Does hardcore deserve a place in music?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point I'm trying to make is that you can sit on your ass and type 'hardcore fag' as nauseum, or you can do something about it and reclaim your scene. I think it's pretty obvious which option will gain you more self-respect.

If edge kids were that big of a problem, metalheads would be taking care of it. Period. They aren't, so I'm inclined to believe it's the interweb talking here.

metalmind342 said:
all of my friends listen to hardcore and i cant stand it. i just dont see what they like about it. what does everyone think about hardcore talent wise to metal?

Hardcore = Coon inspired corn poo

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
Iv'e always liked hardcore of old.. since i grew up in the 80's and alot of them played shows with the thrash bands... some of the ones i liked and recommend are below if you can find their CD's...

Minor Threat
Murphy's Law
Agnostic Front
Sick of it All
Six and Violence
Biohazard (the first album)
Madball

there are others but they slip my mind at the moment.. a couple of what i considered metalcore or crossover bands or thrashcore from those days you might like as well...

Ludichrist (later became the band Scatterbrain)
Crumbsuckers
D.R.I. (later on they were more thrash then anything)

As for the criticism of the rituals of slamdancing, stagediving, fighting etc.. metal has a few of their own that can be stupid as well lol as for straight edge .. even though i dont agree with them about being clean to each his/her own.. but you see some things similar in metal like elitism , true bm etc...
Yes, Biohazard and Madball are one of my most favourite bands.

Do you not like later Biohazard? Many seemed to turn their back on them around the time Mata Leao was released but I like some of Uncivilization and Kill or Be Killed. They've done the metal-hardcore earlier than most of these newer metalcore bands like Killswitch Engage and they've done it better.

Cryptkeeper said:
Bands sometimes chose odd bands to tour with. I always will wonder why Slayer would tour with Killswitch EnGAYge.
To attract more people. If Slayer tours with another thrash band many of the fans of the other band would already be at the slayer concert, so it wouldnt boost revenue very much. If they tour with a hardcore band it would draw another audience to the show and increase ticket sales.

A lot of harcore isnt really that bad musically. I like Thrice and Unearth a lot. Its just that the hardcore fans are really incredibly fucking annoying most of the time.
[edit] forgot Minor Threat. They're good too

Cryptkeeper said:
They're also vegatarian faggots, and anti-homophobe/racist/sexist
Are you saying you are anti-gay/racist/sexist? The genes someone was born with don't affect whether or not you are an cool, interesting person. I know plenty of assholes who are straight, white, and/or male.

Homophobic refers to a psychological fear of homosexuals, not discrimination against them

AlphaTemplar said:
Are you saying you are anti-gay/racist/sexist? The genes someone was born with don't affect whether or not you are an cool, interesting person. I know plenty of assholes who are straight, white, and/or male.

Homophobic refers to a psychological fear of homosexuals, not discrimination against them
No, I'm not saying that. I'm not a SxE fag. Homophobic is a gay word, becasue most people who hate them arn't affraid of them.

blackink said:
Some of you dudes sure do have a hard-on for edge kids. As a straight edge kid myself, I could just as easily make some unflattering observations about metal fans based on what I've seen at various shows.

Whatever. Neither opinion is of any consequence and I'll not follow them further.

The point I really want to raise is that it would be remiss for metal fans to write off the hardcore genre when they're only being exposed to a sub-mainstream bastardized hybrid of metal and hardcore. If you think bands like Converge, Atreyu, As I Lay Dying and Killswitch Engage are hardcore acts, man, think again. Funny thing is, the scene underwent a similar misrepresentation by bad metal in around '00 with bands like Poison The Well and Red Roses For a Blue Lady.

You want some good recent core? Check out these bands:

-Modern Life Is War
-Blacklisted
-Lights out
-Bones Brigade
-Paint It Black
-Stand & Fight
-Champion
-Have Heart
-Plan of Attack
-Drug Test
-Career Suicide

Sounds like punk? 'Hardcore' punk it is!

No those bands suck. Good hardcore is shit like

Coalesce
Buried Alive[now Terror]
Turmoil
Harvest
Arkangel
Heartscarved
Indecison
Mushmouth
Day Of Mourning
Strife

MOst of these bands split up , if you got any information on what the fuck they are doing now, tell me, thanks.

blackink said:
I could just as easily make some unflattering observations about metal fans based on what I've seen at various shows.

:lol: Like sit/stand there and listen to the music? People who mosh with the limited notion that they are there to cause damage rather than listen to music are not "metalheads." They're morons.

MURAI said:
Yes, Biohazard and Madball are one of my most favourite bands.

Do you not like later Biohazard? Many seemed to turn their back on them around the time Mata Leao was released but I like some of Uncivilization and Kill or Be Killed. They've done the metal-hardcore earlier than most of these newer metalcore bands like Killswitch Engage and they've done it better.

