Dio Tribute "Heaven and Hell" Song Discussion

superfreak ...nice vocals dude!!
Thank you :)

Also, Superfreak, what is the chain of your vocal recording ? (mic/pres) Cause it sounds good.
It's an M-Audio Aries condenser mic and the preamp of M-Audio ProFire 2626. Not the greatest vocal chain but hey... it works! hehe

Check your PM.

hey! please don't throw me out of this!
I don't want to throw you out of this, neither does LeSedna AFAIK but the guitars need to be tight. If it is possible, could you re-record the guitars? you don't need to quad-track, except for some bits like verse 2 and the bridge before verse 3.

EDIT: Nevermind, I edited your guitars and they sound pretty decent now so you're not going anywhere :)

Thanks Severu.

I think they are great but it is weird as hell to listen to them with a bass guitar panned 100% left!

Wooops, I must have hit the pan knob without knowing it ! :)

Kramer, it's not against you, but your recording is really too sloppy in this version, several persons were concerned about it and sent me messages. So I tried my version cause I wasn't satisfied with what editing could give. If you want, you can re-record them to give a perfect version of them. Only 2 tracks are enough. And I didn't say my version should be kept. It was just a shot I gave it, before recording the solo. If you re-record it, I'd be glad to use it !

BTW, superfreak, i have no PM ? Also, don't forget to send your tracks.

I just shifted back to college so have to set my room and the guitar i left in college so i wouldn't be able to re-record it for some time :(
Incase i do get the time, any particular suggestions to help me reduce sloppiness?
I didn't know so many ppl were concerned..

Yes, if it's well edited and sounds good, upload the edited DIs with the vocals.

News : I have recorded the solo, tell me how it sounds. I have hard time playing in C# with my usual C set of strings on the guitar I'm using for this song (which is already quite heavy stringed) so I adapted a lot of parts to how I can play and to my playing, mostly improvised it to be honest, hope you find it ok :
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/881054/Sneap/divers/dio_tribute_hnh_v5_solo.mp3

Tomorrow I'll have plenty of time. Since I'll hopefully have all the tracks, I have the pleasure to announce I'll certainly make the first fine mix of that song :)

LeSedna: I'm loving the solo! There's just this one bit that I'm not liking so much, it's from 00:50 to 01:00... just those 10 seconds. Also, have you heard the mix I posted? listen to Kramer's guitars in that mix.

DanLights: have a listen, give some feedback... please :)

DanLights: have a listen, give some feedback... please :)

Listened. Your vocals are great, love 'em. Guitars... not convinced. There's still some little details that kinda distract from the greatness of the vox, bass (great job severu!), and overall song.Plus the tone on the guitar isn't at all to my liking I have to say, I'm not an ampsim hater at all but this one sounds a bit too digital to my ears, while other songs like Stand up and Kill the King also have ampsims and sound much better and fuller.

Anyways, keep up the good work! And Kramer, it would be great if you could re-do those rhythms with a bit more tightness to them!

A first approach to the overall mix. Mainly took time cleaning the files, arranging the tracks. Did a first mix (not so rough but still), to actually try a few things. I mixed it in a noisy environment, so if there are a few inconsistencies, please tell me which ones so that I can re-arrange it next time.

I spent a little time trying to give the slow part some ambiance. Also, I tried to approach a more marshall-esque sound to the rythms, using Preampus KnuckleHead from Acmebargig. I may try a few other ampsims to see if there's one that can give a tone mixed between modern and old school, because this one still makes too much noise between the notes cause it needs a lot of boost. Also, will work more on the drums to give them a punchier sound. I used a neutral Trigger sample. I may try something more in your face but not too much (I think this kind of songs diserve to keep a little "realistic" feel to the drums)

No compression nor anything on the master bus.

Here's the link : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/881054/Sneap/divers/LeSedna HnH MIX1.mp3

EDIT : just noticed there is a hit when the song starts. I think it's a bug, maybe the bouncing from the midi/S2.0 --> wav tracks that created a stupid hit at the first note. I'll check it and remove it.
EDIT 2 : just came back and could listen to the mix with my trusted headphones. I think the drums are just a little too powerful ? The bass seems a bit too high too, no ? Or guitars too low ? And in the beginning, the delay on the voice seems louder than I thought it was in my noisy room. What do you think ? I do like the overall feel of the guitar tone.

IMHO Keyboards are too high in the mix and the guitars sound thin. Nice job on the vocals and on the solo! Drums are not too powerful at all. And the (wet) delay on the verse vocals is too high in the mix. That is what I PERSONALLY think please don't take it personal, it's just a matter of taste anyway. Cheers! :)

IMHO Keyboards are too high in the mix and the guitars sound thin. Nice job on the vocals and on the solo! Drums are not too powerful at all. And the (wet) delay on the verse vocals is too high in the mix. That is what I PERSONALLY think please don't take it personal, it's just a matter of taste anyway. Cheers! :)

No pb, I even myself discovered a few of these things :) I'll post a 2nd version today :)

just finished shifting my room today, will get on to setting up my college guitar and give it another try.. any particulars i should keep in mind?

waiting for a second version Mateo! Haven't heard your first version, but are you using your rhythm guitars or kramer's on that mix?

Kramer's.

Well, some particular advices :
- listen carefully to the drums since they are in rythm (excepted I humanized them in order to make them more realistic, inducing a few hits not perfectly on the spot)
- take your time, no need to hurry on them in a few hours. Also, if you still use the same guitar, it will not change my mix if I put them in place of the previous ones so you are not pressed by the time, you can take your time.
- work on them at least a day or two before recording them. I always found having a night helped me "mastering" musical playing of parts by memorizing them naturally
- be untolerant to too sloppy parts. It's easy to spot : if the attack of your guitar is not sync-ed with the drums, and if both guitars are not together, it doesn't sound "huge" or "tight" and you'd better redoing it until it does. It will eventually :) You shouldn't be able to make a clear distinction between Right and Left recording. If you can differenciate them, redo them :)
- oh and, do only 1 right and 1 left for main guitars. During the melodical part, it was cool to have 4 guitars (this remembers me I didn't already implement the 2 other guitar tracks in my first mix)
- try making the verse riff groove a little more maybe. Just a little, trying to make it smooth :)
- if there are a few imperfections in the middle of a great take, you can keep it as long as it is possible to edit it. If a note is not in tempo, it can be solved, but editing can not easily recreate a note that is not well played (so any "mistake" has to be avoided). For example, in your recording, during the chords parts, you did some quite big mistakes on one of the guitars (the chords with some strings not well played) which cannot be saved. Still, best thing is not to think about editing and redo it until it sounds good on its own.
- if you want and think it can help you, I can provide another version with only drums / bass / vocals with augmented kick/snare, and/or my click track.
- try to be as clean as possible, I mean, about the actual guitar noises, cause it is inevitably amplified in the end
- don't stop recording before your guitar actually stops creating a note. One or two times in your recording, you cut the recording before it vanished completely, which is hearable and doesn't sound natural on its own, leading in the mixing to manually automate the volume only to save this and not letting me the choice to let them ring longer to fit the songs.
- Same as before, don't forget yourself to hunt "pops" in your recording. Especially between too takes, if you cut it too sharp it will create a pop. I don't think you did it which is cool but I think in Severu Bass tracks there were 2 or 3 of them, which made me have to manually edit those moments to annihilate those pops. It's not too hard but it takes time to listen to all the tracks one by one hunting which one is poping :)

I think I went quite complete about it :) But it's what comes to my mind at the moment.