Dreams

zabu of nΩd

Free Insultation
Feb 9, 2007
I'm not sure where or how I should post something like this, really; but I love talking about dreams, and I figured if there were anywhere on the forums to start a discussion on them, it's here.

This thread is intended as a place to post dreams you've had, or to analyse dreams, or simply to discuss dreams in a general sense. To me, dreams are an endless source of fascination, and I imagine there's someone else in our metal community who feels the same way.

Bonus points for anyone who can post a metal-related dream. o_O

To start things, off:

I've heard of people having flying dreams before. What I find interesting is that I never seem to have such dreams - but I do have dreams about jumping. It's like being on a different planet or something - I can jump to incredible heights, and cross huge distances. I even get nauseous from the forces induced by the rapid ascent and descent. It's creepy.

I seem to have these dreams fairly regularly - at least, every few months or so, I'll remember a particularly vivid one. My favorites are the ones which take place in forests. Usually in those dreams the trees will be ridiculously tall (i.e. hundreds of meters), and I'll be able to soar into their upper branches with little effort. It's one of the most majestic experiences ever; I would expect something comparable from tripping on acid. :)

Another curiosity is that I often get panicky while I'm in the air. I'm normally a bit afraid of heights, so I guess this makes sense. But that fear hits me hard every time I make an especially high jump in the dream - I just feel completely out of control, with no frame of reference or anything to guide me. The fear seems to be the only thing that limits how high I go.

I just find it odd that my 'superpower' of choice in dreams seems to be jumping rather than flying. Is it like this for anyone else? I'm interested to know how many people have flying dreams, and how many have jumping dreams.

For years I've only very rarely remembered any dreams. Lately I've started meditating and will remember some quite vividly for the next day or so. Would love to understand the mechanisms behind this, but am not big on the whole 'dream analysis' thing itself...

Huh. That's pretty impressive. I've never really given much thought to meditation, or taken the time to develop a serious habit of it. Do you follow some kind of manual, or just do your own ritual?

I had one flying dream I recall. well, it was more like floating around in an invisible hot air balloon, but it was still fun. I think my dream character was on drugs (and the song Samael - Together was playing in the background) it was great.

the coolest dream I ever had though, I was like 13 or 14, I fell from a plane and hit the ground, waking on my stomach with a flinch and jump. it was so awesome to actually feel the impact like that.

a side note. anyone who's interested in 'meditation' type stuff but can't really be bothered with it (sitting around in silence all the time when you have so many things that need to be done) check out Anna Wise' 'High Proformance Mind', it has some fuckin trippy mental experiences, a lot more fun than just wall staring.

A more interesting question...what ARE dreams? Are they a representation of the etheric, astral and ego free from physical consciousness? This is the most sensible explanation i've come across.

Huh. That's pretty impressive. I've never really given much thought to meditation, or taken the time to develop a serious habit of it. Do you follow some kind of manual, or just do your own ritual?

Read a few different Buddhist varities, and a little of some neuroscientist come theologists ravings, experimented a little, and put it all together in a form to suit me. I wish I could develop a serious habit of it, I feel better when I do it. I'll look into that mentioned book Seditious...

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/burns/wheel088.html
http://www.shaktitechnology.com/index.htm

This thread made me realise that the only 2 dreams I remember, happened when I was a young teenager. In one of them I pushed my brother off a cliff, in the other I watched him get stung by a cobra... I guess I remember them because they were such a shock to the system - I didn't feel badly towards him and couldn't understand why I'd dream such things.

A more interesting question...what ARE dreams? Are they a representation of the etheric, astral and ego free from physical consciousness? This is the most sensible explanation i've come across.

That's all it is to me--the self free to play around in the brain without interruption

This thread made me realise that the only 2 dreams I remember, happened when I was a young teenager.

could be because most people seem to get like 6-7 hours sleep most nights when they have a 9-5er.

me I sleep like 10 hours or sumn a night LMAO and it seems like most of my dreams occur in those last few hours. edit: and also when I wake up I don't go 'fuck what's the time, turn that damn alarm off, what day is it, dadadadada...' I roll around and think about the dream that just happened if I woke up during it and try to remember as much as I can, so maybe that helps too.

Fair point actually - perhaps the meditation is just contributing to either a more rested state, or 'better' sleep per sleep hour, so I get to the 'final portion' of sleep more often.

When I said they were the only 2 dreams I remember, I didn't mean they're the only ones I've ever recalled, just that I've forgotten the rest.

That's all it is to me--the self free to play around in the brain without interruption

Well, not IN the brain - some people say dreams are actual experiences, just not on the "physical plane". When you wake up the experiences come to us as worldly-grounded thoughts and feelings because that's the only way we can explain them. Of course, all this is completely unverifiable.

Well, not IN the brain - some people say dreams are actual experiences, just not on the "physical plane". When you wake up the experiences come to us as worldly-grounded thoughts and feelings because that's the only way we can explain them. Of course, all this is completely unverifiable.

I'm fond of Occam's Razor; more likely the imaginary scenario occurs than a whole transcendental experience occurs and then my brain decides to translate it into an imaginary scenario from which I receive no insight about this transcendental experience at all.