favorite albums of 2010

Bands previously mentioned
In Mourning - Monolith - Amazing :)
Ikuinen Kaamos - Icons - Amazing :)
Barren Earth - Curse of the red river - Own the ep have ordered the album:)

Not mentioned so far.
Helevorn - Forthcomming Displeasures
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pznkDLaT7d4&feature=related[/ame]
On the edge of the nethierrealm

Throes of dawn - the great fleet of echoes
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi3F7HI4Uvo&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the only 2010 release I purchased this year so far has been ICARUS WITCH - DRAW DOWN THE MOON, which wouldn't interest most folks here.

I have heard really good things about Triptykon. I will keep my eye on it.

Lots of power metal stuff either out already or coming up (IE - Gamma Ray, Helloween, Rhapsody, Dream Evil). Some doom, such as Cathedral and Hour of 13, hopefully Trouble too.

I don't know about Triptykno. Yes it sounds cool, heavy etc. However, the song structures seem overly repititious.

Picked up Triptykon and Alcest this weekend. I honestly wasn't expecting to be floored by either one. Well...Triptykon is a hell of a lot better than I was expecting (Myopic Empire is kicking my ass hard!:kickass:), and Ecailles de Lune could very well be an AOTY contender. It's basically the same formula that Neige has used before, but the songwriting has advanced and the heavy parts pack more of a punch, IMHO. Excellent effort!

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I also got the Barren Earth full length, and I honestly enjoy the EP much more. Maybe I just need to give it more time to "sink in".

I'm really curious about the new Throes of Dawn. I really liked Quicksilver Clouds.

My two favorites of the year are:

Carach Angren - Death Came Through A Phantom Ship
In Mourning - Monolith

Others I really like:

Dark Fortress - Ylem
Demonica - Demonstrous
Echoes - Nature | Existence
Haken - Aquarius
Jack Slater - Extinction Aftermath
Kalmah - 12 Gauge
Sadist - Seasons In Slilence
Triptykon - Eparistera Daimones
Ultrageist - Ultrageist

For those who liked Imperium Dekadenz-Procella Vadens, if you haven't alrready, check out their previous album from 2007, Dammerung der Szenarien(The Twilight Scenario if my German translation is correct) It's flat-out ridiculous, in it contains some beautiful acoustic and piano melodies, but doesn't let up on the aggression. I think it's better than Procella Vadens, simply because the songwriting is more focused and doesn't have the filler found on Procella Vadens. Of course just my humble opinion.

oh, and one I have ordered that I think will be awesome is Christopher Lee's (you know, Dracula, Saruman, Count Dooku)'s concept album about Charlemagne

Overkill - Ironbound
Fear Factory - Mechanize
Godsmack - The Oracle

Also have the new Dark Tranquillity and Poisonblack, but haven't really felt like going back to them as often as the three above.

I don't know why I do this but I buy cds late. Just got around to getting a copy of The Gathering - "The West Pole". Awesome album. So that is my favorite cd of 2010 even though it was released in 2009.

Just got GAMMA RAY'S "To The Metal" Damn fine album. Can Kai Hansen really ever do wrong? Not sure how many GR fans on this forum, but I figured i would mention it.

I also (Speaking of getting releases late), just got the EARTHEN GRAVE CD. All I have to say is.....................DAMN! :headbang:

Well I gotta say, for me personally, so far this year hasn't been too exciting for new releases for me. That Triptykon cd is really good, I've heard a few other decent bits and pieces of things here and there that's ok, but everything else just hasn't really grabbed me. I still find myself listening to the 2009 releases that I really liked quite a bit.

Got Ares Kingdom - Incendiary a few days ago and I think its a pretty damn great release, I hope they tour sometime.

Besides that, my favorites are

Immolation - Majesty and Decay
Martriden - Encounter The Monolith

and thats really it so far. Sigh was pretty good, The End Records sent me a promo copy of Shining - Blackjazz but I didn't really enjoy it. They also sent me Creature With The Atom Brain, which was pretty good as well, but nothing all that special.

I dunno if they're planning on releasing this in 2010 or not, but the newly completed These Are They cd that I got to hear a bit of is REALLY fucking good. Yes I know I might be a bit biased, lol, but honestly I thought it was a big step forward from the last one, writing-wise, production-wise, performance-wise, etc.

Recently bought Anathemas latest album...not their best but some of the songs are just amazing..especially Dreamning Light