Controversial non-metal opinions

I have to go with Ozzman because Floyd's my favorite band.

But I do think that Court of the Crimson King is an amazing song by King Crimson; it's a good album too.

For top prog, I'd also suggest:

Floyd- Meddle, Animals (ninja'd)
Genesis- Selling England By the Pound, Foxtrot, and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Jethro Tull- Thick As a Brick, Passion Play, Minstrel in the Gallery, Aqualung

It's cool though to have an opinion towards something less popular or mentioned like Dredg. I understand where Mort's coming from. I always say with conviction that Leonard Cohen and Gordon Lightfoot are better than Dylan, and I'm usually met with scathing retaliation.

I'll take early Tull, Rushs Caress of Steel and Kansas Left Overature above most mentioned here, Floyd is great too, but some of that other stuff doesnt get heavy enough for me.

It's cool though to have an opinion towards something less popular or mentioned like Dredg. I understand where Mort's coming from. I always say with conviction that Leonard Cohen and Gordon Lightfoot are better than Dylan, and I'm usually met with scathing retaliation.

Cohen is better than Dylan. Waits is better than them all though :cool:

All I ever saw of Gordon Lightfoot was one song at Live 8 and then I turned him off 'cause he sucked. :) I'm pretty certain Bob Dylan was pure bullshitting with the majority of his lyrics, particularly his mid-60s work, but I find it unlikely that anyone on Earth has ever written better lyrics than It's Alright Ma. Neil Young's my guy though. If I still listened to that kind of stuff... which I haven't in a couple years, but I could go back to it someday... Leonard Cohen is pretty sweet though.

As for prog albums, In the Court of the Crimson King is totally mind blowing. Pink Floyd is unbeatable in basically ever way but a great many people do not consider them prog in the first place, so perhaps they're out of the running.

I think some 90s rock sounds like an overreaction to the 80s and I REALLY REALLY hate music like James Blunt and everybody else with an acoustic who just comes across as fake and aggresively boring.

I LOVE queen.

I think a bit of flamboyance and fantasy lyrics is a good thing.

When you say 90s, or current rock I think about someone whining and strumming and I feel like I might lose the will to live if I have to listen to any of it.

I don't hate acoustic guitar I just hate 'sit around the camp fire and pretend to be able to play it' inspired music.

If it has a nice sound and isn't just urghh I don't know

'I love you baby' type lyrics it could be alright.

I hate how people get so stuck up about anything that's new and just listen to it to be cool then about a month later they laugh ig you mention it and say the band are gay.

Cohen is better than Dylan. Waits is better than them all though :cool:

YES. Tom Waits is my favorite folk artist, above even Cohen and Lightfoot. I didn't mention him because those two are more similar to Dylan in the long run. Waits has so many intriguing and interesting songs that veer away from mainstream folk. He truly is the most haunting songwriter I think I've ever heard.

All I ever saw of Gordon Lightfoot was one song at Live 8 and then I turned him off 'cause he sucked. :) I'm pretty certain Bob Dylan was pure bullshitting with the majority of his lyrics, particularly his mid-60s work, but I find it unlikely that anyone on Earth has ever written better lyrics than It's Alright Ma. Neil Young's my guy though. If I still listened to that kind of stuff... which I haven't in a couple years, but I could go back to it someday... Leonard Cohen is pretty sweet though.

Lightfoot's voice has gotten very bad these days. If you listen to his recordings from the 60s and 70s though, it's phenomenal.

Gordon Lightfoot > your face

True again my friend, true again.