EMPYRIUM - a class of their own

NAD said:
So many albums being purchased since I fulfilled the 4 Empyrium full lengths and I always look at these CDs and think "yes, these are grand indeed." I think in the coming years I will appreciate these masterworks more, but for now whenever I grab one of the shelf I find myself truly moved.

Anyhow, anyone check out The Vision Bleak yet? Similar? As good as? Bonglicious?

http://the-vision-bleak.de/
The Vision Bleak are neither similar, nor as good as Empyrium, but still not too bad at all. I have the album, but have actually only listened to it a couple of times. If you've heard Empyrium or SoTS, then it's quite a strange listen as it's just not what you'd expect.

As for Empyrium, "Songs..." is still my favourite (and favourite of all time) but I love the dark folk ones too. And yes, they are all masterworks :)

This thread needs regular bumping. Where at Night the Wood Grouse Plays (the song) is one of the most beautiful things ever.
JayKeeley said:
No Empyrium collection is complete without Poems to the Wretches Hearts.
Not really sure how I missed this... SOLD!

You might want to check out Uaral and Estatic Fear at some point as well. The singer in Uaral is so fucking depressed, he actually starts weeping at the mic.

EDIT: Note that Poems... is Empyrium gone BM for the most part.

NAD, it is included in your package. For some reaosn, I dont think that the official release is pressed yet although the release date was a few months back.

ALSO, the label, Lost Horizon Records, from my understanding, is now defunct.

Wtf omgzzzz?!

Fuck knows. All it is doing is pissing me off. I'm about to contact the guys from Mar De Grises and see if they know Aciago or the vocalist from Uaral. I've been fervently looking for the past 3 weeks to NO avail.

One Inch Man said:
I can't get enough of Where At Night the Wood Grouse Plays, it showed up the other day. This is truly beautiful stuff.

Is Tenhi relatively similar to Empyrium's later period?

DUDE! I said before. BEST ALBUM evAARR. ...and you said that it doesn't do that much for you.

Contrare Moufrare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

omg! wtf? When did I say that? I think many moons ago Songs of Misty Minefields didn't do much for me (now it does a LOT), but I've always loved Wood Grouse.

Picked up "Songs of Moors and Misty Fields" a few months ago. I think I've spun it once. Didn't do much for me. Not bad mind you, just not something that musically demanded that I listen to it again. However, given that Jay is such an unabashed fanboy of this disc, I'm going to have to make it a point to give it 3 or 4 spins and afford it an opportunity to sink in. I'm ripping it my iPod as type this.

Zod

General Zod said:
Picked up "Songs of Moors and Misty Fields" a few months ago. I think I've spun it once. Didn't do much for me. Not bad mind you, just not something that musically demanded that I listen to it again.
It all depends on how you perceive dark folk metal I guess. It's not just me that thinks this album is phenomenal, it's all the people on this board that actually own it (see recent discussion in our latest purchases thread). Empyrium do require a few listens, lights dim, headphones on...that kinda thing. It'll never, ever be a one shot deal playing in the background because it's music to mourn to. No lie, but it's probably one of the greatest albums to emerge from the 90's, certainly from one of the greatest bands. When it hits you, I'll bet you go out and buy their entire catalog!

JayKeeley said:
Empyrium do require a few listens, lights dim, headphones on...that kinda thing. It'll never, ever be a one shot deal playing in the background because it's music to mourn to.
Glad to know I'm not the only one who listens to music like this.

Zod

J. said:
yeah, but that Primordial album rules, eh?
I remember feeling that way after my first listen. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to return to it. I've had so much new music on my plate lately, that many things have only gotten a spin or two. I think I'm going to make it a point to listen to Empyrium and Primordial tonight. Fuck it... sleep is overrated.o_O

Zod

Dark Symphonies just got a shit-ton of stuff in including Empyrium, Tenhi, Green Carnation, and Lilitu, FYI.

I'm thinking of taking a risk with Empyrium. Which one should I get?

J. said:
Dark Symphonies just got a shit-ton of stuff in including Empyrium, Tenhi, Green Carnation, and Lilitu, FYI.

I'm thinking of taking a risk with Empyrium. Which one should I get?
omg, I'm going there now.

Look man, just get Songs of Invading Moors and Retreating Spaniards.