differences between U.S. and European metal

Oh no a generic quote attack!

For the record, I find it funny that, for such a triumphant and outwardly rebellious style of music, some fans and bands sure are emo and defeatist about black metal.

Nope, maybe not, but neither do we pretend to.

What's up, Mayhem, Satyricon and Dimmu Borgir? If Norway knows black metal is dead, they ought to tell their bands that.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that Dimmu Borgir is the most well-known Norwegian band, so let's judge all Norwegian black metal off their incredibly high standard of amazing music. That's what USBM haters do with US bands.

@v5

I'll take a "generic quote attack" over a nonsensical insult anyday.

As for your second paragraph, that's even further removed from the truth. Black metal was majestic and magnificent, in its prime. Constant imitation and aping by lesser humans (some of whom actually having the tenacity to claim to be their predecessors equals!!!), however, achives no purpose but cheapening what once was (so clever).

Anyone who thinks modern black metal is only an imitation of older black metal that pretends to be equal to or superior to older music has probably listened to, at most, 5 albums from the 2000's.

People who hate USBM solely because it's USBM are hilarious. Sure, there's some absolute crap bands from the US, but there's absolute crap bands from every other country that has black metal bands, too.
Yeah, I agree that there are crap bands from all countries, the problem with US imo though is that there simply aren't any interesting black metal bands at all. No awsome bands to step on the shit bands. My interest in black metal has declined pretty much the past few years though so I've gotten pretty picky when it comes to bands. The classics are most of the time more then enough for me.

What's up, Mayhem, Satyricon and Dimmu Borgir? If Norway knows black metal is dead, they ought to tell their bands that.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that Dimmu Borgir is the most well-known Norwegian band, so let's judge all Norwegian black metal off their incredibly high standard of amazing music. That's what USBM haters do with US bands.

Just because well-known bands from the '90s are still making music today doesn't mean the scene is still 'alive'. While I can't really speak for those first two, Dimmu Borgir's '90s material is certainly superior to the mediocre shit they're doing now.

I think the point they were trying to make was that Norway was only instrumental to black metal in the '90s (kinda like England was to all metal in the '70s and '80s), and since then the playing field has become level between Norway and, say, the U.S.

As for your second paragraph, that's even further removed from the truth. Black metal was majestic and magnificent, in its prime. Constant imitation and aping by lesser humans (some of whom actually having the tenacity to claim to be their predecessors equals!!!), however, achives no purpose but cheapening what once was (so clever).

Actually, I'm inclined to agree with you here. I rarely find bands outside of the 'forefathers' of a genre worth listening to. There's something to be said for looking to new musical horizons after a genre's already been established, and not beating it to 5000 deaths like most of today's metal artists tend to do.

On the other hand, though, if you care at all about the current metal scene(s), you have to have some level of faith in all those derivative bands. And I think most people on these forums are in that boat, so there's little point in using the forefather argument to peg one country as better than another when people here are enjoying the newer stuff just as much as the old.

Just because well-known bands from the '90s are still making music today doesn't mean the scene is still 'alive'. While I can't really speak for those first two, Dimmu Borgir's '90s material is certainly superior to the mediocre shit they're doing now.

I think the point they were trying to make was that Norway was only instrumental to black metal in the '90s (kinda like England was to all metal in the '70s and '80s), and since then the playing field has become level between Norway and, say, the U.S.

I don't think that's the point they were trying to make at all considering a lot of people including these Euro/Aussie dudes hate USBM for no logical reason (because Pitchfork reviews Xasthur albums, or something else dumb like that).

Also you need to read Omni's post better because that isn't what they were saying.

Yeah, that didn't translate very well. Lesser artists*, then.

So who are you to decide what art is lesser than other art? Oh, and I really don't get how somehow could mix up "lesser humans" with "lesser artists" by mistake. Maybe you're more biased than I previously thought.

Have you heard of this thing called reading? You should try it sometime, so you could avoid making comments like this one. :lol:

I don't think that's the point they were trying to make at all considering a lot of people including these Euro/Aussie dudes hate USBM for no logical reason (because Pitchfork reviews Xasthur albums, or something else dumb like that).

Also you need to read Omni's post better because that isn't what they were saying.

I don't think you're taking "they" to mean what I intended, so hang on a second. I meant it to mean people like you, who argued (see previous page) that Norway is no longer on top of the black metal scene like they were in the '90s. I was only trying to support your argument.

Have you heard of this thing called reading? You should try it sometime, so you could avoid making comments like this one. :lol:

See above. I'm not entirely convinced that you've been understanding my posts, so kindly explain to me what it is I'm 'not reading' before acting like a conceited jackass, kthx.

Yeah GOOD REASONING!!

Of course it is, because it IS correct. Better reasoning is this stinking turd:

Fucking cry about it. I bet you've heard one of the new Xasthur albums or maybe Judas Iscariot (or maybe if you're SUPER KVLT, the aforementioned KVLT OV AZAZEL) in order to make this retarded judgment. Do you really think that "the real thing" has much relevance in modern black metal anymore? Norwegian bands haven't really done a damn thing good in a decade.

Right so FOAD is shit, NWOBHM (EP) is shit, Hordaland Doedskvad is shit, and the list can go on. Even a sub-par Norsk Black Metal band like Gjenferdsel surpasses any lacklustre impostor garbage Leviathan or Xasthur will be putting out any time soon. The thing the US knows how to do is to copy Filosofem, period, except maybe adding their own "little original touch" of gain on steroids.

Tell me, legitimately, aside from Dead As Dreams, what can the US truly claim has been significant in Black Metal in comparison to not only Norsk Black Metal, but European Black Metal? Even Darkestrah, while not hugely popular, have created their last two works which are steeped in culture and true feeling unlike countless USBM releases before and after.

CrimsonVelvet said:
No we wouldn't. In the literally hundreds of black metal shows I've been to around Europa, I have never seen a Xasthur shirt, and the even greater amound of conversations I've had with metalheads, USBM have rarely even been breached as a subject, and always in distaste. Then again, I've only on the rarest of occasions spoken to anyone I've perceived to be younger than 25 years of age, but that probably doesn't help any.

The fact remains, USBM is completely and utterly superfluous as far as Europa is concerned.

Says the fellow from Oslo.

But how many places in Europe have you had these conversations? It makes sense that a Norwegian would consider USBM inferior, but can you speak for other countries that set up Black Metal scenes at the same time as the US?