Dio Tribute "Children of the Sea" Song Discussion

yeah yeah sorry guys :p

I'll be posting an updated mix in a day or two ... christmas and all

Kevin I actually posted a rough version with all the vocals a few pages back ... I thought you had heard it already but in case the link is down
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/594184/Full Vocal Clip.mp3

The over compression sound was coming from crushed room mic ... I let up a bit on that and brought the level down a bit too so it should open up a bit more. I was working on a keyboard part for the acoustic section towards the end so once I track that I'll post the idea to see if everyone digs

Not bad, but the attack of the sound is what makes it sound artificial.
The first thing that came to my mind when listening to that, was to use a Mellotron sample!
There's a sort of Zeppelin vibe to that part, so why not roll with it? :) 'Tron violins or, to make the point even more apparent, flutes!
Then it wouldn't matter whether or not the sound is realistic, since the sound is already accepted as being .. fake.
(The idea of the sound being greater than the sound itself, ya dig?)

^ Jussi you really are THE MAN!:headbang:

I like that idea a lot ... let me see if I have any mellotron sounds tucked away here, or a good flute and I'll try a couple things. If I don't have anything worth a shit would you care to take a stab at tracking the part? That is, if you've got some free time ... I can always tab out the parts for you, they're pretty easy

let me see what I can come up with 1st

Thanks for the feedback!

ok so I have no mellotron samples :(

I DO have a couple of pretty cool sounding flutes and also a pretty nice sounding stacked sound of flutes & strings ... I seriously wish I could figure out how to get my midi controller keyboard to work with this stupid fucking kontakt player in PT so I didn't have to set up my laptop and all

lets see what I can make happen

@Marco .. thanks man! Hoping this next try sounds even better cause musically I'm about as far with the mix as I'm gonna get it I think

okidoki guys here is what is, aside from maybe a few minor tweaks, the final mix of the tune

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/594184/Children Final.mp3

as you can tell its just an mp3 ... I wanted everyone (if possible) to give it a listen and tell me if it sounds balanced enough. I tried to go for something between old school and modern in terms of the overall vibe and sound. If you dig it, I'll post the 24 bit wave in the other thread in a day or two so it can be grabbed for mastering

Again I apologize for the delay and hope ya'll dig it

hmmm ... ok just a little louder you think or a lot louder? The lead guitar I'd be inclined to agree after listening on my pc speakers here but the vocals sounded pretty balance I thought

Ha! My wife thought it was me singing. I had to inform her that the singer was actually hitting the notes, and his voice wasn't crapping out with massive amounts of phlegm.

I think the vocals could be a tiny smidge louder, not a ton though. They're sitting in there pretty nicely.
Solo could come up a bit.

Ok I'll bump the solo and vox up like 2db and post it later tonight to see what everyone thinks

@Travis - I'm sure you sound better than you're admitting to ;) Even if not, your solo is killer!

Thanks Jussi! Glad you dig it man

How about the rest of you white devils ... and Dan? I'll wait until tomorrow to post the final wave file to give anyone a last chance for tweaking suggestions so c'mon ... Kev, Travis, DAN, anybody?