Dio Tribute "All the Fools Sailed Away" Song Discussion

The VOCALS:
http://www.maxmorton.com/ATF_vox.mp3
the drums and guitars are that old draft from Raptor7. I've added midi bass just to make things a bit more usual for the listener:)

Now, I'll be reprogramming the drums (all the hits in the same positions, but i'll try to use more custom samples, less Slate's). And we're all waiting for riffs and bass.

Another important thing we must think of is the keys. I can actually program them as well, but it would be cool to have a real keyboardist. Let's discuss it.

Thanks! It sounds really cool! Great job. I'll start tracking this evening. I'll use my Fender Precision 5-string since the guys that I collaborated with on the other songs seem to like the sound.

Cheers.

Thanks! It sounds really cool! Great job. I'll start tracking this evening. I'll use my Fender Precision 5-string since the guys that I collaborated with on the other songs seem to like the sound.

Cheers.

Yup, use that. Sounds awesome.

Max, about keys, Jussi (Vespiz) did keys for a few tracks on the tribute and did a damn good job, maybe if you ask him he could play on this song too

Vocals are fucking awesome dude! Love your tone.. so just raptors tracks?

-P

Severu: I'm totally happy with the bass tone, i'll start mixing what we've got already - rythmsection, solos and vox
then we'll add keys and riffs
I'll bump Raptor again to find out about riffs
Paulie: thanks, man! we'll do a cool track:)

vespiz: I'm eager to hear your interpretation and solo:)

Max, are you going to reamp the DIs I sent you or use the printed tracks? Just wondering..

-P

Well, I'm not sure yet, if they gonna sit nicely on the top of the riffs - i'll leave them be, just eq them a bit and give them some space. If there will be a need to reamp, I will definitely consult with you. But before I mix the riffs with the rythmsection, it's kinda hard to decide with solos.

I only asked because Jevo reamped my Kill the King part and it sounded alot better than the plexi track I sent him, but that original Recto setting I posted sounded pretty OK I thought.. *shrug*

-P

The VOCALS:
http://www.maxmorton.com/ATF_vox.mp3
the drums and guitars are that old draft from Raptor7. I've added midi bass just to make things a bit more usual for the listener:)

Now, I'll be reprogramming the drums (all the hits in the same positions, but i'll try to use more custom samples, less Slate's). And we're all waiting for riffs and bass.

Another important thing we must think of is the keys. I can actually program them as well, but it would be cool to have a real keyboardist. Let's discuss it.

Hey Man! nice voice! it really has the vibe to that song!. I loved the chain effect you had. can you share it? i loved that re verb you used.
Thanks and it sounds really cool! can't wait to hear the final version

mephisto_loh: huge thanks:) nothing really special with the FX chain.
vox>akg c414 b-uls> long stereochannel (russian custom preamp) with 80hz hipass filter and slight rms compression> track

on track: stillwell 1973 with a little high frequency boost. then voxengo voxformer 2 two band mode. some compression on bottom, some compression on top, before compression - 150 hz hipass 24 db/oct.

reverb and delay sends: i always use Breverb Hall, or Lexicon Random Hall, or Voxengo Pristine Space with some Cathedral impulse. In fact, lots of options here. The main thing is that you should watch for the tail to be around 3 s, not too much diffusion, not too much bass in reverb and hipass it just in a right spot (depends on the vocal timbre.

AND it tastes good in combination with delay. i just a standard Cubase 4 stereo delay. Left channel 500-700 ms, right 510-715 ms. Then i lipass lopass it and sometimes put some saturation to make it even more midrangey.

Sometimes i add just a touch of Stillwell CMX to widen the lead vox track .just a tiny touch.

Sweetness.. Max, can you pm me all the tracks so I can pratice my mix skills?

-P