Black Metal.

Havent heard Varathron so I couldnt make a good statement about which is better. I will check if they have any songs on youtube so I can at least hear what they are like.

edit- I have to say Varathron is sounding pretty awesome, I am really liking the song Unholy Funeral. And I can see a lot of the similarity between them and Rotting Christ. This song kinda reminds me of old Amorphis too, like Karelian Isthumus era.

Funny you should say that because I am always reminded of The Karelian Isthmus when I listen to Thy Mighty Contract. They're not that far removed from each other.

I never really got into Greek BM. I am generally pretty ambivalent to most of the stuff from there.

You're gay.

so I'm listening to Damnation's 'Destructo Evangelia", and on the third track around the 3 minute mark, there's a line where I swear it sounds like the singer is saying, "The pancakes are open!" I guess he's saying "black gates", but it was still pretty funny

on a side note, I've seen/heard a bunch of people label Damnation as the next Bathory, which I think is a pretty presumptuous claim to make

Damnation rules. Nothing at all original, but very nice Bathory worship for the most part.

While I agree that Hellenic BM is totally awsome it hardly touches the norwegian, french and polish scenes from the 90s.

norsecore faggot. jk

but um.. what early french scene are you talking about because most of it does not come close to touching hellenic bm.. also polish lol?

Yeah, I'd say it's second only to the Norwegian scene. Other than the LLN, Hirilorn and Blut aus Nord, I'm struggling to think of any worthwhile 90s French black metal.

Poland had some great stuff too; Graveland, Infernum, Christ Agony, Sacrilegium, Behemoth, Veles, Gontyna Kry, Holy Death, Xantotol, etc.

norsecore faggot. jk

but um.. what early french scene are you talking about because most of it does not come close to touching hellenic bm.. also polish lol?
For french, the LLN scene alone > all greek bm (and pretty much all other bm too, except for the norwegian scene but I'm in very minority on this board with this opinion. :>). For polish bm se MPs post above.

So, what's the general consensus on Altar of Plagues' debut full-length? I've seen it mentioned in different places, but I figured I'd ask in the black metal thread.

For french, the LLN scene alone > all greek bm (and pretty much all other bm too, except for the norwegian scene but I'm in very minority on this board with this opinion. :>). For polish bm se MPs post above.

I take back anything good I've said about you. Aside from Mutiilation, the entire LLN bullshit is the most overrated and ridiculous conspiracy black metal has ever seen. Outside of Nargaroth, of course.

Not all LLN is crap. The main bands (Mutiilation, Belketre, Vlad Tepes and Torgeist) have all released good stuff, though I agree it is overrated. The rest, however, is garbage.

And as far as the most overrated and ridiculous conspiracy ever seen in black metal, look no further than Velvet Cacoon. ;)

So, what's the general consensus on Altar of Plagues' debut full-length? I've seen it mentioned in different places, but I figured I'd ask in the black metal thread.

love it. Skiesatourfeet really digs it also. Probably the most original album of the year for me. You have to listen to it the whole way through to let it really sink in.

And as far as the most overrated and ridiculous conspiracy ever seen in black metal, look no further than Velvet Cacoon. ;)

But they do play some quality black metal.

@Einherjar: Listen to unknown. That Altar of Plagues will probably grace the top 10 for a few of us...it's really unique. And a nice change of pace after listening to Teitanblood, Archgoat, Katarsis, etc...

The new Austere is fucking amazing. It's production is clean, especially compared to their previous material, and it does justice.

I take back anything good I've said about you. Aside from Mutiilation, the entire LLN bullshit is the most overrated and ridiculous conspiracy black metal has ever seen. Outside of Nargaroth, of course.
Haha, as I said I'm pretty alone in that opinion. But seriously do you really think the Vlad Tepes/Belketre split is ridiculous bullshit? (it is top 5 bm albums ever btw). And if you should go by most people opinion LLN is more underrated than overrated nowdays imo. :p

Edit: and I agree with MP that it is mostly the main bands that are worthwhile, there are lots of really shitty stuff from LLN.