Yeah i like the later Bio as well.. just pointing out that they were more hardcore in the beginning then later on... :ill:

V.V.V.V.V. said:
:lol: Like sit/stand there and listen to the music? People who mosh with the limited notion that they are there to cause damage rather than listen to music are not "metalheads." They're morons.

EXACTLY what I think. I don't go to shows to try to prove to other people I can run around in circles and push people, I go to shows to listen to music. Of course, if the music's good, the headbanging is allowed, but moshing IMO is just stupid.

I am not into hardcore music really with the exception of a few bands that have a heavy metal influence but I do think it has a place in music. Hardcore kids piss me off to no end. It just so senseles sto run around and gang up on people because you don't agree with them. Just mind your own business and enjoy the fucking show. A few months ago a friend and I went to see God Forbid cause we enjoy their music. The venue was filled with nothing but hardcore kids and we were the only two with metal t shirts on. I was wearing a King Diamond shirt and he was wearing an Overkill shirt. We were getting dirty looks the entire night. Luckily nobody fucked with us cause we don't take any shit and it would have been a scene if someone tried to. So this awful band Norma Jean plays before God Forbid and the whoel audience is kung foo fighting. Some random girl is standing there enjoying the music and some bald 12 year old pussy runs up to her and elbows her in the head. I mean what the fuck? God Forbid went alot more traditional heavy metal/thrash on their latest album and suprisingly alot of these idiots left when they hit the stage which was fine by me.

The next day I was gonna go see Black Dahlia Murder cause I like them. They were playing with Terror, Remembering Never and Unearth. Unearth is ok but I am not a big fan of theirs. Something came up and I couldn't make the show. I read the next day that riot ensued at the venue during Terror's opening set. Hardcore kids and metal heads were fighting, a blood bath was what the venue looked like, people getting stretchered out and the show had to be cancelled. Now I know some of you consider Black Dahlia Murder a metal core band or whatever but I dont think so. I believe they are just a melodic death metal band. I saw them at the same venue a month earlier headlining and there was not one hardcore kid there, it was a metal head packed show... 16 year olds wearing Celtic Frost and Death t-shirts.

These hardcore kids are just unreal and if they ever fuck with me theres gonna be a war because if I get ganged up on I go fucking nuts. They won't know what hit them.

Silent Song said:
i actually agree with that, i don't drink or do drugs, but who cares. half my friends do. i'm no better or worse than them for it, its just my choice. no more or less metal than any other choice. i hate elitism of all forms. people who claim to be better cause they're 'straight edge' or better cause they can drink more without passing out, who gives a damn......

i agree :) i am straight edge myself, but i hate the whole hardcore elitism thing where a bunch of fat sXe guys go running around beating up people who aren't. invariably they always target the "weaker" ones, not the OTHER big crowd of fatasses who are drunks who are also there solely to fuck with people. i don't have any problem with people being rowdy at shows, that's part of the whole experience... but if you go for the sole purpose of hurting other people, that is just sad.
i've had the unpleasant experience of being screwed with by BOTH groups at shows before; the sXe hardcore jerks messing with me since i have long hair (they assume most metalheads are drunks) and lack of demarcation as a straight edge person [i feel no need to signify my choice of lifestyle in outward displays of clothing or symbols]...... and the drunks messing with me since they mess with pretty much everybody.
anyway, the line between hardcore and metal music is being increasingly blurred, drawing a more and more 'mixed crowd' at shows these days. until people learn to actually get along with different groups and seperate their ideologies from the music they listen to (mind you it's not just hardcore kids who do this), going to shows will remain a mixed bag of good and bad experiences, instead of just a pure 100% good time, which is usually everyone's stated intent.

Feicht said:
i am straight edge myself, but i hate the whole hardcore elitism thing where a bunch of fat sXe guys go running around beating up people who aren't.

Ok, I've noticed many guys on this board and in my life who call themselves "straightedge", but as a former I feel I have to point this out...

NOTE TO ALL THE METAL GUYS WHO AREN'T AWARE:

BEING AN ACTUAL SxE MEANS A WHOLE LOT MORE THAN JUST NOT DRINKING OR DOING DRUGS. IF THAT WERE THE CASE, MY MOM COULD CALL HERSELF ONE.

I happen to believe in and support the traditional straightedge philosophy of no sex or eating meat in addition to no drink/drugs/smoking (though I don't follow it anymore by any means :D) and I think the 'clean body, clean mind' concept has lost much of it's initial meaning with recent generations whoring out sXe to appeal to the masses.

I have a friend, who is formerly a "Straight-Edge" person.

When there are parties or such, we would offer him nice meat, beer to drink and he refuses to. We said, cut off the Straight-edge mentality or whatever you call it! It's just too annoying cause, we know he really likes to eat meat, but he still restricts himself to eat. What he did, was he bought food for himself, vegetables that is. I like veggies too, and now he shifts himself to emo, which is more gayer.

He even did plan to go to some temple or something...

Status
Not open for further replies.