Dio Tribute "Rainbow in the Dark" Song Discussion

Hey guys!

@Mephisto: Just heard the mix and I don't find it to be so inspired, to be honest. For starters, the guitars sound very tube-y and the bass is too bass-y imho. The solos sound like ear darts, I had to cut down the volume on the solo sections. Please don't take it personal, it's just that I think it can be done better. If the other guys involved feel the same and if you don't find the time to mix it again, you can PM me the tracks and I can give it a shot since I have some free time this week. All for the greater good of the track, of course. Maybe you should check your monitoring system because it obviously tricks you somehow. Please keep in mind that this is a CONSTRUCTIVE critique and I don't mean to troll around or disrespect any of you guys, I just want the song to sound as good as possible on the finished product.

Thanks! :kickass:

Hey guys!

@Mephisto: Just heard the mix and I don't find it to be so inspired, to be honest. For starters, the guitars sound very tube-y and the bass is too bass-y imho. The solos sound like ear darts, I had to cut down the volume on the solo sections. Please don't take it personal, it's just that I think it can be done better. If the other guys involved feel the same and if you don't find the time to mix it again, you can PM me the tracks and I can give it a shot since I have some free time this week. All for the greater good of the track, of course. Maybe you should check your monitoring system because it obviously tricks you somehow. Please keep in mind that this is a CONSTRUCTIVE critique and I don't mean to troll around or disrespect any of you guys, I just want the song to sound as good as possible on the finished product.

Thanks! :kickass:
yeah no prob man, do you think the last version was better? i was just trying a new way to mix it. i think I'll go with the last version just warming a little the vocies cause i heard good now. thanks for the feedback!
:kickass:

I loved the mix I was singing along with. The current mix has some wierd overall feel, roughly speaking - like if it was mic'ed from the studio monitors. I'd happily help as well: if I haven't sent the processed version of the vox, I can do it with pleasure.

BTW, I can't say that the mix falls apart - the levels are there, but the frequency balance and dynamics are the two things that sound a bit wierd to me.

Here are the vocals, specially prepared for that previous mix. The package includes:
1)FX.wav - a piece of the mix to get in sync and reverb-delay mixture - with automatization.
2)VOX.wav - vox with automatization.
3)VOX extra.wav - a short stereo back-vocals fragment.

http://www.maxmorton.com/RITD_vox.rar

Those should sit in the mix just right, and I'll be happy if you try them out:)

It is waaaay much better! There is only one thing I don't seem to like: have you used the additional deesser on my vox? sounds like i've lost a couple of teeth in several places:))) we definitely need a bit more sibilants

Definately Much Better, I'll give it a proper listen later tonight when I'm at the house (At work now)..