Does black metal have to be Satanic?

kinda unrelated but, I watched a documentary and some guys from the norwegian scene said Euronymous was a straight A student in school and was scared to drink or smoke. He was pretty much just a dork. They also said he was actually a nice guy. But some of the things he did to Dead I just dont understand how anyone could do. If you have any intelligence you see the dude needs help and get him to a doctor or shrink, don't tell him stuff like '"we hate you, you should just die"

kinda unrelated but, I watched a documentary and some guys from the norwegian scene said Euronymous was a straight A student in school and was scared to drink or smoke. He was pretty much just a dork. They also said he was actually a nice guy. But some of the things he did to Dead I just dont understand how anyone could do. If you have any intelligence you see the dude needs help and get him to a doctor or shrink, don't tell him stuff like '"we hate you, you should just die"

This is all news to me. What the hell are you even talking about? Something you read in Lords of Chaos?

I think he's more or less right about that. I think the documentary he's referring to is Once Upon a Time in Norway. Definitely nothing like Lords of Chaos. It's video interviews with people who were actually in that scene. Not really much room for misinterpretation here.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as its anti-religious. Christian\white\holy black metal is the biggest joke of all time. All kinds of anti-religious statements are good, does not matter if its in black metal, death metal or deathcore for that matter.

All opposition against religion is good.

If you take it the right way, white metal can be just as good as black metal, provided the music is not preaching. When I listen to Antestor's The Forsaken or The Defeat of Satan I just listen to it like an epic story about the defeat of evil. Kind of hard to explain, but I think of it like the Chronicles of Narnia, I used to love reading those books, and I read them recently, and yes they are more or less Christian books but it makes for good fantasy. In other words if you listen to the music as if the content is fantastical fiction (which any non-christian would do), its not bad.

:lol: @ black metal "ideology"

To answer the question though, no. In general, I remain unconvinced that black metal is anything more than a musical style and an aesthetic. There is no unified, overarching ideology of BM, only a random smattering of incongruous themes. In other words, it is no different than any other genre of popular music.

Then i was right. Euronymous was really a faggot after all.

He was probably the worse person in the whole scene with Varg or Faust in second.
He was willing to talk his mentally ill friend into killing himself to help his bands image. Thats pretty awful.

He was probably the worse person in the whole scene with Varg or Faust in second.
He was willing to talk his mentally ill friend into killing himself to help his bands image. Thats pretty awful.

I'm not convinced Dead was his friend. My first reaction on finding my friend with his head blown off would be grief, not "let's take a photo of this shit." o_O

No it does not have to be Satanic, but it has to have unreadable logos. This helps add to its obligatory characteristic of obscurity. You see, if a logo is very hard to read, fewer people will know what it says, so fewer people will have knowledge of the band. The quality of a Black Metal band is directly proportional to which and how many people don't know of its existence.

Why do you think Yagaflababorb is the greatest Black Metal band ever?

This is an extremely interesting but at the same time extremely pointless topic, if you asked many of the founding fathers of BM (to try and say one single person or band started the genre is ridiculous !) , you would get a plethora of opinions. People like Gaahl have stated that you shouldn't listen to his music, just for the music, the message is more important for him others are much more or solely focused on the sonic aspects of their bands. I can pretty much guarantee you that the proprietors of the second wave (the Norwegians) would say that christian BM or white metal as it's called is pretty much an oxymoron, but that doesn't imply that black metal has to be satanic.
Now as to why this is a pointless debate. two reasons come to mind.
Firstly, what are the requirements for a band to fit into a genre ? There are no clear rules, I've always been of the persuasion that lyrical content and the bands image or aesthetics shouldn't be a factor. But are they still BM if they don't wear corpse-paint or 'dress up' for live shows? What about genres like gore-grind, where the lyrical content is defined in the genre title itself. You have to decide your opinion on this matter first. Secondly, what do you mean by satanic? Do you mean the way Christians see Satan? Or LaVey Satanism? Are pagan or mythos type themes (Ktulu e.g) considered satanic? It's all opinion.
Personally, I don't think a band has to ' be satanic' to be BM,but BM is a bleek / dark / despairing style of music so at the same time I think Christian Black Metal, is pointless, I don't see how the sonic properties of BM can cohere with the christian (and therefore most likely "positive" ) message.