Black Metal.

I have very high standards and I still don't consider it an intimidating task. I'm not sure why anyone who tries to profess knowledge of such a prolific genre of music would find that so unlikely.

I don't think there's 250 black metal albums that I would give a 9/10 or 10/10. I'm sure there are some diamonds in the rough I haven't heard, but I've been listening to black metal for about 15 years and have heard countless records. I even reviewed black metal for some websites for a few years. It's not a put down to the genre: it's my favorite genre of music. All things considered, it looks like I am just more rigorous than you, which is neither good or bad. It just is.

I don't think there's 250 black metal albums that I would give a 9/10 or 10/10. I'm sure there are some diamonds in the rough I haven't heard, but I've been listening to black metal for about 15 years and have heard countless records. I even reviewed black metal for some websites for a few years. It's not a put down to the genre: it's my favorite genre of music. All things considered, it looks like I am just more rigorous than you, which is neither good or bad. It just is.

I doubt that you've listened to a lot of the albums that I have, so I don't really care about your opinions or your perception that you're a more discriminating listener. I don't recall claiming there were that many 9/10 and 10/10 albums anyway. The fact that you've reviewed albums on the internet doesn't mean anything, by the way.

I doubt that you've listened to a lot of the albums that I have, so I don't really care about your opinions or your perception that you're a more discriminating listener. I don't recall claiming there were that many 9/10 and 10/10 albums anyway. The fact that you've reviewed albums on the internet doesn't mean anything, by the way.

That was something I said. Reading comprehension clearly isn't your strong suit.

The fact that I reviewed black metal albums for a website means I've listened to a lot of it. Induction doesn't seem to be a strong suit of yours either.

That was something I said.

I know that it was. That's why I stated that I never said that, because I have no idea why else you would need to mention it. It's not a lack of reading comprehension at all.

Again, reviewing music on the internet does not make you more educated on it than anyone else. It's an easy concept. It is absolutely irrelevant in this discussion. I know for a fact that you haven't listened to all of the same albums that I have heard, so I don't think you can claim any type of authority over me or anyone else in this discussion by virtue of reviewing some music on the internet. I've reviewed hundreds of albums. Who gives a shit?

Pretty much. Having a literary knack, or even a lack thereof doesn't qualify/disqualify an opinion. Only putting the time in to develop an opinion on a particular release and having a good knowledge of their contemporaries is needed. That said, being able to present your opinion goes a long way compared to "me like album! sound good!" I sometimes feel I err towards compared to some of you guys =P

I know that it was. That's why I stated that I never said that, because I have no idea why else you would need to mention it. It's not a lack of reading comprehension at all.

Why would I mention it? Because that was my position on the topic being discussed. There's well more than 250 good full length black metal albums, but not 250 9 or 10s. Do you need to be taught how conversation works?

Again, reviewing music on the internet does not make you more educated on it than anyone else. It's an easy concept. It is absolutely irrelevant in this discussion. I know for a fact that you haven't listened to all of the same albums that I have heard, so I don't think you can claim any type of authority over me or anyone else in this discussion by virtue of reviewing some music on the internet. I've reviewed hundreds of albums. Who gives a shit?

When did I ever say anything about being more educated? Or are you just talking about random stuff that no one gives a shit about?[/QUOTE]

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
You're the one talking about how you review albums so you must be more rigorous and have higher standards than me. That seems random, irrelevant and, quite frankly, stupid as fuck. Nobody cares.

You can keep trying to act like I don't understand what you're saying all you like. It doesn't matter to me. I still won't think any Nargaroth album is good. That alone tells me that your standards are a lot lower than mine.

You're the one talking about how you review albums so you must be more rigorous and have higher standards than me. That seems random, irrelevant and, quite frankly, stupid as fuck. Nobody cares.

When did I say I have higher standards? By rigorous, all I mean is that it seems that I am less likely to give a record a 9 or a 10 than you are.

You can keep trying to act like I don't understand what you're saying all you like. It doesn't matter to me. I still won't think any Nargaroth album is good. That alone tells me that your standards are a lot lower than mine.

No, it shows that they are different.

I'd like to point out that you saying than you are less likely than someone else to give a 9 or a 10 to an album than someone else is exactly the same as saying that your standards are higher than their standards since you are saying that you rate albums lower on average than someone else because of your standards.

I'd also like to point out, as I have already, that you have no basis to claim that you are less likely to give out a 9 or a 10 than I am, as you have no way to determine that information at all. You seem to think that I said that all 250 of the top black metal albums would be a 9 or a 10.

