Black Metal.

Agreed.

It is funny how when they are showing images of his flat and revealing all of his "evil" paraphernalia, they are just pulling a bunch of old Castle RavenLoft D&D books off of the shelf. There was even a RavenLoft poster on the wall. :lol:
Varg sure loved his D&D. He talks about briefly on Burzum.org and even signed that reaction article you posted as Varg "The Bugbear" Vikernes.

:lol: @ the scenes of his flat

... It would be interesting to see his trial I must say. It's insane when you see that scene of him in the courtroom and the photographers are going nuts over him.

Shit ya! He even LARPed in the woods with his friends!!!!!

He says so on Burzum.org.

Perhaps I shall find it for you.

Edit: Here we go. There is no direct metion of D&D the game itself, he just says RPG but that coupled with D&D being the most widespread and the fact he had the D7D books in his flat we can assume he is talking about D&D.

Oh, and it turns out the guys from Immortal(Old Funeral at the time) often joined Varg in these activities!

D&D ftw.

hat inspired me to make the music itself is kind of weird too. When I was a teenager my RPG friends and I sometimes took some wooden clubs, spears and swords and went into the countryside to fight each other. We had no other purpose than to fight because it was fun, and we didn't try to hurt each other. We never tried to hit the head of our opponents or other "vulnerable" areas (where men's brain is located...), and we didn't use much force. We still sometimes hurt each other by accident, and the fighting never stopped until at least one of us was bleeding, most often from the fingers or knuckles, and one of us had had enough pain for the day.

We fought each other in mainly three different places. One was in the forest, near an old and isolated burial ground for either victims of leprosy, the Spanish influenza or the Black Death, I don't remember exactly. The forest was thick and the terrain rough, and we often fell, or rather rolled, down the sides of small hills, through the underbrush, falling on rotting tree trunks - while trying to avoid the strikes from our foes.

The other place was a forested hill with an ancient horg (a Pagan stone monument) five minutes north-east of where I grew up. It was a deciduous forest, so it was very different from the other (pine) forest we used to fight in, and it was a very atmospheric place. Of course bringing weapons to and fighting in a holy place is in theory not all okay, according to the ancient traditions, but the weapons were made of wood and weren't made to hurt others, so it wasn't that serious after all (they were more like the staffs of wizards than anything else).

The third "battleground" was the ruins of an old monastery three or four minutes south-west of where the guys in Immortal grew up. The monastery was burned down by Vikings in the VIIIth century, as far as I remember. It was the first monastery built in Norway, by the way - and not surprisingly its existence as a monastery was short. The (probably British) monks were cut down or thrown into a nearby bog to drown.

It was always very nice to return home for a warm shower after these fights; sweat, soaked, bruised, often bleeding and with pine needles or leaves in all the clothes (and hair for that sake). It felt like I came home from a real battlefield. Exhausted - and feeling alive.

Now, the locals naturally reacted a bit to our presence. One time I jumped our from the underbrush - after laying in wait to ambush the other guys - and surprised a family who was just taking a walk. I had long hair with bits of moss and pine needles in it, more dark grey or black clothes with grim Death Metal imagery and had a club in my hand, so they weren't too pleased to see me. Because of the risk of encountering "normal" people out enjoying the freedom of Mother Nature, we ended up fighting when the risk of running into "normal" people was minimal. In other words, we waited for the late evenings. We sometimes brought torches or built a bonfire, to be able to see in the darkness, and of course Scandinavian summer-nights are not dark anyhow, and we kept fighting.

I had initially began this game of fighting with some of the RPG-friends, but when I met the guys in Old Funeral (and Amputation) (later Immortal) we too began to do this. This was a social event to us, and during the breaks we talked music, the others planned live shows and we generally inspired each other - before we got home in the middle of the night and made music!

(I can add, that when I was arrested for slaying Euronymous these fights were described as "nocturnal Satanic rituals" by the media, to provide You with an example of just how ridicules and false the media accusations and rumours of "Satanism" are.)

The mood of the forest, the mood of the night, the mood of the ancient holy site, the pain from bruises and minor injures, the taste of pine needles, soil and blood, and the smell of burning wood. That was our (or at least my) inspiration. On my way home, after age 17, when I exchanged my noisy moped with a car, I played music loud on the car-stereo and often took long drives through deep valleys and forests in the night, and through the town or rural areas, before I finally went home. The monotonous sound of the car engine and the music playing loud on the car-stereo was mesmerizing, and of course I was influences by endorphins too, as my body was fighting the pain of the bruises and other injuries. This was some positive "darkness" in our world of "light" - and it inspired and made me feel alive.

I listened to the new Watain today for the first time. From what I heard people saying about it, I was expecting it to sound like Dissection Reignchaos or something. It doesn't at all. It's still black metal and even still pretty raw.