fave death metal band?

yes its all fuckin amazing decapitated are good for their age, nihility is nothing compared to the first album Winds of Creation though, i think they need Pete of Vader to produce there next album like they did on Winds.

Whoever says Morbid is boring, idk what to say to u but blah, if the riffs and double bass dont amaze u, just sit there and listen to the solos from Covenant and on. if it wasnt for them, half of the DM bands to day wouldnt be around. Even Mikael says Altars of Madness one the greatest metal influences. Gateways is slow but yet so brutal wit trey's magnificent guitar work and dynamics, and maybe his best solos (lava) to date. morbid is still death metal and forever kings of the game untill they are finished

simple; suffocation are the only important deathmetal band. every other deathmetal band is unessential. i used to be a huge deathmetal head, but suffocation is really the only deathmetal band that made a difference. its to bad no one ever see's the greatness of them, especially pierced from within. i dont even place it with other deathmetal albums though. it has far to much depth for most deathmetal fans. People only see it as "another brutal deathmetal album". Very few of us will see through to the sheer beauty of it, and with all the hidden re-occuring themes it is like a continous journey. its always best to listen to it from beginning to end. Pierced from Within is in the 3 most important albums for me, as well as ulver's perdition city/silence ep's and king crimson - red. go fuck off now people.

Apocalyptic said:
simple; suffocation are the only important deathmetal band. every other deathmetal band is unessential. i used to be a huge deathmetal head, but suffocation is really the only deathmetal band that made a difference. its to bad no one ever see's the greatness of them, especially pierced from within. i dont even place it with other deathmetal albums though. it has far to much depth for most deathmetal fans. People only see it as "another brutal deathmetal album". Very few of us will see through to the sheer beauty of it, and with all the hidden re-occuring themes it is like a continous journey. its always best to listen to it from beginning to end. Pierced from Within is in the 3 most important albums for me, as well as ulver's perdition city/silence ep's and king crimson - red. go fuck off now people.

you win the gayest post of the day award.

loebs said:
yes its all fuckin amazing decapitated are good for their age, nihility is nothing compared to the first album Winds of Creation though, i think they need Pete of Vader to produce there next album like they did on Winds.

Whoever says Morbid is boring, idk what to say to u but blah, if the riffs and double bass dont amaze u, just sit there and listen to the solos from Covenant and on. if it wasnt for them, half of the DM bands to day wouldnt be around. Even Mikael says Altars of Madness one the greatest metal influences. Gateways is slow but yet so brutal wit trey's magnificent guitar work and dynamics, and maybe his best solos (lava) to date. morbid is still death metal and forever kings of the game untill they are finished

dude, winds of creation is by far the more accessible album, Nihility is way more creative and original.

winds still rules though.

hard to choose a favorite, but id say:

morbid angel: formulas
gorguts: obscura
carcass: necroticism
atheist: unquestionable presence

those are *real* progressive metal albums. theres so many other good DM albums, but those are my "great four" (i chose band+album since DM bands have eras id like to forget, like, say, swansong era carcass)

anyone who thinks arch enemy or bloodbath are important need to do some homework

Vital Remains (Dechristianize owns ye all!)
Origin
Cryptopsy
Vehemence
Psycroptic
Athiest
The End
Immolation

its getting harder and harder to find good death metal bands, its all starting to sound the same and i'm listening to less and less death metal as time goes on. *sigh* ahh well.

End.

Uh, I don't usually consider Opeth death, but I can see why people bleed death and black metal together.

Anyways, Opeth followed by Children of Bodom.

gorguts is supposedly working on new material without a drummer now.. thats what i read on a messageboard from someone who had contacted the band this month

i hope its back to the intensity and complexity of obscura, not further watered down as "from wisdom to hate" was

Apocalyptic said:
I agree with you fuck that In flames fan.
And since im to elite i wont even post my list.

I thought I had heard Death Metal until I picked up Suffocation's Pierced From Within only about 2 to 3 years ago. Yes Morbid Angel with Sandoval, Nile with their insanity and ridiculous technical ability, Death, Obituary, Vader, Entombed etc.

A brief history now follows:

I had lost touch with the scene for many years until I picked up Blackwater Park. I then rounded out my history of extreme metal with a few purchases. One of them was Suffocation's Pierced From Within owing much to the review on the sadly neglected site Remnants of Reason.
There has never been an onslaught like Pierced From Within. Unless of course you talk to Suffo fans that prefer their second album Effigy Of The Forgotten which I already owned but had sadly neglected.
The riffs, the complexity is just amazing to the point of total and absolute non-belief. This is the heaviest and most brutal death metal record album of all time (so far, lol) and is simply a required listen for all the Gothenburg devotees to see how brutality and brilliant composition can mix.
The performance by all involved including the bass player for a change is in a word brilliant.
American Death Metal has never been surpassed in this mad vision. Perhaps standing as one of the most amazing moments in not just metal history but music history.

Yes I think it is that good, and feel incredibly reassured yet a little disturbed that it should be that way.
These guys came from another level. That level has never been repeated.

divine_intent and narcisco: i am quite glad to see that people appreciate Pierced from Within. Really Suffocation is the only death metal band i listen to. sure, i'll pop in my morbid angel, nile and obituary cds once every other week for a quick spin, but Suffocation cds are spinning daily. If you guys dont have Despise the Sun yet, i highly suggest you get it. It is yet another phase of Suffo. That was from 98', and we all know that was the last thing they released since they broke up, but now their a band again and playing shows! and they got Mike Smith back!!! (he's the drummer on Human Waste, Effigy and Breeding). He is deffinatly in my top favorite drummers of all time. he stays away from just the normal "brutal blast beats" and makes some incredibly interesting rythems. Check out their album Effigy of the Forgotten if you want proof. But back to Pierced, it is most deffinatly my most played album of all time. And im not even really a metal head anymore either, but everything about the album makes me come back. I've noticed alot of hidden things over the years while listening. The lyrics are some of the best lyrics ever written, ever. And i very much agree with you narcisco, but i'd even say that i think pierced form within is one of the most amazing pieces of artwork (music, poetry, paintings, etc) of all time. simply that good.

in flames is the only metal band i've heard so it's my favorite. yes, i haven't even heard opeth yet but i'm downloading the horse album right now. it sounded brutal from the samples on amazon tho. maybe it will be my favorite

At the moment i'd say Behemoth or Amon amarth, though I am being pulled towards these slightly lesser known bands because I am looking for variety in my music. But Nile still kick ass!!