Dio Tribute "All the Fools Sailed Away" Song Discussion

DanLights

Santa Hat Forever
This thread is for discussion of all matters relevant to the song "All The Fools Sailed Away" to be recorded by a team of Sneap forum members as part of the Sneap Forum Dio Tribute album. Here the team members (preferably the team members only please, unless some cool idea is given by an external person) are to decide tuning/arrangements/whatever and trade the links to finished tracks, scratch tracks, tabs, etc. The person who will mix the final song is to be decided between the team members, be it a member already or not

All the Fools Sailed Away
----
Lead Guitars: Paulie!
Vocals: Bormoleos Van Drill
Rhythm Guitars: Raptor7
Bass: Severu
Drums: Bormoleos Van Drill

Now GO!

First question to the rest of the team. Keep it in original tuning or shall we lower it a half step or so?

Also, I'll post the GP4 tab I've been working from a little later today, it's fairly accurate I think.

-Paul

The tab would be nice (and please export midi file from it just for me to begin programming, i'll use it as a structure).
Speaking about tuning - i think both original and lowered tuning will be ok for my as a singer. So it's totally up to you, guitarists:) Just make it feel perfect for you.

Hi, thanks for opening this.

Tuning - both works. Now the question is, for rhythm guitars shall i use my old 6 string '88 guitar or shall I use my 7 string and by this way to add more character to the song by using the advantage of lower octaves where it is possible. Same case for bass guitar of my friend. This can turn into a real cover version and not just a 1:1 copy of it.

As I replied to Paul, I can try program the drums, hopefully I can find some time to do it.

The 7-String would be kinda cool I think, just let me know if you change the keys of anything so I can move the solo around to fit it. I'll edit this post in a few and add a link to the GP tab. Raptor, if you and Severu have GP you guys could edit it with 7-/5-string updates or whatever if you like.

As far as drums I'm guessing Borm has that covered so we can concentrate on arrangement if you like..

-Paul

EDIT: GP Tab Download Link
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2221479/Dio, Ronnie James - All The Fools Sailed Away.gp4

I was thinking just now.... Are we just going to use soft synths for the keyboard parts and load the midi from this tab or something? Any opinions?

-Paul

I was thinking just now.... Are we just going to use soft synths for the keyboard parts and load the midi from this tab or something? Any opinions?

-Paul

You could obviously do that, although if you want a hardware keyboard/real keyboardist in your song, Vespiz has offered to do keyboards for whatever song is needed, we already have him in a couple songs

I posted the GP4 Tab, I can export that to midi if you need it in that format..

-Paul

Here are the drums for All the Fools Sailed Away:

http://www.maxmorton.com/ATF_drums.mp3

They are in sync with the gtp. But i've got a proposition to change tempo to 130 in all the drum parts (not 124 and then 130). It will sound a bit more vivid and less dull. If you haven't already begun tracking we might want to try it. Just listen to the final part of the song, it's in 130 (like the tab) and it sounds so much cooler.

The coda for this song might be done really glorious and big, like, say, a breakdown like in the middle of the song, the orchestra-synths playing that main riff and on the last note of the riff it all suddenly breaks into silence and only something lonely and bright plays the first phrase. And keeps ringing til it fades. I'll try to do a draft in a day or two.

and update about the pitch of a song. I've tried singing it in any range and though it can be done higher and lower, the original (if it is comfortable for you) pitch is the best sounding. Even if we chose a different pitch, let's chose it now, i need some time to sing a song in it.

Last night I finished 95% of the guitars for this song. I used my 7 string, double tracking, 24/48. I will post the tracks tonight.

Too bad that my question about tempo was ignored. Also not so good that it's 48 khz. Now we're doomed to convert samplerate at least once (or even twice if we chose to work over project in 48).

How's the guitar riffs tuned comparing to the original?

Too bad that my question about tempo was ignored. Also not so good that it's 48 khz. Now we're doomed to convert samplerate at least once (or even twice if we chose to work over project in 48).

How's the guitar riffs tuned comparing to the original?

No, was not ignored man, but I couldn't answer untill I get my hands on the guitar. Now I can say that the original tempos are fine 115/124/130. More balance this way, it doesn't need to be everything fast and punchy.

And why not 48? I thought we supposed to work at the standard quality, right? Niow I can say my proposal of having a producer for each track could have been a good call. Anyway, I will do it at 44, I have no problem with that.
But next time you guys start a collective project pls choose the standard production version, 24/48, ok?

The riffs are not tuned other way than the original. But some riffs are played on the low strings rather than gioing higher on the scale.

No, was not ignored man, but I couldn't answer untill I get my hands on the guitar. Now I can say that the original tempos are fine 115/124/130. More balance this way, it doesn't need to be everything fast and punchy.

And why not 48? I thought we supposed to work at the standard quality, right? Niow I can say my proposal of having a producer for each track could have been a good call. Anyway, I will do it at 44, I have no problem with that.
But next time you guys start a collective project pls choose the standard production version, 24/48, ok?

The riffs are not tuned other way than the original. But some riffs are played on the low strings rather than gioing higher on the scale.

Before answering your post, I must say that I do apriori respect all you, guys, who form a team we're working in right now. I want us to elaborate the superior quality material. And I hope we'll do it together, helping each other.

1)There is no need in a producer, there is just a need in discussing every single aspect of collective work. I do personally receive 44 k projects much more often, especially in audio (not video) production. You know, mp3 and CD's are 44 k. As well as most of the sample libraries. There are virtual keyboard instruments that do not work in 48 k and so on and so on. So 48 as the audio production standard is something new to me.

2)Now, about "ignoring" my question. My question WAS ignored, because you did not answer anything before tracking guitars. Just thinking something and doing what you think is right actually means ignoring:) Not a big problem in this exact case, but makes our collaboration a little less pleasant:p

My question about tempo appeared when I was programming drums and i noticed that DIO version is a bit faster in the beginning. And it gives it more drive and life. I do not insist on it, it is just my point of view, but it should be respected.

3)Ok. Now when we have shared our opinions, let us discuss another important thing, and let us do it right now. Who's gonna mix the entire thing? If it will be me, then i need guitars in 44k. If it will be Raptor7, then ok - I'll track vox in 48k.

Let's think how will we chose the mixing dude:) First of all - who's willing to do it (who's wlling MORE)? Second - who's doing it better. Third - who's less busy.

4)What was your gear chain for tracking guitars? It is interesting to know.