DragonForce and Trivium in Terrorizer - a few things worthy of discussion

Nate The Great said:
I just randomely chose a song, since I couldn't be bothered to interupt In The Woods . . . to find a good representation of the band.
It's a fair representation. I totally dig that song. The opening riff just slays.

By the way, I expect 95% of the board to hate it. Mostly, because they want to hate it.

Zod

MadeInNewJersey said:
...like 1 million other crappy metalcore bands do, i.e. As I Lay Dying, Black Dahlia Murder, etc., et al.
And therein lies the crux of my arguement. I don't hear any other bands doing it the way Trivium does it. I don't hear pure Metal riffing. I don't hear long, drawn out, twin lead guitar solos. I don't hear superb drumming. I find both As I Lay Dying and Black Dahlia Murder to be impossible to listen to.

There are Core style breakdowns, which I think they leverage well. There are Core sounding vocals. And consequently, I don't think the Metalcore tag is completely unwarranted. However, for me, the term Metalcore suggests a band that can't play their instruments, who completely forgoes soloing, and whose roots lie much closer to Core, than Metal. To my ear, Trivium's roots lie much, much closer to traditional Metal.

Zod

JayKeeley said:
Before this thread spirals, I just wanna make it clear -- the debate is more about whether Trivium are the "real deal", and it has *nothing* to do with their music.
That's part of it, but not the only thing I've taken issue with in this thread.
JayKeeley said:
They do appear to know their Death and Morbid Angel though, I'll give them that.
Do you really think they've been told to listen to these records, just in case they were ever asked to pick them out blindly?
JayKeeley said:
PR agents sitting in on interviews?
I don't really care if their PR agent holds their sack while they shoot videos.
JayKeeley said:
trying to win "credibility" by wearing Mayhem shirts
Yes, this is just terrible. I would never listen to any band who deliberately tried to cultivate an image:

01.jpg

immortal.jpg

JayKeeley said:
Why isn't it possible that we could be dealing with something that's been entirely manufactured by Roadrunner a la N Synch?
I actually think this is true of Hammers of Misfortune. They've got that token hot chick in the band. They've got elements of 70s Prog, so they can suck in the whole tree-hugger crowd. Plus, if you look at them, and they're definitely trying to draw in the goth crowd judging by the way they dress:

100_0074.JPG

100_0075.JPG

Zod

MadeInNewJersey said:
Aside from Zod openly admitting to having horrid tastes and being completely wrong :loco: this is a 3+ page thread with a "heated" debate that didn't degenerate into an ugly flamewar. Kudos RC Forum.
I'm just typing away, and humming Lizzy Borden's "Me Against the World".:headbang:

Zod

EDIT: By the way, in keeping with the whole "Zod has horrible tastes" thing, the two Thyrfing CDs I ordered from MetalDisc finally arrived.

i think most every band, whether intentional or not, project some sort of "image"...it's hard to get signed and become well-known if there isn't some kind of image attached to the band. now some bands try harder than others to project a certain image (the entire genre of black metal for example) but comparing a band like judas priest, who helped popularize an image they created, and a band like trivium, who try to cop "underground" respectability by associating themselves with well-respected bands, is a poor comparison.

now granted, there's nothing wrong with wearing another band's t-shirt, but every pic i've ever seen of this band features every member sporting some vintage metal shirt. i just get the feeling they're trying way too hard.

General Zod said:
"I am the Black Wizards" (why that's plural, I'll never know)

It's plural because that's the only way it makes sense.

"I" in this case is not one particular black wizard, "I" happens to be the embodiment of the whole damn group of wizards.

And when I got this Terrorizer a few weeks ago, Trivium seemed damn contrived to me. I love how Terrorizer pegged some other band as having brand new shirts from old bands, obviously bought and selected just for the photo shoot, and not because the members are actually fans of the band.

General Zod said:
I actually think this is true of Hammers of Misfortune. They've got that token hot chick in the band. They've got elements of 70s Prog, so they can suck in the whole tree-hugger crowd. Plus, if you look at them, and they're definitely trying to draw in the goth crowd judging by the way they dress:
The thing is that HOM are spontaneous with all these. Just doing how they feel, without thinking if anyone will like it and there is nothing manufactured about their image (and especially music). At least that's the impression i have, and i bet most of their fans are thinking the same. I also hope that you don't really believe that any goth fan would like their music, not to mention that most 70s prog fans wouldnt like it too.

he's just trying to pick on some peoples' fave bands since some are picking on his favorite metalcore band.

General Zod said:
This idea that they "claim" to be Metal, for some reason other than that's how they actually view themselves, is completely absurd.

Are you saying that,

A- There is no money to be made in metal in 2006,

and/or

B- That if there is money to be made in metal, that nobody's manufacting bands to get at that money,

and/or

C- It would be a dirt cheap investment for a real money player to dig up some guys that just yesterday started to think metal was cool, and throw them at the Ozzfest crowd,

and/or

D- If a metal band is manufactured, that an effort wouldn't be made to make sure they had credibility?