Black Metal.

Just found Exiled From Light (New Zealand) on myspace. Seems to be pretty good depressive black metal. Worth a listen or two.

Sear Bliss' The Arcane Odyssey has one of the most awesomely-employed brass sections I've ever heard in a black metal album, probably because it's actual instruments rather than keyboards.

Also, am I the only one who thinks Blut Aus Nord's Ultima Thulee bears a striking resemblance to early Immortal (specifically Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism)? Might just be the production.

By the way, what does everything think of I Shalt Become's new album? I didn't even know they had an album coming out, and being a fan of Wanderings, I'm interested to hear people's opinions.

It is pretty good imo. Sends me into a trance, just like any other good black metal. :headbang:

It is pretty good imo. Sends me into a trance, just like any other good black metal. :headbang:

I sounds like it has way more substance than Wanderings as well. Whereas the older one conjures image of warm rain (work with me here), this one evokes iciness and a purer sense of evil.

Why do I feel like only Zephyrus would appreciate this critique? :lol:

It definitely has a wall of atmosphere. Pretty good to relax to or even use it when i'm working outside doing stuff. I just kind of zone out and go into zombie mode. I received the Arckanum three pack a few weeks back. Fran Marder, Kampen, Kostogher...fucking amazing!

Does anybody know anything about Nuit Noire? I found an album of theirs recently and nearly bought it based on the description, but I've had bad experiences with impulse buys within black metal.

They have a myspace, i do not like them they are too..punky? i guess, which is kind of funny to think about heh...but eh i don't know, just not my style i guess. Check them out on their myspace though.

Darkthrone released a Best of/Compilation album called Frostland Tapes

To coincide with the band's 21st anniversary, this is a fascinating trip into
the earliest years of the band and the first official release ever to contain
all 4 of Darkthrone’s demos in one place.

Frostland Tapes also includes a rare live recording from Denmark in 1990 (one
of only a handful of live appearances that Darkthrone has ever made) and,
perhaps most significantly, the previously unreleased version of the infamous
1991 Goatlord rehearsal session.

These songs were intended to feature on the proposed second album, before the
band changed direction and the tapes were confined to the vaults. Vocals were
subsequently added in the mid-nineties, but they are presented here as the
recording sounded in 1991.

The set comes in a rigid digibook featuring an interview with the band,
chronicling their early days, ambitions and inspirations.

I like Sear Bliss's music I've heard on XM Radio from them on The Arcane Oddysey, mainly Blood on The Milky Way and Omen of Doom, the riffs and the non metal musical elements are all good and I may end up picking this CD up.

sure..... and Georges W. Bush is a intelligent person.

Nobody thinks that he is.

However, that list is extremely subjective and biased towards certain bands not strictly out of influence of originality, but personal taste, as is quite obvious if you read the descriptions. Also, it has a Dimmu Borgir album in the top 10 ahead of albums that are much better musically, more original and more important to black metal.

By the way, what's your username on the FMP forum? I know you go there.