Does a group like this exist?

The_Wanderer

In search for truth
Oct 15, 2001
Santiago de chilito
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if theres a band that's veeeeeeeery jazzy, with tempo and musical changes all the time, and also very progressive and heavy. And if it has growls the better. Please don't tell me opeth I want something more progressive, and that changes more and with more jazzy parts. Does something like this exist?????????????????

Well, I'm not a huge fan of the band, but Meshuggah may fit the bill. Check out Destroy Erase Improve, it's probably their best, esp. in terms of the jazzy elements.

Some of the noise/mathcore stuff might be up your alley too. Stuff like Dillinger Escape Plan, Luddite Clone, Burnt By The Sun, Watchmaker, etc.

Also check out Cephalic Carnage, they do some interesting stuff with jazz timing signatures and go out on some pretty messed up tangents within a general deathgrind framework. Interesting stuff.

On the new Origin album, Informis..., the drummer is also making use of a lot of different percussion styles, including jazz. In fact, a lot of the tech death metal may be up your alley. Stuff like Atheist, Theory In Practice, Gorguts, etc. Lots of crazy tempo changes, very complex music, that carries forth that jazz spirit of almost being meta-musical, if you catch my drift.

You may also want to check out Fantomas' first album. I don't remember what it's called or if it's eponymous....it's a little hard to listen to, for me at least - a little too out there avant garde for my tastes...but it may also appeal to you.

Hope this is of some use to you....

Originally posted by The_Wanderer
Can anyone tell me if theres a band that's veeeeeeeery jazzy, with tempo and musical changes all the time, and also very progressive and heavy. And if it has growls the better. Please don't tell me opeth I want something more progressive, and that changes more and with more jazzy parts. Does something like this exist?????????????????

FISH

but thats not heavy

Try Spiral Architect. Absolutely insane bass and guitar lines. It has members of Borknagar in it, brilliant stuff. No growls though buts it's really jazzy and very cool. Check out the album 'A Sceptic's Universe'

Also check out Pan-Thy-Monium. It's a Dan Swano project whihc is basically Jazz-Death, very fucked up and plenty of growls!

Well...

My recommendation in order of preference would be:

Anglagard - not heavy metal, nor do they have growling vocals, but they produced two highly regarded albums called "Hybris" and "Epilog"... and a live recording as well... try to find the two albums, they might be hard to find... think dark, progressive, jazz, pretty heavy since it's so dark (but it's not metal)... really some interesting stuff, great musicians... you should be able to download some songs from the net, to get a feel.

Cynic may be your best bet to fit all you requirements. Also check out Gordian Knot (no vocals).

Spiral Architect is a pretty good suggestion too.

Dream Theater - Awake - this particular DT album is pretty heavy (except the vocals), a ton of time changes, progressive, and there are some jazzy moments, but still I'm not sure I wouldn't call it veeeeery jazzy... a good cd nonetheless.