This is the stupidest thing that I've ever read considering that it's about Slayed Necros of all people on this site. You're not impressing anyone worth their salt with your obvious lack of black metal listening experience.

I'm not trying to impress anyone, clearly you are though so why don't you go ahead and make the list?

I'd like to point out that you saying than you are less likely than someone else to give a 9 or a 10 to an album than someone else is exactly the same as saying that your standards are higher than their standards since you are saying that you rate albums lower on average than someone else because of your standards.

I'd also like to point out, as I have already, that you have no basis to claim that you are less likely to give out a 9 or a 10 than I am, as you have no way to determine that information at all. You seem to think that I said that all 250 of the top black metal albums would be a 9 or a 10.

Oh lord, now I'm gonna have to do that thing where I make you eat your words and then watch you do the revisionist backtrack dance.

I said:

If you count EPs, demos and all the sub-genres and cross-over bands, then I think there are 250 records that are at least a 8.5/10. If you count 1st wave stuff, that would make it even easier. Of course, it's all relative to how much black metal speaks to you.

Then I said:

Worth listening to? No, it wouldn't. Very good to great? I would say it's a bit of a challenge. Then again, it depends how high your standard is and how rigorous you are with how you rate albums. Naturally, words like "great" "very good" etc. are quite subjective.

Now, I was under the assumption that you had reading comprehension skills and the ability to infer. Based on that, I assumed that you would be able to infer that when I said "very good to great," I meant 9/10 and 10/10 albums. That was fairly obvious, since I said it is doable to make a list of 250 8.5 or better albums.

Your response was:
I have very high standards and I still don't consider it an intimidating task. I'm not sure why anyone who tries to profess knowledge of such a prolific genre of music would find that so unlikely.

Now, based on what I had previously said, it could be implied that you think there are more than 250 9+ black metal full lengths out there. Now perhaps that's not what you meant, in which case you need to learn to read more carefully. On the other hand, if it is what you mean, then that demonstrates that I am a more rigorous grader than you. Choose your poison.

You are wrong (again) since the terms "very good" and "great" do not have numerical ratings associated with them and the actual values of those terms are subjective. You might have a point if one of the word choices was "perfect" or an equivalent, since that would be a 10/10 album. Nobody calls something that they think is absolutely perfect by the terms that you used. By your own admission, the terms "very good" and "great" are not solid numerical ratings. The implication is not that I think there are 250 9 or 10 albums and it never has been, but I do see a strong implication that you are an idiot who hates being wrong on the internet.

As I stated earlier, making a claim that you rate albums lower on average than someone else due to rigorous standards is the same as saying that you have higher standards than someone else. It means exactly the same thing.

I have no further interest in this discussion and I will not reply to a rebuttal unless it contains something of actual value to the discussion of black metal.

I'm not trying to impress anyone, clearly you are though so why don't you go ahead and make the list?

I'm already in the process of making one. Due to the fact that it won't contain random albums in a random order and I have heard thousands of black metal releases, it might take more than a day to make it, especially because I have a job and I don't post dozens of times per day in every topic like you. Your post was still terrible because of who it was about.

Last edited:
Hmm... My guess is I could list approximately:

11 bm albums which I would rate 10/10
32 I would rate 9/10
86 I would 8/10
198 I would rate 7/10

So, a list of 250 great bm albums is impossible. A list of 250 good bm albums is easy.

I'm already in the process of making one. Due to the fact that it won't contain random albums in a random order and I have heard thousands of black metal releases, it might take more than a day to make it, especially because I have a job and I don't post dozens of times per day in every topic like you. Your post was still terrible because of who it was about.

I do see a strong implication that you are an idiot who hates being wrong on the internet.

Take that salt to someone else, my dick isn't in your cunt so I don't have to deal with your bullshit.

But I'm genuinely interested to see the list.

It's funny, I'm sitting here reading this debate and I really think Omni spent more effort on one of the most pointless arguments I've seen since I've been on UM than I have in the almost half a year I've been here. I may post a lot but none of it takes much of my energy, just random posting while I'm on the job etc.

But damn, you really don't like being wrong on the internet. You would probably explode before admitting it though.

tumblr_n06p93ZQNi1qzx3jto1_500.gif

I have heard thousands of black metal releases

I have trouble relistening to shit I've owned for 10 years because of the amount of stuff I own, let alone something like this. I surmise that's an exaggeration. You may have listened to them, but how much do you really remember?

Your personal inability to keep up with albums and remember your opinions of them isn't a problem that I share. As I've listened to black metal for several years, I've had the opportunity to hear many good albums and also many that were mediocre or just terrible. I would recommend keeping notes to help you remember things. You can even revisit them later and see if the notes hold up.