Black Metal.

Is there any "epic" Black Metal that isn't Summoning worship?
Trying to broaden some horizons.

I'm sure you've probably heard them, but just in case- Moonsorrow's Verisakeet and Havitetty albums are pretty epic. A touch of folkiness there, but not over the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
Post-SMRC DSO is some of the most profound extreme metal of the 21st century, with a brilliant merger of aesthetics, technicality, composition, and philosophical vision. Records like Fas and Paracletus are total works of art. If you don't get them, it's your loss.

or its complete and total overly pretentious bullshit *shrug*

luls.

I don't know why people bother talking about DSO. It always boils down to these two bullshit stances.

You're both talking shit.

Anyone want to recommend me more stuff like Arizmenda, Odz Mantouk, and Dolorvotre? And don't bother saying the other Crepusculo Negro bands because these are the only worth hearing besides Volahn imo.

I'm wearing a Tukaaria shirt. Raw to the Rapine is great. Glossolalia is pretty good too. IMO your O is wrong.

The obvious non-CN suggestion would be the LLN bands. A lot of them are shit but I like some Belkètre, Brenoritvrezorkre, Vlad Tepes and Mütiilation songs.

I love this kinda sound (both melodically and sonically)

Makes me feel nostalgic or something. Sounds like heavy drinking, depression, 80s kid's TV shows and shii.

Also, these guys probably don't sound that similar to the BTC bands to anyone but me, but I get the same kinda feels from them, especially on this album.

And I haven't pimped them for ages and I still never see them mentioned.

If you've not checked them or dismissed them all on the basis that some of them suck you should check out the Rhinocervs releases too. Some of them are pretty good. I think 11, 12 and 13 have cool songs. Maybe 7 (or 8?) too.

You might like some of the bands 'Sir N' did/is doing too. Mostly they're more in the vein of Sacramentum and Dissection but some of them are a bit less 'melodic black metal', in places anyway.

See also: Acerbitas, Grav, Hädanfärd, Helgedom, Svartrit, Vanskapt, ex-Kaos Sacramentum, ex-Ektoplasma, ex-Dödfödd, ex-Reverorum ib Malacht

His weirdy take on BM is a bit more like Negative Plane the BTC stuff I guess.

I guess I'm in the minority who favors Kénose above everything else in the DSO discography.

Kénose is cool. I think I enjoy those EPs/splits/whatever they are (Kénose, Mass Grave Aesthetics, Manifestations, Chaining the Katechon) the most these days. Inquisitors of Satan and Si Monumentum... are cool, although the latter drags on. Fas and Paracletus, and the newest EP, have some cool riffs but I've never felt so compelled to listen to them.

Roads to Judah has some alright riffs. I've not heard Sunbather properly but my mate put it on when we were chilling and all I remember of it was that it was boring as shit. The guitarist's shoegaze band is better. They have an EP or demo or something that's pretty good.

You should say 'cool' more.

I just saw an interview with Apollyon from a gig I was at the other week and he said that Aura Noir are working on a new album. This is good news.

Not an especially interesting interview, but if anyone is interested:

I like Sunbather a lot.

EDIT: Also, while I hesitate to tell people who know a lot more (about) BM than I . . . I haven't heard much BM/shoegaze that sounds a lot like Sunbather. Sure, BM and shoegaze have been combined before, but from my limited experience Sunbather's sound is still fairly new/unique.

I'm eager to be proven wrong though. Links?

"not Summoning worship" is as specific as I need to be because the vagueness of the request was the whole point.

Edit: new Aura Noir? Holy shit nice!

Honestly, the first thing that comes to mind for epic non-Summoning BM is a really obvious one, but Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi