favorite albums of 2010

Right now, I'm digging the new discs by Ihsahn and Barren Earth.

AotY looks to be the new one by Brant Bjork.

Neither Alcest nor Triptykon do anything for me. Alcest just isn't that good, and Triptykon just isn't to my thing.

I dunno if they're planning on releasing this in 2010 or not, but the newly completed These Are They cd that I got to hear a bit of is REALLY fucking good. Yes I know I might be a bit biased, lol, but honestly I thought it was a big step forward from the last one, writing-wise, production-wise, performance-wise, etc.

Thanks Lar!

Yes, the new TAT WILL be out in 2010. :headbang:

I like, Alcest--Ecaille de Lune, Les Discrets(Final thoughts of September) and Anathema--Were here because Were here. Almost sounds like a King Crimson title. Balls-out metal, I go with Agrypnie--16[485]. German Black/Death metal.

Really enjoying the new Anathema CD but most of the albums I've bought this year we're released last year. Out of that lot Giant Squid -The Ichthyologist and The Ruins of Beverast - Foulest Semen of a Sheltered Elite have been getting a lot of spins recently.

Didn't mention all the ND albums I've bought this year but they've been getting alot of spins, which reminds me - new month new ND album and I do believe The Knowing is next.

Actually yes. We just listened to what we believe is the final version of The Knowing re-mix, so we should have details on this release soon.

:OMG: I'm actually working my way in reverse chronological order through your albums getting one each month. Will the remastered version be out this month? Do I get Of Sculptured Ivy and Stone Flowers instead this month and skip The Knowing temporarily? Or do I get the Knowing and get the remastered at a later date?

Decisions decisions.

I think people get confused as to the difference between remix and remaster. Remastering is taking the same mix and polishing the sound on it- so it sounds the same as before, just better. ReMIX is a completely different animal. In doing a remix, you basically take the bare tracks and reconfigure them however you want, adding stuff to it, re-recording some tracks or adding new effects and all. It's basically a brand new record. Very few records actually get remixed for a re-release. If I'm not mistaken, Paul's mentioned before the re-release might be a 2-disc release with the original mix as well as the brand new mix.

They're just in the listening phase, so I don't think a release date has been set- it could still be a while before it's released.
So if i were you, i'd go for the Sculptured Ivy re-release first.

I'm interested to hear what the guys did with The Knowing myself. Lots of MOOG and bagpipes I hope :)

As Eric said, the re-release of "The Knowing" is not gonna be out too soon, most definitely not this month or the next. After we turn in the masters to the label, they have to send it off to be manufactured, distributed, etc..... and I have no idea when a specific release date for "The Knowing" will be just yet.

So you can either just skip ahead and get "Of Sculptured Ivy...", or you can go on eBay and try to buy a copy of the original "The Knowing" cd in the meantime. Actually I was just selling an old sealed copy of it on eBay recently!

The re-release will be both a remix and a remaster. So far it sounds really good, the drums and bass sound alot clearer and heavier than on the original in particular. And I think the plan is that we're going to have both the original, unaltered version AND the 2010 remix/remastered version packaged together as a dual-disc or something....not sure if that's still the game plan here or not.

The original mix and remix of the Knowing in one package would be a very good choice! It's the one Novembers Doom album that I don't have, so I'd be interested in hearing both!

The MAIN reason for the re-mix was the drums. Back when we recorded The Knowing, there was no pro-tools, or easy way to edit drums, or do any sound replacement. We were able to take the original tracked masters from digital tape, and bring it into pro-tools, and fix the drum sound. Back then, we had little budget, not the best equipment, and did what we could with it. NOW, the drums sound like they should have originally. Crisp, pounding, and not buried. The bass is louder, and more clear. The vibe and feeling of the original is still there, with just better production.

The ONLY thing that was re-recorded were some clean singing vocals. There were things I wanted to do, that I just couldn't pull off back then, so now I had the chance to sing things the way they were originally meant to be recorded. For example, if you listen to In Faith, a lot of that you can hear a clean sung vocal buried in the background, with a growl over the top. This was because of a poor vocal performance on my part, and just tossed a growl on the top to bury it and hide it. Well, NOW, you'll hear that song the way it was supposed to be. Other songs, we added harmonies, and Silent Tomorrow, I re sang entirely, just as I do it live today. I'm really pleased with it, and I hope you will be as well.

And yes, the CD will be a double CD with both pressings in one package. We should be turning it in to the label in a week or 2.

Sounds pretty interesting. Much more than just a remix of existing tracks. As long as it's not like the re-release of the Star Wars Trilogy with the c.g. crap added. ;)

Some people will love it, some will hate it. You can't please everyone, which is why we're including both versions. The NEW version is how we would have released it all those years ago, if we could have. After listening to the two, I almost feel like the original version is the "demo" in a way. The drums are a HUGE improvement over the original, it's not even close.