Black Metal.

I'm listening to Mayhem-Esoteric Warfare again. I'm enjoying it much more on this spin. The first time I was a little underwhelmed. It seemed too stiff and lifeless. This time I knew what to expect so am giving it a more careful listen, and it is definitely stiff, and it's not working for the whole feeling. The whole album is amazing in it's dark and gritty dissonance, but it still feels a bit claustrophobic in delivery.

Regardless, it's still pretty fucking good.

I can see why one would think that. I think it tries to be disjointed, but everyone is so good at their respective instrument that it loses that loose edge it needs.

Skogen is awesome.

I finally gave Gris a listen. I like instrumental parts of it, but the dude's voice is just too over the top screechy for me. I want to like it, but it just grates on my nerves.

I like them quite a bit. Should do the trick if you like that atmospheric stuff.
I do. Thanks.

Skogen is awesome.

I finally gave Gris a listen. I like instrumental parts of it, but the dude's voice is just too over the top screechy for me. I want to like it, but it just grates on my nerves.

Gris is phenomenal. That's one of the rare times I truly enjoy those kind of vocals. I think it really works.

It's not as good as any of their albums. It's not even a "bad by their standards" kind of thing. It's like a 4/10. Even the decent moments on the album are a melange of things they did better previously. There's a total lack of vocal or guitar hooks, overreliance on instrumental passages, and a production style that lacks character and places "heaviness" at the front of the mix, which doesn't suit the band.

Seeing them play live on this tour did nothing to help. Getting the blah instrumental finale instead of In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion was a big letdown.

It's not horrendous in that it's not unlistenable. But there's nothing of significance in any of the songs to encourage repeat listens, which is sort of amazing for a band with such a good track record up to that point.