California

JayKeeley said:
(1) Some white people were laughing at black people wearing Mayhem and Burzum shirts to metal shows.
Mayhem is one thing, but Burzum I can understand, because Varg is/was basically a nazi.

Then again you have a Graveland shirt and I'm not laughing at you... Though I can understand why people would find such things strange.

Erik said:
Yes. Saying ethnic minority makes much more sense, and such usage adheres to the common definition of the word. What all my whining about usage of the word "ethnic" basically boils down to for me is that I'm very sensitive to rape of languages.
Aha but you didn't pick up on the way I used the word 'colored' to describe non-white people. Do white people qualify as having 'color' by the way? I'm just curious because my white wife spends muchos dolleros down the tanning salon.

Erik said:
Mayhem is one thing, but Burzum I can understand, because Varg is/was basically a nazi.
Well, I'm not sure if he was before entering prison? Also, I can understand the hysteria of a non-white person wearing some sort of nazi memorabilia, but I have no issue with them wearing NSBM shirts.

Two things:

(1) It belittles the aggresive connotation, perhaps in the same way black people took the nastiness out of the word "my pals" by using it to refer to themselves, and nowaday, almost anyone regardless of skin color, heh.

(2) Christians wear Deicide shirts and listen to satanic music.

That's classic! :lol:

I just love comparison mathematics when it comes to subjective things, like blue > red. Cracks me up.

Metal is better without idiots, just like anything else. I could care less if you are black, white, purple, blue, green, or polka dot. If you're an asshole, I'm going to call you as such.

"You called me an asshole because I'm black!"
"No, I called you an asshole because you're an asshole!"

Erik said:
I agree. THat's like some of these black guys in Texas that listen to David Allen Coe and other semi-racist country artists, and proudly brandish Confederate Flags (which in and of itself isn't a racist symbol, but is perceived as one by the less informed)

I am so fucking tired of black people using the "400 years of slavery" argument. It ended well over 100 years ago. Get the fuck over it. Slavery did not effect any black people in today's society. Most white people try to forget about slavery, but it's always brought back to the fore by black people wanting reparations or some other handout.

Forgive the generalizations.

JayKeeley said:
Aha but you didn't pick up on the way I used the word 'colored' to describe non-white people. Do white people qualify as having 'color' by the way? I'm just curious because my white wife spends muchos dolleros down the tanning salon.
I don't think "colored" (or "coloured" as they've taught me to spell it :p) is a good term either as yes, white people have some sort of colour too, but at least it's not misused in the same way as "ethnic." As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing wrong with "white", "black", "non-white", "non-black" etc, and those are the words I use.

JayKeeley said:
Me? I don't own a Graveland shirt, but I do own some of their music.
Oh shit. You didn't even go to Wacken, ha ha. I just recalled how someone wore a Graveland shirt (Mark, wasn't it?) on the Wacken photos that were posted here and somehow my mind told me that was you. Oh well. :p

Erik said:
As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing wrong with "white", "black", "non-white", "non-black" etc, and those are the words I use.
Thing is, this can get even more granular. You see, I always felt odd even using the term "black". Obviously this is a white man's term in the way that "negroes" would be referred to throughout history. But somehow, "negro" is even more politically incorrect than "black". Some 'black' people also refuse to be called "African American" because there is nothing "African" about them.

(In that same regard, I always questioned why white Americans would refer to themselves as Italian-Americans or Irish-Americans).

Living in America has been a real eye opener when it comes to segregation. In the US, there is racism amongst 'black' people. Yes, I do not lie. Amidst 'black' communities, there is discrimination between dark skinned and light skinned blacks - where dark skinned black people are frowned upon by the light skinned blacks. I repeat, this is amongst black people - nothing to do with white folk intervening.

Same thing with Mexicans, the lighter skinned ones can be looked down upon.

In conclusion, people are morons. Welcome to California.

Erik said:
I'm very sensitive to rape of languages.
Interesting comment. Is the English language actually being raped, or is it merely evolving as time marches on?

