Black Metal.

The Black Twilight bands sound NOTHING like Bone Awl whatsoever. There are none of the same members or anything. Anyways I agree with George; check out Volahn's LP

I've pretty much enjoyed everything from Bone Awl up until this Night's Middle 7", which does nothing for me. But releases like By Ropes Through Dirt and the Meaningless Leaning Mess LP (especially "Big Decisions") are great. At the same time, I really don't think of them as black metal. All the comparison to Ildjarn they seem to draw don't really stand, if you ask me. Yes, they're both very raw but the aesthetic is entirely different.

I've pretty much enjoyed everything from Bone Awl up until this Night's Middle 7", which does nothing for me. But releases like By Ropes Through Dirt and the Meaningless Leaning Mess LP (especially "Big Decisions") are great. At the same time, I really don't think of them as black metal. All the comparison to Ildjarn they seem to draw don't really stand, if you ask me. Yes, they're both very raw but the aesthetic is entirely different.

Well the only thing I've heard from Bone Awl is Night's Middle (and once at that), so maybe I would be open to checking out something else they've done. Would you mind giving a more detailed description of how they sound? And if anybody knows of any samples of Volahn or Ashdautas, I'd appreciate it.

I was able to catch the three of these bands live this summer. Bone Awl absolutely ruled live. They can't quite get the same rawness live, so what was left was the great catchy melodies. The Ildjarn comparisons are completely apt, I think. I enjoyed Night's Middle more than Meaningless Leaning Mess. Hope to acquire additional material in the future.

Ashdautas and Volhan were near indistinguishable live, and most people were not even sure which one was playing due to the overlapping membership and similar sound. I have an Ashdautas EP that seems to be a 25 minute live take. I guess it reminds me of SVEST a bit, but with a much less interesting sense of melody. It's not an easy listen, and not very coherent for being such a long song. Feedback isn't the best transitional device, nor are crash-outs.

I think I have to reconsider what I said before about my disappointment with the new Deströyer 666 album. Defiant is clicking with me now. I can pretty safely say that I still prefer Cold Steel... and Terror Abraxas over anything else they've put out, but whether looking at this as a 'comeback' album or just another after an extended gap, it's pretty much up to their standard. I guess I wanted a bit more from it, but given some time it certainly has its moments. It is by no means a bad album.