Black Metal.

I dunno, I was thinking 3rd wave was stuff like teh French Scene, and there specific sound. Bands like Deathspell, Blut Aus Nord, and similiar sounding bands, incorproating similiar themes etc.

But V5 made a good point. 95'+? I mean otherwise that would mean that the first wave was fairly short, second one very long, and the third one just starting...
Fuck Im probably totally wrong

I thought that 3rd wave started like 95/96 or something, it's just that loads of good bands are currently coming outa France. But I know nothing rry so.

But V5 made a good point. 95'+? I mean otherwise that would mean that the first wave was fairly short, second one very long, and the third one just starting...
Fuck Im probably totally wrong

It is generally seen as the first wave ending when 2nd wavers like Mayhem/Burzum/Darkthrone/etc. were coming out. So around the early 90s (89-92) and lasted a few years til 95 or so...

In a sense, that's what it is/should be stylistically, but the 3rd wave can also be thought of in terms of time periods and not actual sound. For instance, Tenebrae In Perpetuum is Italian Darkthrone worship. Darkthrone is 2nd wave. TIP are 3rd wave in terms of when they came into being (2002), but more "2nd wave" in sound.

The problem with thinking of this in terms of sound is that it isn't transitive; 3rd wave BM bands can sound like 2nd wave bands, but 1st wave bands could never "sound" like 3rd wave bands to the extent that they are similar to DSO, Glorior Belli or Ondskapt for obvious reasons. I find the "categorize into 'waves' by 'formed on/album released' dates" to generally be preferable over the "all x wave bands have the same general sound/style."

And regardless, that's untrue anyway; the 2nd wave bands are hugely dissimilar (despite all being labeled BM).

I identify third wave black metal with anything after 2000, mainly USBM, the French scene (BAN, DsO) and the Slavic stuff (Drudkh, Negura Bunget, Kataxu).

In the broadest terms, however, the 3rd wave of black metal is the product of the genre coming alive across the globe, and no longer centered on Scandinavia as the 2nd wave was.

There cannot be a 4th wave. The 3rd wave made black metal a global genre. Until we have black metal on Mars, there will be no 4th wave distinguishable from the continuous 3rd.

There cannot be a 4th wave. The 3rd wave made black metal a global genre. Until we have black metal on Mars, there will be no 4th wave distinguishable from the continuous 3rd.

I would not say that. A forth wave would just mean a new development in black metal. Look at the French scene and compare it to the Norway scene in the early 90's. Big difference. So it is fair to say there IS a change in the black metal sound right now.

It's more of a question of how far you can evolve before breaking the confines of the original roots of the genre.

I guess thats right considering that you have the basic ideas of the genre intact but you dont want to be bound by musical chains.

You can argue that even some (so-called) third wave black metal bands aren't black metal based on the orignal roots. The Work Which Transforms God comes to mind.