If anything 'rapes the fabric' of the English language, it has to be Ebonics. I only found out this year that Ebonics is actually a proper language, officially recognised within the USA. So the line: "Fly that plane like a mother sheeyat" - from the film 'Airplane', is actually a worthy sentance constructed from the Ebonics language! :)

The topic by Dreamlord just goes to show the 'emotive' elements that creep in when a black-man perceives he's being persecuted. Some of these guys wear five-hundred dollar gold chains and drive a BMW/Merc and then claim 'My people were persecuted' - Sheeyat god damn, boyee.

To the black guy, the clerk should have said : 'Save the rapping for American Idol', then smile politely and walk away. :)

JayKeeley said:
Thing is, this can get even more granular. You see, I always felt odd even using the term "black". Obviously this is a white man's term in the way that "negroes" would be referred to throughout history. But somehow, "negro" is even more politically incorrect than "black".
I think this is an American thing. It's pretty accepted to say "svart" = "black" here, although gradually more and more PC people decide that "mörkhyad" = "dark-skinned" is a better word. The way I see it, as long as it's OK to say "white," it's OK to say "black." Neither is really descriptive, but better than the alternatives to these ears.

I suppose because of the whole slavery/segregation bit in the US it's much more sensitive to make distinctions between black/white. Well, we never had that, so...
JayKeeley said:
Some 'black' people also refuse to be called "African American" because there is nothing "African" about them.
Sure, I can understand that. They're quite simply American citizens who are also black. I mean, you're pretty much immigrants the lot of you, but you don't see most white Americans going around claiming to be "Swedish Americans" or "German Americans" or what have you.

ChiefB said:
If anything 'rapes the fabric' of the English language, it has to be Ebonics. I only found out this year that Ebonics is actually a proper language, officially recognised within the USA.
er...hehe, yeah...um, we were just kidding about that. Must have forgotten to tell you! :D :lol:

Erik said:
I think this is an American thing. It's pretty accepted to say "svart" = "black" here, although gradually more and more PC people decide that "mörkhyad" = "dark-skinned" is a better word. The way I see it, as long as it's OK to say "white," it's OK to say "black." Neither is really descriptive, but better than the alternatives to these ears.
Sorry - don't get me wrong. It's ok to say "black" here too, it was just me feeling awkward about referring to a 'black' guy as "black". But hey black people refer to themselves as "black" so I'll lose the inverted commas from now on.

I mean, you're pretty much immigrants the lot of you, but you don't see most white Americans going around claiming to be "Swedish Americans" or "German Americans" or what have you.
er, yes you fucking do, and it annoys the hell out of me. My wife is from an "Irish-American" town where 99.99% of people who live there have (a) are 10th generation American, (b) have never been to Ireland, and (c) don't know anything about Ireland or its people.

They all call themselves Irish-Americans.

They just call themselves Irish because they don't want to be lumped in with the Puerto Ricans (just so the segregation can continue), and they have the occasional pint of Guinness.

ChiefB said:
Interesting comment. Is the English language actually being raped, or is it merely evolving as time marches on?
I don't know... Making distinctions like these are always hard, but generally I think that whatever www.dictionary.com tells me is the proper definition of a word IS the proper definition of the word. :p

I just like it when languages that are kept relatively pure, and I feel a good grasp of grammatics and proper word usage is very important (I'm not saying I'm a perfect English speaker or anywhere close... I try though.) Concerning purity, Icelandic is pretty much ideal -- modern Icelandic is nearly identical to the old Norse of 1000 years ago. All new words that need to be incorporated into the language -- "computer", "television" or what have you -- are never simply borrowed or Icelandified in pronounciation as is often the case with other languages (Swedish, sadly, included) but instead words that make sense with and fit into the traditional Icelandic language are invented. That's my idea of the perfect language.

JayKeeley said:
er, yes you fucking do, and it annoys the hell out of me. My wife is from an "Irish-American" town where 99.99% of people who live there have (a) are 10th generation American, (b) have never been to Ireland, and (c) don't know anything about Ireland or its people.

They all call themselves Irish-Americans.

They just call themselves Irish because they don't want to be lumped in with the Puerto Ricans (just so the segregation can continue), and they have the occasional pint of Guinness.
Höh. Well, that's pretty stupid. I mean, taking pride in your heritage is a good thing, but then at least they could learn a little bit about it...

Erik said:
Höh. Well, that's pretty stupid. I mean, taking pride in your heritage is a good thing, but then at least they could learn a little bit about it...
Well, that would require the average American to learn something about another country. Höh.