Dio Tribute "We Rock" Song Discussion

I'm gonna ATTEMPT to lay some of these vocals down.. just to give it a show... :-D

-P

Oh shi, now there's too much vocalists haha! Bormoleos Van Drill wants to try it too.

The song is in the original key and the tracking is more or less complete so that wont change.
Who is confident he can belt a high C with ease?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2221479/we-rock-vox.mp3

A Quick first Verse and Chorus... it's above my normal range (which is baritone, this being a tenor part) and you can tell in certain parts.. Much more in Max's range than mine, but I figured what the hell right?

EDIT: Listening to all the fools again, I think Max should do this track.

-P

Dude this sounds good! But I think it'll sound amazing if you layer it with the original style (the way you sang the first "We Rock" when the chorus repeats at 00:13).

Btw are you singing falsetto? cause if you're not and that's your actual voice... DAMN, you got a great vocal range!

Oh, thanks, man.
yeah, you are right - and that's what I'm approaching now - original manner, but just a couple of higher notes. and I'll stop imitating Halford here, it sounds a bit silly in this exact situation. And i'm still not too good in doing grit on that extra-high notes.

speaking about range - it's what some singers call head voice, definitely not falcetto, but it's totally in my head and away from my chest:) the vocal folds fell like connected and very close together.

I think the lead vocal should sing it something like this: CC CC CC EE AAG Next repeat: CC CC CC EE AF AA.
Each note equals a word.

The harmonies are a bit harder though, I'm toying with midi now so that doesn't help either haha. I was thinking unison the first 3 we rocks, the lead takes that E. Then go all out on the harmonies in the double kick repeat.

That was just an idea though It would've been so much easier doing this in person, there's so much trial and error for these kinds of things.

About the falsetto:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I'm very close to the final stage. Vocal lines and original tuning are supertough. Seems I have overestimated my vocal experience a bit:) Sorry for the delay and Halfordisms all over the song.
I'll resing a couple of phrases (that "Woo-hooo can penetrate", coda words "rise up" etc), will do a couple more back vocals, tempo align back vox to the lead vox and that's it.
http://www.maxmorton.com/WR-vox_almostthere.mp3

I think I need to add a couple of fills and change some things with the drums after listening to the vox.
But just so y'all know it I probably wont be able to work with this much after next week. Going to move out and that kind of stuff so I wont be able to get so much done for a while. But I'm almost finished with the mix anyway so it shouldn't be a problem.