUST listen, it is absolutely fantastic in every way.

(anyone who has knowledge of war-music from the Renaissance and early Baroque periods would probably understand why I say this)

Where can i find that kind of music?

I like the first three Burzum albums (where i count Burzum/Aske together as it was re-released as the first) equally.
Filosofem has a cool sound but does not reach the other albums for me.

Abigor isn't an ok band, it's one of the best and most original bm acts of the 90s.

Same for Summoning.