Controversial non-metal opinions

michael jackson is overhyped and other than dancing has almost zero talent. he is a performer that sometimes sings and has written a few tunes. jackson is more influential only because the media focuses more on him, why? because most of his music was pretty mainstream and easy to digest by the masses. if you read background on jackson it seems he was paranoid his entire career. he stopped using songwriter rod temperton claiming rod was copying prince's sound (go listen to the first 2 prince albums and then listen to off the wall). he blamed quincy jones for prince not doing the duet on bad (prince just could not make it due to a busy schedule). jackson wanted bad to be a double album and the record company said no. while completing bad prince released his double album sign o the times which jones said annoyed jackson. teddy riley was hired by jackson for the dangerous album and said jackson wanted an updated sound that would help regain some of the urband market. riley said jackson specifically mentioned some of prince's late 80's work as what kind of sound he wanted

even without that jackson can barely play any instrument or write tunes. even tunes he is credited for writing were worked on by the studio musicians and producers so that they became actual songs. jackson's work is almost just a formula that he plugged in a few different elements. you would be hard pressed to find many prince albums that sound exactly the same. he's done jazz, country, rap, r&b, rock, techno, house, funk, etc. almost any style you can think of. since 1978 prince has released basically 1 album a year plus tons of b-sides and singles that did not appear on albums as well as writing material for other artists since 1978 prince has released around 38 albums with some of them being double or triple albums. since 1978 jackson has released 6 albums.

I agree Prince is a more talented musician, I think MJ has a better voice though. "Zero talent" is quite a stretch and makes you look ridiculously biased.

I agree Prince is a more talented musician, I think MJ has a better voice though. "Zero talent" is quite a stretch and makes you look ridiculously biased.

i said other than dancing. its well known jackson never actually wrote a song the way you heard it on the album and its even more well known he can't even tune an instrument much less play it. if you think jackson's voice is better thats your opinion but again i think jackson has a very 1 dimensional voice, well 2 dimensions. he has his ballad voice and his non ballad voice.
it almost mindblowing the same guy is singing these 2 songs:
check out the great prince guitar solo and listen to the last 30 sec.:

check out how low prince gets from the 3-4 minute mark:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8noCrJvvvA&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well here we have the Godfather of stage antics and fancy footwork plus his two prodigys on the same stage, you decide...

Last edited by a moderator:

I think they both had/have really great/distinctive voices. Obviously Prince is overrall a more talented musician and songwriter than MJ was but there is no denying that MJ's run of albums from Off the Wall to Dangerous is great stuff.

Rush are average and boring and meh.

Yes I'm attempting to breathe some life into this forum

this seems a preposterous statement considering many things, first Rushs impact and influence on progressive music, that they were one of a kind seems to contradict any thing "average" and a statement such as "boring" from someone who listens to rap which repeats the same musical passage over and over and over, well dont make sense. If you dont like them you dont like them but average and boring dont cut it as valid critizism.

this seems a preposterous statement considering many things, first Rushs impact and influence on progressive music, that they were one of a kind seems to contradict any thing "average" and a statement such as "boring" from someone who listens to rap which repeats the same musical passage over and over and over, well dont make sense. If you dont like them you dont like them but average and boring dont cut it as valid critizism.

It's a opinion, if Satan doesn't like then he can. Serious you are the biggest music elitist I've seen online.

I'll require some song samples complete with break down explainations as to what is average and what is boring... (make sure you pick their worst possible song) I just feel the need to understand such elitist "truth"

Very old Rush is mostly all Im fimiliar with, when they were primitive and just going for it, was a really great period in music

I haven't heard much, just some of their really early stuff that was recommended to me as being their best material. Tried a few other bits & pieces as well. Did nothing for me at all.

Edit: And you always bring up the fact that I like hip hop as an attempt to invalidate my opinion, try something new. You like Creed & Nickelback for fuck's sake.