Deathspell Omega - Fas- Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum

I don't think that I am ridiculing the "founding fathers" of black metal, and I really don't care that much anyway, but it seems to me (and I hope you'll agree) that there are far too many bands, today at least, who care more about appearing "true" than letting their music do the talking. If you spend more time working on your corpse paint than you do your music, I'm not going to waste my time listening to it.

I guess it's just a symptom of my larger disillusionment with a lot of the metal scene today. *shrug*

I certainly agree with all of the above, but as stated, there is most certainly nothing wrong at all with true black metal, norwegian or not. Poseurs are and have always been an everlasting wart in the anus of metal though.

true black metal = respectable endeavour
sounds good enough = is good enough
good black metal = good wine aka complex, not for everyone, but infinitely rewarding
bad black metal = box wine, but still wine

Deathspell Omega = riffs + death
Fas = neither

and therefore

Fas <> Deathspell Omega

Beyond that, I have no fucking idea whether this album is good or bad. For all I know it is possibly a mindblowing piece of (anti-?)musical craft. Point one is, the band skipped several stages from Kenose and took their skills to an achievement of sorts. Point two is, I will not be following them there. Also, Glorior Belli :kickass:

Haven't heard the new Glorior Belli yet, but O Laudate Dominus was a pretty solid album.

Yup, the new one is a step better, with rock-solid songwriting, some wicked leads and a fantastically accurate production (those vocals!!!). The title track (available on their fagspace), the first and the sixth one are easily among the best BM compositions written in years. Plague and dirt!!!!!!!! :kickass:

On the surface of the album: The layout is great for both the digi and the vinyl (though they're basically the same) and the lyrics will take plenty of time to understand.

As for the music: Very similar to Kénôse in many ways, the drumming is fantastic, the riffs are a little hard to decipher, and their is a little more variation in the vocal department this time around. There is a lot of silence on this album, which I'm sure was intentional. The atmosphere is bleak and crushing. It will require from three to six more listens to digest and come to a final verdict.

So far it seems like atonal "classical" music in a metal incarnation.

I finally got my copies in. The packaging is great but my wife is out to dinner with co-workers so it will be a while before I can spin it. There is something wonderfully torturous about having it sit here and knowing that I could give it a listen, but wanting to wait until there are no distractions.

First listen:

HOLY SHIT! WHY HAVE I NEVER REALLY GOTTEN IN TO THESE GUYS BEFORE?
This album smokes.Halfway through my first listen to "The Shrine of Mad Laughter" and I'm sold!

I even owned Kenose for a while but never really thought I'd go crazy for the band.

My favourite had been their "easy listening" 2nd album Inquisitors of Satan, but now I gotta pick up this new one!

Some of the frenetic parts are starting to clear a bit, but mostly it seems like this album--the metal parts--is at warp speed too often. But hey, the drumming is excellent.

More listens required.

I'm trying to figure this thing out. I know I don't care about it much...at least not yet. There are some flashes of brilliance, but they seem like they are trying to hard. At times I wonder if they are trying start some sort of discordant Black Metal math rock genre. :zombie:

I think I like it better than Kenose, but i haven't listened to that since it was released. Oh well. On to Tormenting Legends II.

Listened to this again earlier today and it clicked. Their were a couple certain parts on both sides that were just absolutely stunning, but since I've primarily listened to the vinyl I can't quite tell where one song ends and another begins (in a good way). :p

It definitely gets better and better the more you listen. I absolutely love it now.