Black Metal.

Is it at that Matchitehew Assembly in Chicago in a couple of months? I was thinking of going for Bone Awl and a couple of others, but Jewdom seems like it's going to prevail as MDF is like 2 weeks before it, and I have some other shows I want to see/albums to buy.

Hm, I had not heard about this. Better add it to the list, along with Krallice, which I've been binging on lately. Velnias is a pretty worthy band playing the same day as Marblebog. I can't really say I'm excited about the location of the event, as even the terrible Metal Shaker venue would be better (read: more convenient, safer).

since people have been talking about ildjarn, i decided to give "forest poetry" another shot. it's not nearly as bad sounding as people say. imo, it sounds maybe like a garage punk band playing hypnotic minimal black metal. i'm pretty much enjoying it. the whole thing could be one long song

Chicago black metal scene attempts to "cut the fat" through the use of inner-city gang warfare tactics:

“Last Friday (April 17th, 2009) at about 5:30 - 6:00 PM, Jeff Wilson left his apartment building here in Chicago (that Blake also has an apartment in) to head two blocks away to our neighborhood grocery store. On his way out, walking back down the small side street right near our building….an SUV comes flying around the corner of a small side street just south of where he was walking, two men hung out of the window and opened fire in Jeff’s general direction (and many other people, including children…) towards someone located behind where Jeff was walking.

“Fortunately, Jeff’s amazing ninja-style, bullet-dodging skills kicked in, instinctively, and he some how managed to escape what became a crossfire of bullets and made it home safely with his smokes and a 2 liter of Diet Coke. Although the Diet Coke was tempting to Jeff, as he was out of breath and parched with thirst after running his ass off from the onslaught of violence, Jeff opted for a can (or twelve) of High Life that he found in the fridge….and then enjoyed one of his cigarettes, which he fought for his life to have.

“This, dear fans, is just one more example - smoking kills!!”

Are there any bands that take after Immortal's Pure Holocaust style? I just put it on for a spin again after the longest time and realized just how unique it is, and that I don't think I've heard any bands really take a musical influence from it.

yeah it's one of the most unique metal albums out there. plenty of bands have taken pointers, at least from the band's general style, like averse sefira and antaeus and DSO etcetc, but nothing i've heard sounds anything like PH.

Is it at that Matchitehew Assembly in Chicago in a couple of months? I was thinking of going for Bone Awl and a couple of others, but Jewdom seems like it's going to prevail as MDF is like 2 weeks before it, and I have some other shows I want to see/albums to buy.

Yup.

Hm, I had not heard about this. Better add it to the list, along with Krallice, which I've been binging on lately. Velnias is a pretty worthy band playing the same day as Marblebog. I can't really say I'm excited about the location of the event, as even the terrible Metal Shaker venue would be better (read: more convenient, safer).

I know one guy in Velnias and he said something about a few more dark ambient bands are going to be playing. I'm excited.

Are there any bands that take after Immortal's Pure Holocaust style? I just put it on for a spin again after the longest time and realized just how unique it is, and that I don't think I've heard any bands really take a musical influence from it.
Read their tabs and use their scales and you can sound like Pure Holocaust. :p Probably just Immortal's albums near that time is where you'll find a similar evolving factor that sounds similar to that album.

They took inspiration from Mayhem. There are similarities with De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas and look at Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism, their previous effort, how different it sounds. But they certainly deserve credit for the awesome riffs, like those from Unsilent Storms in the North Abyss and A Sign for the Norse Hordes to Ride which inspired Vlad Tepes.

Edit: Thriandi from the new Arckanum sounds promising.

I only have "Para Bhakti..." and its a pretty interesting release. The sample for the album sounded promising as well, so I'm looking forward to it as well.

I heard a Raventale album when I was out tonight. This would certainly appeal very much to those of you who got into the Alatyr album last year. I couldn't decipher the Raventale album name, unfortunately. I'm working on an Alatyr review for M-A. It was a nice album.

I found that Alatyr to be incredibly boring, but I've never heard Raventale although people talk about them a lot.

Yeah its going to be in early june. I'm looking forward to seeing Bone Awl, Krieg and Velnias.