Dio Tribute "Heaven and Hell" Song Discussion

DanLights

Santa Hat Forever
This thread is for discussion of all matters relevant to the song "Heaven and Hell" to be recorded by a team of Sneap forum members as part of the Sneap Forum Dio Tribute album. Here the team members (preferably the team members only please, unless some cool idea is given by an external person) are to decide tuning/arrangements/whatever and trade the links to finished tracks, scratch tracks, tabs, etc. The person who will mix the final song is yet to be announced

Heaven and Hell
----
Rhythm Guitars: Kramer1309
Bass: Severu
Lead Guitar: LeSedna
Programmed Drums: LeSedna
Vocals: Superfreak

Now GO!

Ok guys, at the moment I'm working on the drums. I'll post a sample to see if it everybody likes it, and then I'll go through the whole song this way.

Also, I'm motivated to arrange it a little, maybe with a longer intro, a few synth (not too much, just to make it 80ish but with a modern sound still).

I'm also motivated to mix it if nobody else is against it or wants to do it :)

Hey LeSedna, you were mentioning some arrangement changes in the other thread, what are you thinking there?
And umm.. what tuning do you want to do the song in? E std, D# std, or something else completely?
I'll be able to provide DI's for the rhtyhms (and amp-sim tones if no reamping is possible).
Psyched for this..

I'd prefer E/D#/D standard if possible since my guitars are setup for those but I guess if the vocals require it c# should be fine..

The arrangements would be very few and just little touches. I'm thinking of 8 or 16 bars of intro before the guitars and bass come in, with some ambiance/synth. Also, here and there a few added harmonies maybe, but these would be final touches. I'm thinking of that in order not to copy 100% the song. I think we can give it another taste than just drum/guitar/bass/voice the classical 90's way, without going too far, just making it more modern. Anyway, we can discuss of all that !

For the moment I'm not thinking at all about changing the song structure on itself, I think it's perfect like that. Maybe just editing the tempo to give it a real feel (because starting from a fixed grid can be boring.) Especially since there is the middle part with the solo which is more intense.

Hey dudes, here is my first shot at humanized drums, I am humanizing almost everything by hand from a Guitar Pro i'm starting from : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/881054/Sneap/divers/lesedna_diotribute_hnh_drums.mp3 I'm keeping the original feel but I think adding a few grooves gives it some fresh air, don't you ?

They are raw from S2.0 with kick/snare/tom1/2/3 replaced or augmented with trigger with some quick choice just for work. Keep in mind there is NO PROCESSING, just raw sound as a drummer would send you the files, and also that the sounds are temporary. I may change them depending on what works well with the guitars and the bass.

Hope you like it. :) If yes I'll go through the whole song this way.

Also, about tuning, I'm definitely okay for D or C#, personnally the very guitar I want to use for the solo is tuned in D so it's perfect for me.

Hey,
The drums sound good! I agree on modernising it a little.
What about the acoustic outro thing? should we include it? If so I don't have means to record an acoustic..
Should we agree on one particular guitar pro tab to conform to?
And umm, what tempo changes are you thinking of?
Guitar wise I have Mahogany Bodies for E and D# std. and an Alder body for D std. all with EMG81's in the bridge.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/881054/Sneap/divers/Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell (3).gp4 this one is almost perfect, I'm working from this. Tell me if it's okay for you ?

About the tempo change, I'm thinking of just a few BPM here and there to add some real feeling. It won't change the song, just it means you maybe cannot record right now because there will be a little tempo change.

About the acoustic end, we could keep it, or at least keep its harmonies. I personnally have a classical guitar (not a folk) si I could do it, if ever we want to.

The tab's fine.
No problem about not being able to record instantly, I'll be out of town for three days from tomorrow.
I'd like to keep the acoustic ending if possible, the nylon string classical tone should suit fine.
Looking forward to this..

Ok, i'll try to propose you the version we'll work on, at least fixed in its timing, tempo and length even if the drums are not edited until th end, so that you can record (and me too) while i can go on arranging it and perfecting the drums.

Ok I have worked on the whole BT drums, it should be okay to record over it. I think I won't touch the tempo of it so you can work on it. Please work relatively of it, consolidating everything so that I can have only 1 file for each track, including the first measure of silence. I will improve it, so if you have any comment on the drums for the moment I'm happy to hear it. Also, I'll start on working on the arrangement. (ambiance, outro, etc).

Also, if you know how to, edit your takes. If not or if you don't have the time I'll do it, training :)

BTW here is the current BT (it's still in D# but it's just as an example), it's still uploading and it may take some time with my stupid connection but anyway :
- BT (Drum + virtual bass + synth as voice) : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/881054/Sneap/divers/dio_tribute_hnhBT_full.mp3
- Drums only : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/881054/Sneap/divers/dio_tribute_hnhBT_DRUMSONLY.mp3

EDIT : my project is in 44.1Khz and 24bits, and please if possible give me at least DIs (dualtracked for the guitars of course)

ok! great I'll get started on this, I'll send you the DI's and processed files for you to play with when I'm done. What tuning should I use ?

Hey LeSedna, that BT sounds good. The drum programming is neat, what are you using... SSD? I would try a different kit though, the Old ZEP Kit perhaps?

thanks :) i'll still improve it, i was lazy for interesting grooves in thé second half :)
nope, actually it's S2.0 basic "avatar" kit, in this mp3 with just snare and kick replaced with random SSD Sounds in trigger. Of course i'll change it and also tweak the toms too. I may try how it works via 100% SSD though, i usually prefer S2.0 cymbals and overheads but why not trying. I dont have the old zep kit though cause i have SSD EX. But i havé the old zep kick and snare with trigger platinum.

Ok for C#, tomorrow ill post a C# version for you.

And yes there are 1 measure of blank and then 8 measures of "intro"