Black Metal.

no the mix bothered me a bit as well. I think this is the band's first album? I'm not sure

edit: Nevermind. According to Cody, this guy previously recorded under a different name, so this is technically the second album. Opinion remains. Cool ideas. Weird mix

Is it just me or is this mix really unsatisfying? It sounds like the folk instruments are laid on top of the rock instruments in a really artificial way, like two separate tracks that happen to be at the same tempo playing simultaneously.

I don't think the mix is bad, I think the writing is incongruous. The distorted guitars are driving really hard and quickly, but that higher pitched stuff is going at a more lilting, lazy pace. Like you said, it feels like two different songs at the same tempo layered.

I really enjoyed the latest Cold Body Radiation, anyone here into them? I personally wouldn't really label them as black metal, but they definitely have some BM parts/influences.

For those interested, Woods of Desolation's newest can be ordered on vinyl now from Northern Silence Productions.

EDIT:

no the mix bothered me a bit as well. I think this is the band's first album? I'm not sure

edit: Nevermind. According to Cody, this guy previously recorded under a different name, so this is technically the second album. Opinion remains. Cool ideas. Weird mix

Yeah, check out the first album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q13UWbcH9A

Fucking awesome.

I do enjoy Dornenreich from time to time, but had no idea they had a new album in the works. Hopefully it's going to be in a more black direction than ambient/neofolky. But that can be good too, so whatever.

I really enjoyed Flammentriebe. Im curious to see what they bring to the table with their newest because they arent going to be putting out another one for awhile after that.