Black Metal.

Their first three albums are all great, with Thy Mighty Contract probably making my top five in all of black metal. Absolutely amazing album.

probably one of the best albums to come out of Greece, ever.

What I've heard is pretty good, all I have is A Dead Poem tho, which I think is more of a doomish record than black metal.

I must ask all three of you, which band do you think is better?

Varathron or Rotting Christ?

I'm not one of those three, but Rotting Christ. Thy Mighty Contract is fantastic, but their less black metal material is great too. Kronos is dark as fuck (plus the Current 93 cover is cool as hell), and Sleep of The Angels has 'After Dark I Feel', which is such a great tune.

microcosmos.jpg

For those who haven't moved on since Blood In Our Wells, it's about time you start to move on.

Microcosmos takes a combination of Drudkh's evolvement and combines it into what I consider an almost new, very mature sound. In some senses it is less aggressive than previous releases, but this is not a detraction of any kind. Read: it is still VERY Drudkh, umistakably so.

Imagine the beautiful chord progressions and subtle ambience of Autumn Aurora, the more complex moments from Blood In Our Wells, and finally some of the gorgeous tonal colour and textured bass playing from Estrangement now counterpointing and interweaving through the songs. Add to this some longer arpeggiated passages moving at a gradual, yet "right" pace, some stronger 'cultural' chord progressions, and take off some aggression, replace with a higher sense of spirituality - now you have Microcosmos.

I feel a sense of experimentation and transience within the band with this latest output, and also that of Estrangement, but it is not negative in my opinion. Microcosmos will certainly create some polarity in the Drudkh fanbase, have no doubt. This record is a positive progression, and it sees Drudkh becoming masters of the kind of craft.

Very nice, digest slowly, assess acutely.

microcosmos.jpg

For those who haven't moved on since Blood In Our Wells, it's about time you start to move on.

Microcosmos takes a combination of Drudkh's evolvement and combines it into what I consider an almost new, very mature sound. In some senses it is less aggressive than previous releases, but this is not a detraction of any kind. Read: it is still VERY Drudkh, umistakably so.

Imagine the beautiful chord progressions and subtle ambience of Autumn Aurora, the more complex moments from Blood In Our Wells, and finally some of the gorgeous tonal colour and textured bass playing from Estrangement now counterpointing and interweaving through the songs. Add to this some longer arpeggiated passages moving at a gradual, yet "right" pace, some stronger 'cultural' chord progressions, and take off some aggression, replace with a higher sense of spirituality - now you have Microcosmos.

I feel a sense of experimentation and transience within the band with this latest output, and also that of Estrangement, but it is not negative in my opinion. Microcosmos will certainly create some polarity in the Drudkh fanbase, have no doubt. This record is a positive progression, and it sees Drudkh becoming masters of the kind of craft.

Very nice, digest slowly, assess acutely.

Blood In Our Wells and this are very similar except for the fact that this album doesnt pound your face with melancholy. I think this is the type of record they are going to continue to make, now looking back at estrangement it's almost like that was just their B sides or some kind of demo album, it just doesnt feel right. Not to mention that this album does not feel rushed and they managed to fix their shitty drumming and production issues.

Love it, but In terms of the style I say Archgoat beats it out so far this year.

ehh i wouldn't say they are similar in style, seven chalices is more death metal than anything now. The archgoat album is decent, but not close to the level of seven chalices.

Havent heard Varathron so I couldnt make a good statement about which is better. I will check if they have any songs on youtube so I can at least hear what they are like.

edit- I have to say Varathron is sounding pretty awesome, I am really liking the song Unholy Funeral. And I can see a lot of the similarity between them and Rotting Christ. This song kinda reminds me of old Amorphis too, like Karelian Isthumus era.

really? oh man I love Greek black metal. Varathron, Necromantia, Nocternity, Veil, Zemial, Rotting Christ...some really good shit comes from there

so I'm listening to Damnation's 'Destructo Evangelia", and on the third track around the 3 minute mark, there's a line where I swear it sounds like the singer is saying, "The pancakes are open!" I guess he's saying "black gates", but it was still pretty funny

on a side note, I've seen/heard a bunch of people label Damnation as the next Bathory, which I think is a pretty presumptuous claim to make

so I'm listening to Damnation's 'Destructo Evangelia", and on the third track around the 3 minute mark, there's a line where I swear it sounds like the singer is saying, "The pancakes are open!" I guess he's saying "black gates", but it was still pretty funny

on a side note, I've seen/heard a bunch of people label Damnation as the next Bathory, which I think is a pretty presumptuous claim to make

How is that album? I received a free copy of it a while back and haven't yet been inspired to actually listen to it.

It's pretty good. the guitarist played for Dismember and the drummer played for Nifelheim and Unanimated.

I just don't know about them being the next Bathory. The band started off as a Bathory tribute band, so that may explain why some people make the claim.