Dark classical music

Itay

\m/ (*_-) \m/
Jul 29, 2001
@home
i'm sure there was a thread like that before, but nevermind...

can anyone recommend me about classical music that sound dark?
symphonies and stuff...

Do you know Amber Asylum? Check these girls out...they play dark classical stuff.
Try these songs: Riviera, Black Waltz, Cupid, Dream.

I know many dark classical music (my mother teaches piano and she's very into classical music) but I don't know the song's names. I like many of them but I don't pay attetion to the names. Sorry. The only I remember now is Bach's Passacaglia (a organ piece...it's very good!).
Anyway, Amber Asylum is coll.

Try to find 4 CD compilation "Nocturne: Music after Dark". It has almost all melancholic/peaceful classical classics (?), played by famous orchestras and pianists. I found it middle-priced from shopping mall... Great comp if you don't want to buy dozens of classical albums...

for dark symphonic pieces: Mussagorsky, Shostakovich, Rachmaninoff, Prokofiev are all names that come readily to mind (I believe I have a link to a website that promotes that particular era in classical music on my homepage, though)

But kudos to whomever suggested the Bach Organwerk pieces -- maybe because we're all accustomed to that type of music in horror flicks, but it is extremely dark and creepy stuff!

Yeah, we did this a while back and as I did then I'll recommend Mozart's "Requiem". I also have his 40th symphony, but don't like it that much, but "Requiem" is one of the only records besides Type O Negative's stuff that gives me this sombre and spooky mood. I think it's pretty easy to find on vinyl. A lot of the classical stuff has been made in 30 different versions, so you probably come across one of them. Another one (which I also recommende back then) is John Barry's "The lion in winter" from 1968. It's not classical but a soundtrack to the film. John Barry is the guy who wrote music to 11 James Bond films, but this is very different from those. The movie takes place in 1183, so the music is very medieval sounding. I'm a big fan of mr. Barry and have 25 of his scores and this is my favorite one and it also showes his versatility on film scoring. His score to "The last valley" is kind of similar.
He has also done some "romantic" scores, like "Out of Africa" & "Until September". It's kind of classical, but more catchy (and better in my opinion). "Out of Africa" is easy to find on vinyl. Try and see if you can check out the song "Have you got a story for me?" from it, it's a superb song!! Try and see if you can check out the song "He catches her" from "Until September", it's a superb song!!
You might know his song "Midnight cowboy" from the movie of the same name, as Faith No More did a cover on it on "Angel dust" (unfortunatly not on the vinyl). It's needless to say that the original is better!
He also did the theme for the tv series "The Persuaders" if you should happen to know this. Also a superb song, but in his more "action" vain.

Just about anything from Therion. I'd recommend O Fortuna, as has been stated, or various songs from Vovin. Theli and Deggial are options too, but only certain songs.... like 'Siren of the Woods'. Actually, Deggial would be a pretty good album to look at.

Originally posted by Kovenant84
Just about anything from Therion. I'd recommend O Fortuna,

Aaargh, Therion's version of "O Fortuna" is quite lame... I thought, that they made it more original and different, but it's somehow unfinished. It doesn't have that massive symphonic feeling...

Rachmaninoff - Isle of the Dead is an incredible piece, and a lot of his preludes / parts of piano concertos 2 & 3 are dark...

a lot of russian composers already listed have dark pieces...

Grieg - in the hall of the mountain king

the darkest classical composition (besides isle of the dead probably) would have to be the suite by Maurice Ravel for Piano "Gaspard de la Nuit"... composed around the turn of the century (19th-20th), and based on three poems by an obscure french poet called Aloysious Bertrand. My favorite impressionistic compositions ever. (except for some debussy and ibert)

it consists of (very arguably) the three most difficult pieces in the extended piano repetoire. The first, Ondine, (poem about a water nymph) is my pick for most gorgeous piece of music ever created. The second, Le Gibet, (the gallows) is extremely dark, very deathly, so cold and depressing. It is musically the most difficult of the three pieces. The third, Scarbo (goblin that appears in a nightmare) is technically inhuman, very awesome. It is also very dark and haunting, but in much a different way than Le Gibet. The best recording is by Emanuel Ax...but it's VERY hard to find...Ivo Pogorelich plays a little to impartial and cold for my taste...but look around. If you can find Betrand's poetry to go along with it, that is great too.

But Gaspard is the most incredible composition in music history, to me. Very dark. Check it out if you can find a recording. It will be well worth the money.

Erik Satie - Trois Gymnopedies No. 1 2 & 3
Albinoni - Adagio For Strings in G Minor
Samuel Barber - Adagio For Strings
Bach - Double Concerto In D Minor, Toccata & Fugue in D Minor
Carl Orff - Carmina Burina
Chopin - Funeral March, any of his Nocturnes
Mozart - Requiem Mass
Rossini - Stabat Mater
Saint Saens - Dance Macabre
Tartini - Sonata in G minor (The Devil's Trill)

You can't go wrong with any of these...