Black Metal.

I hate buying demos... Paying $12 for 12 minutes of music is brutal in all the wrong ways and I feel like my ass isn't going to get up and put it in the tape player (or vinyl for that matter) in the single room I have in my house that has one to listen to something for 12 minutes (if that) very often.

A few exceptions exist, my Necromantic Worship tape is a beast and my This is Not Doom! Tape by TLoT is great but I still feel like I'd listen to them a lot more if they were just on a disc I could put on my computer.

Tl:dr: I'm too busy and/or cheap to want to give demos time.

Never paid that much for a demo. You're doing something wrong.

The entire concept of the demo is pretty obsolete. I'm not sure how I feel about their current status as future collectibles for early fans of a band. I think it only works in conjunction with a suitable online presence. There was a time where punching up songs on a cheap tape was a necessary promotional tool for a new band. This is no longer the case; anyone in their right mind who wants their song heard will put it on Bandcamp and Youtube in addition to whatever physical release they think will make them the most money. Don't get me wrong - I want bands to make money. But I can't understand the strategy nowadays of creating artificial scarcity around the music of new or unestablished bands.

New bands who release material via cassette only are gimmicky at best and elitist kvlt devotees at worst.

Never paid that much for a demo. You're doing something wrong.

Buying shit from Europe is definitely wrong, I'll give you that. Much easier to wait for a demo compilation and pay $12 for all the demo material than buy it in cassettes and 7s. Take up less space gives you a big chunk of material for the price.

That Black Magick SS compilation I've been praising the fuck out of is a good example. Go through a ridiculous hide and seek for all the pieces, in which the only value the pieces will hold will be in a very small amount of collectors, or snatch that comp and I have all the material. Easy choice.

Buying shit from Europe is definitely wrong, I'll give you that. Much easier to wait for a demo compilation and pay $12 for all the demo material than buy it in cassettes and 7s. Take up less space gives you a big chunk of material for the price.

That Black Magick SS compilation I've been praising the fuck out of is a good example. Go through a ridiculous hide and seek for all the pieces, in which the only value the pieces will hold will be in a very small amount of collectors, or snatch that comp and I have all the material. Easy choice.

I agree except not all demos get this treatment you know?

Well maybe not in the past, but every shitty ass death metal band from the 90s that released more than one demo has a comp out somewhere any more. It also seems to be a trendy kind of thing to do in black metal for newer bands that release lots of demos.

Was sure i read something about new gbk but now i can't find anything. I'm hoping thia is because of shitty train connection/mobile/alcohol.

Well worth your time! Actually some of the finest black metal I've heard in a very long time. There's a CD demo comp coming out later this month too. Check it out.
Will do, the member of said swedish board likes stuff like Lifelover and Shining so I usually don't pay attention to their recs. I have more faith in you!

Reactions: Slayed Necros
So what are the best black metal albums of 2014-15? I've been consumed with work the last few years and haven't given myself enough time to listen to new records. This year I want to get back in the swing of things.

So what are the best black metal albums of 2014-15? I've been consumed with work the last few years and haven't given myself enough time to listen to new records. This year I want to get back in the swing of things.

For 2015 I'll just copypaste my top 5 of 2015...

Akhlys - The Dreaming I
Mgła - Exercises in Futility
Midnight Odyssey - Shards of Silver Fade
Spectral Lore - Gnosis
Nocternity - Harps of the Ancient Temples

Reactions: crimsonfloyd

Some recs from 2014 as well:

Sun Worship - Elder Giants
Woods of Desolation - As the Stars
Nightbringer - Ego Dominus Tuus
Panopticon - Roads to the North
Nasheim - Solens Vemod
Darkspace - III I
Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III
Abigor - Leymotif Lucifer

I wouldn't really call it too doomy. The more exotic Indian sound really is the dominating bit on this album. Their other stuff may be doom I dunno.

Did Peste Noire ever go back to a sound similar to their demos and debut album? The NWOBHM and French folk influences were nice and the music was solid.