Does black metal have to be Satanic?

True, but some people would argue that if it isn't Satanic, it isnt "true" black metal.

And Euronymous said it had to be Satanic and since he is the founder it would seem like what he said goes.

I usually just think of bands like Burzum that arent Satanic as Pagan metal and not really black metal even though I know they "officially' are bm.

Euronymous is a faggot. He didn't create black metal. Black metal existed before that.

Hasn't Cronos always said that Venom was Satanic for shock value only? I know he says it now, at least.

And all Metal (except the "White" one) is generally anti-religion.

And traditional, and power, and probably thrash, and death metal beyond its prototypical Venom and Slayer-worshiping form...

Euronymous founded modern black metal.

Venom didnt play black metal music at all. They were just one of the first openly Satanic bands.

Modern black metal? That's 3rd wave BM, dipshit, and last time I checked, Mayhem was a 2nd wave band. And yes, Venom did play black metal. Ever heard of proto-black metal? 1st wave BM?

Most of my favourite black metal is not Satanic in any way. There is, however, a lot of good Satanic black metal. There is also Christian black metal, but most would consider this a heap of steaming turd.

Christian black metal is referred to as white metal. Interviews with members of the 2nd wave of black metal show that there is a lot of agree-to-disagree on whether or not black metal has to be satanic.

I personally don't think it does, as do the majority of black metal listeners and musicians. Black metal is simply a way of playing metal to me. There are many elements that make black metal black metal; high pitched guttural vocals, blast beats, d-beats, octave chords, diminished chords, slight punk influence, corpse paint, long black hair, complex song structures, distorted bass, and anti-christian content are the most popular, you don't have to have them all.

Euronymous is a faggot. He didn't create black metal. Black metal existed before that.

He put all of the elements of black metal into one project and developed the typical structure of a black metal song, but I have never considered Mayhem on the whole to be good music. Euronymous was very influential on where black metal went after the first wave, though.

And yes, Venom did play black metal. Ever heard of proto-black metal? 1st wave BM?

It's called proto-black metal because it can't be called black metal. Just like how Slayer's Reign in Blood is proto-death metal album and can't be called a death metal album. Venom's music sounds more like a heavy metal/thrash metal than black metal and it just lacks the atmosphere and feeling of a black metal band. To me Bathory's s/t is probably closer to being the first black metal album, heck Under the Sign of the Black Mark is probably the first album that's definitely black metal, and Quorthon is closer to beng called the father of black metal.

It's called proto-black metal because it can't be called black metal. Just like how Slayer's Reign in Blood is proto-death metal album and can't be called a death metal album. Venom's music sounds more like a heavy metal/thrash metal than black metal and it just lacks the atmosphere and feeling of a black metal band. To me Bathory's s/t is probably closer to being the first black metal album, heck Under the Sign of the Black Mark is probably the first album that's definitely black metal, and Quorthon is closer to beng called the father of black metal.

Agreed on all points.

I've heard people talk about it, but I've never actually seen/heard a "white metal" band before.