Can Opeth get any bigger?

ive never seen them on tv, ive heard them once when mike was interviewed for a metal program at 11 at night and i cant buy the cds in my town (population 100,000). not mainstream where i am.

Opeth would never ditch the death vocals , why would you even say that, a side project could be all rock, not Opeth. As for being as famous as those nu-metal bands, that is not the case in the states. Opeth gets very little to no air time.

We'll never become a mainstream band unless we radically change our approach. I'd say the music's too complicated and the songs are too long + there's no absolute direction. I'd say we're too diverse to become mainstream. We have sold over 200.000 copies of Ghost reveries which is pretty good for a band with our style but it's far from being mainstream sales.
With that being said I do believe we can get bigger.

Cheers
Mike

Well one good thing out of Opeth becomming bigger is that more and more bands will be influenced by them so we could see some real quality emerging in the next few years. Also, I am not advocating that bands should sound like Opeth but rather the quality of Opeths music the main influence.

Well one good thing out of Opeth becomming bigger is that more and more bands will be influenced by them so we could see some real quality emerging in the next few years. Also, I am not advocating that bands should sound like Opeth but rather the quality of Opeths music the main influence.

that would be a plus, but i doubt it is likely to be the case.

many people can get good enough to play opeth's stuff, but i dont think youll see too many people able to match the creativity, imo.

Mikael Åkerfeldt;6145165 said:
We'll never become a mainstream band unless we radically change our approach. I'd say the music's too complicated and the songs are too long + there's no absolute direction. I'd say we're too diverse to become mainstream. We have sold over 200.000 copies of Ghost reveries which is pretty good for a band with our style but it's far from being mainstream sales.

Cheers
Mike

That sounds about right to me. By the way, I think the bass should be brought really forward so we can have some bass-lines to rival Roundabout, at least for a song or two if nothing else. :)

~~~

'tina and OPETH

Thats an fn good time.

Even still: OPETH transcends.

Looking fwd to the DVD. No rush on new album. Each album is so rich.

~~~~

Cheers
Mike

Cool, great to get Mikes opinion on this.

Cheers
Mike

Good to hear. And I formally apologize for all the morons on this forum who like to gossip about you like little schoolgirls. Not all of us are this stupid.

I don't see Opeth ever becoming mainstream, but they can definitely get bigger. I'm sure there are a ton of people into metal that would dig Opeth, but they just haven't heard them yet or enough of them.

Though, I think Tool songs can be just as complicated and they sell platinum numbers. I don't think the complexity is really the reason they don't sell mainstream amounts, I think it's because they are rooted in death metal and they don't create viable singles. If they had a track with all clean vocals that was around 5 minutes long (not benighted), I think it could get some decent radio play (after being edited of course).