Dio Tribute "Heaven and Hell" Song Discussion

I'll be starting to track soon, so just want to confirm the tempo..
It's 86 for 1 bar
then 88 till the fast part
104 till the end after that
And the guitars come in after 8 bars (along with the bass in ur BT v3 ??)
did i get that right?

Well, about the tempo yes. The first bar is not at 88 because the Guitar Pro file, even if it was well written, was like that, and I didn't see that first bar. Dunno why, but the first bar is 86.

Technically, if you record with the BT, it's ok.

The guitars come after 1+8 bars with the bass, that's right.

I expected worse after reading superfreak's comment, but yeah you should try to be more percussive, in term of tempo.

The chords are ok though, but I'm thinking especially of the little notes at 00:22, they should be more obvious to recognize, in your sample it sounds more like a slide than like hammer-on. And the first notes are not perfectly in time.

Otherwise it sounds okay, I dig the kind of tone it gives

yea, i tracked a slide there.. i'll try and play more percussively..
oh, and in the second chorus, i was thinking of shifting some of the chords lower to give a more modern feel, as well as some open chords during the solo?

Do your best, and if it's not 100% perfect, I can still edit it a little to follow the bass that seems to be pretty tight, listening what Severu can do.

You can try it yeah, why not, if it sounds good. don't make it too dark or too metal though.

During the solo, if you want to find some ideas, try finding some open chords as you said, to give it more depth and melody behind the solo. Some "ethereal" vibe, epicness, or whatever. Don't make them too low because it's good during the solo to have a nice wall of sound with a lot of harmonies behind, because a solo is nothing without the harmony that holds it.

Just finished tracking guys..
here's a crack at the tone (sorry there's no automation on the volumes etc yet nd its not toooo tight): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2843326/HnH full.mp3
I'm uploading the DI's right now..
Will you be able to reamp LeSedna?

With ampsims yes, but not with a real amp.

The result is much better, it's tighter, and excepted a few things not perfect (some riffs could be have more flaw but it's okay !) it will certainly fit.

What is your amped sound from ? I'm diggint it.

EDIT : no fear, with a little editing it will fit okay. It's already certainly as tight as the original.

Thanks!
The sound is a quad-tracked blend of a noisegate, TSS+WagnerSharp+GuitarHack impulse and TSE X30+GuitarHack impulse. The Wagner tracks are hard panned, the TSE tracks at 80L-80R. A little limiter on the master.
What do you think of the little changes etc?
When do you plan on starting?

Cheers!

btw: I'm Ishaan.

Okay I'll keep these settings in sight, I could start from them.

The little changes are okay I think, I liked how you made the riff lower and stronger without making it too cliché.

I'll wait for the bass and the voice to start the real mixing

Then, or before, I'll track my solo and mix until the end.

Good job anyway ishaan

Yep, the bass was appealing, can't wait to have it. It sounded so good.

With the voice I will be reading for mixing and will finalize the last touches of the orchestration that is still a draft, and then the solo in the end and we'll be done for a first listen of the result.

Sorry guys to keep you waiting, had such a tremendous amount of things to get done and didn't find time to focus on the song. BUT TODAY I'm currently recording it so tonight you'll have it for sure. :headbang:

Ok, the tracks are ready, I'm dropboxing them right now, it takes me 5 hours or so to upload, I'll post the links after they're ready

hope u like them.

thanks, glad you like it. i used some compression and the distortion from waves gtr solo. if you guys want to, i can work some more on the processed track.